What have you been reading recently?

• Please log in to reply
2201 replies to this topic
Drew Drew

By Committee

• Member ID: 2,804
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:52 PM #36 What have you been reading recently?

Hey man, given that I'm remembering those books from 21 years ago or so, I think I'm doing pretty well. Plus, having now gone through the first 6 books online today, I believe it was only ever referred to as a "firesphere" - no "Kalte" included.  smile

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:55 PM #37 What have you been reading recently?

I just read a short book of political humor containing mostly pictures titled Bad President.  It made my day.
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Nick Ringer Nick Ringer

Shaman

• Member ID: 4,324
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:46 AM #38 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:
Just put down E. R. Eddison's  The Worm Ouroboros. Amazing, and a quite new adventure for me, being one of the first books I;ve read written in that type of archaic English.
Was it about immortality, as the title suggests? Or alchemy?
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous

Student of Trinity Student of Trinity

Interloper

• Member ID: 2,306
  • 6,622 posts
  • Locationthe big Hilbert space

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:15 AM #39 What have you been reading recently?

The title does refer to a somewhat peculiar form of immortality, but that isn't really what the story is about.
As long as entropy is doing what we want, we take it for granted, but as soon as it starts killing us, we go all whiny.

Xelgion Xelgion

Blademaster

• Member ID: 5,234
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:10 PM #40 What have you been reading recently?

I'm reading the Pellinor-Series, may seem clee-shay, but thats because 80% of it was stolen and put into Eragon, that bastard.

Taliesin Taliesin

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 5,306
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:39 PM #41 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
Originally written by Drew:
I recently read "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne on a lark. Completely silly given what we know these days, but still a very enjoyable adventure tale.
Journey to the Centre of Avernum, more like. It is an excellent book, and a surprisingly okay movie as well.  smile  

Quote:
by Goldenking:
Animal Farm and Brave New World simultaneously. I'll through Nineteen Eighty-Four in the mix eventually. If only our societies were like that...
I'm reading The Republic by Plato in class. You should check out his "ideal state" if you aren't familiar with it. So far it looks like Sparta being taken over by Big Brother.

Smoo Smoo

Shaman

• Member ID: 3,503
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:48 PM #42 What have you been reading recently?

Now lessee...

Right now I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire. Right now I'm in A Storm of Swords. In the last few months I've read at least:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (which was an okay first book of yet another fantasy trilogy with good characters and dark humor, but a weakish overall plot.)

Domes of Fire by David Eddings (because I hadn't read anything by Eddings before. I was not impressed)

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (I'm pleased to report that absolutely nothing happened in it!)

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (It was okay, I guess.)

I also might have finished rere(possibly-re)reading the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R Scott Bakker (Things still didn't turn out well for Drusas or Cnaiur.)

That about covers what I've been reading (excluding school-related reading) since December.
My Scenarios. Rate them.
In fact, rate Quarhag Pass if you've played it.

Drew Drew

By Committee

• 2,290 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:13 AM #43 What have you been reading recently?

Kel: actually, it was referred to as a Kalte firesphere in later books.   smile   Currently back from vacation; moving on to the ones I never read...

20,000 Leagues under the Sea - not as good as Journey to the Centre of the Earth, in my opinion. While the 19th century take on the science stuff was fun, I don't know if he ever quite succeeded in developing the enigma of Captain Nemo quite enough. Still though - a fun ride.

Fyora Toast With Roamer Butter Fyora Toast With Roamer Butter

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 1,520
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:28 AM #44 What have you been reading recently?

I have been reading Ian Bank's Matter, it is part of the culture series.  I am enjoying it a great deal.  It just came out in February 2008
Philosophical Thoughts on Toast

Does the toast fall butter side up or butter side down from kitchen counter height?

Do your butter your toast on the top or the bottom?-- The Better Butter Battle Book- Dr. Seuss

Locmaar Locmaar

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 4,436
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:49 AM #45 What have you been reading recently?

I've just read 'The Curious Incindent of the Dog in the Night-time' by Mark Haddon. I recommend this book to anybody who likes... uh... to read.

Before that it was 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer, an equally heart-breaking and heart-warming story. Also by the same author, the wonderful 'Everything is Illuminated', made into a fine movie with Frodo Baggins. Lovely.
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae -
a han noston ned 'wilith.

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:32 AM #46 What have you been reading recently?

We recently finished Macbeth in English, which now replaces Romeo and Juliet in my mind as the worst story I've ever read.  I think the only other literature I haven't liked is Fallen  Dragon, which says a lot.
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Toby-Linn Toby-Linn

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,560
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46 PM #47 What have you been reading recently?

I just finished re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis, throughly enjoyed it.

It's funny to get some adult perspective on books you read as a kid....I guess the same goes for movies too.

Next up I'm going to read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, I've heard it's good.

I don't seem to have as much time as I used to for reading books, I guess I'm on the computer too much, playing spiderweb software games   tongue
We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us / A man chooses, a slave obeys. (Andrew Ryan - Bioshock)

Xbox Live - TobyLinn81 ~ Tumblr ~ deviantART ~ Facebook ~ Twitter

Diprosopus Diprosopus

Soldier

• Member ID: 5,534
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:15 PM #48 What have you been reading recently?

Not to question an adult perspective, but by "adult perspective" I assume you mean "perspective of having the most rudimentary of religious indoctrination"?

For clarity's sake, you understand.

Micawber Micawber

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 1,860
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:11 AM #49 What have you been reading recently?

Presumably she means that, as an adult, she is aware of the religious indoctrination, while as a child it was subliminal.

Meanwhile I have finally got around to reading Dune.  It's only taken me 14 years since deciding to read it, to actually open the thing.  Ah the joys of procrastination...

Edit: corrected.  Apologies to TobyLinn
"You sir, are a nitwit." - The Doctor

Gazetteers: Avernum   |  Avernum 2 |  Avernum 3 |  Avernum 4 | Avernum 5 | Avernum 6.  

Toby-Linn Toby-Linn

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,560
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:00 PM #50 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
Presumably he means that, as an adult, he is aware of the religious indoctrination, while as a child it was subliminal.
Yes that is what I meant...and I'm a she by the way    laugh  

As an adult you are aware of the religious/christian aspects of the book, while when a child it sails right over your head. Actually I try not to pay attention to the religious aspect anyways, and just think of it a good fantasy story.

By the way I hope you like Dune, I read it last about 10 years ago and have to re-read it one of these days....this time I have the other four books (I only want to read the ones by Frank Herbert) and can read the rest of the series.
We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us / A man chooses, a slave obeys. (Andrew Ryan - Bioshock)

Xbox Live - TobyLinn81 ~ Tumblr ~ deviantART ~ Facebook ~ Twitter

Drew Drew

By Committee

• 2,290 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:36 PM #51 What have you been reading recently?

It's come up before in related threads, but I think you'll find that "Dune" doesn't age very well. Just as you have come to spot the religious indoctrination points you missed in "The Chronicals of Narnia," I think you'll find that having learned a lot more about the political complexities involved in how the world works, the author's presentation in "Dune" is hopelessly simplistic.

LunaRaven LunaRaven

New Arrival

• Member ID: 5,654
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:05 PM #52 What have you been reading recently?

I am halfway into Terry Brooks', "Elfstones of Shannara" and I will then move onto it's predecessor, "Wishsong of Shannara". Overall, it's an interesting book. I became a Brooks fan with his recent work, so it is nice to take a step back into time and read his earlier series.
"Suddenly the darkness shifted anew, and a huge, tattered form that was not quite human, but not quite anything else, rose against the flicker of the firelight. It came together in a slow gathering of shadows, taking shape but not assuming identity, never quite becoming anything recognizable, formed of dreams and nightmares in equal parts.

'What is it?' Quentin Leah whispered.

'Truls Rohk,' Panax breathed softly, and his words were as chill and brittle as ice in deep winter."-Terry Brooks' The Isle Witch, pg.199

aka Ravenwing aka Ravenwing

Blademaster

• Member ID: 4,728
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:13 PM #53 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
Originally written by LunaRaven:
I am halfway into Terry Brooks', "Elfstones of Shannara" and I will then move onto it's predecessor, "Wishsong of Shannara". Overall, it's an interesting book. I became a Brooks fan with his recent work, so it is nice to take a step back into time and read his earlier series.
I think you mean the successor, Wishsong. I'm a big fan of the series, myself (it's kind of what kicked me off into the fantasy genre of books). I've found a lot of people don't like them much, though. But Elfstones, I think, is one of the best in the series.
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

I like being a bigot. I don't have to come up with a logical rationalization for my beliefs. I can just freely hate.
-Randomizer

A good counter should be broad, flat, hard, level, and quick and easy to clean. I don't believe Nem is any of those things.
-ADoS

My website:  Nemesis' Refuge  (Last Update: 2/8/12)

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:50 PM #54 What have you been reading recently?

The Sword of Shannara was such a blatant rip-off of The Lord of the Rings it almost ruined the later books that started to develop their own style.  After Terry Brooks got over the first novel his later works were much better and relied less on copying Tolkien.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

LunaRaven LunaRaven

New Arrival

• 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:34 PM #55 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
    quote:Originally written by LunaRaven:

I think you mean the successor, Wishsong. I'm a big fan of the series, myself (it's kind of what kicked me off into the fantasy genre of books). I've found a lot of people don't like them much, though. But Elfstones, I think, is one of the best in the series.
Yes, I did mean successor. Thank you for correcting me. Elfstones of Shannara is shaping up to be far better than The Sword of Shannara in my opinion. Although, in my mind, the Voyage to Jerle Shannara series will always be the best of the Shannara series. Who knows though, Mr.Brooks may produce something even more wondrous in the years to come.
"Suddenly the darkness shifted anew, and a huge, tattered form that was not quite human, but not quite anything else, rose against the flicker of the firelight. It came together in a slow gathering of shadows, taking shape but not assuming identity, never quite becoming anything recognizable, formed of dreams and nightmares in equal parts.

'Truls Rohk,' Panax breathed softly, and his words were as chill and brittle as ice in deep winter."-Terry Brooks' The Isle Witch, pg.199

Drew Drew

By Committee

• 2,290 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:46 AM #56 What have you been reading recently?

I read "Sword," but found the writing to be abysmal. Thinking I'd give him another shot, I tried "Elfstones" (I think - that's the one with the dying tree, right?), read the first couple of chapters, made a prediction on the ending, verified that I was correct, and that's the last attention I've paid to Terry Brooks' works. If the payoff isn't that great or is pretty obvious, the getting there should at least be worth it, and I found that it wasn't in his writing.

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:47 PM #57 What have you been reading recently?

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. It's, supposedly, his best book, and it details the life of an American antifascist guerilla working for the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War. Pretty good, and I would recommend it to any fascists here.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

LunaRaven LunaRaven

New Arrival

• 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:58 PM #58 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
I read "Sword," but found the writing to be abysmal. Thinking I'd give him another shot, I tried "Elfstones" (I think - that's the one with the dying tree, right?), read the first couple of chapters, made a prediction on the ending, verified that I was correct, and that's the last attention I've paid to Terry Brooks' works. If the payoff isn't that great or is pretty obvious, the getting there should at least be worth it, and I found that it wasn't in his writing.
I can understand where you're coming from. If I had first read Mr.Brooks' first three books, I don't think I would have given him much thought or attention afterwards. I was lucky enough to get into his more recent works(I started with his High Druid of Shannara series and worked my way back). His later work is a far greater reflection on his skills as a writer. I finished Elfstones and found it enjoyable yet still painfully predictable(yes, it is the story with the dying tree). I think what helped me to get through it was the knowledge I had of his recent works and how great they turned out to be. If anyone were to want to give Terry Brooks a try, I would recommend starting with the Scions of Shannara and then, if they like his style, read his earlier works for kicks. Having said that, Elfstones was, in my opinion, far superior to Swords in it's writing, structure, and overall plot and character development.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:01 PM #59 What have you been reading recently?

"There are no simple questions."  - Deep Thought

Thus starts chapter 3 of  Myth-Chief the latest in the Myth Adventure series by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye.  I wish after the long wait some one had proofed the book after finding a minor mistake in the second chapter and its accompanying footnote to help out new readers.

Also out is Dragons Wild, a new series, by Robert Asprin.  

Hey I don't need to do much now that the taxes are in the mail.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:21 PM #60 What have you been reading recently?

Prayers to Broken Stones, a collection of short stories by Dan Simmons.
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:18 AM #61 What have you been reading recently?

Beginning PHP5. Youpi.

--------------------
(Rez.)
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Blademaster

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:34 PM #62 What have you been reading recently?

I started A Spell for Chameleon, the first book in Piers Anthony's Xanth series, a couple of days ago. Now I just need to find time to read it.

-Lenar

I like being a bigot. I don't have to come up with a logical rationalization for my beliefs. I can just freely hate.
-Randomizer

A good counter should be broad, flat, hard, level, and quick and easy to clean. I don't believe Nem is any of those things.
-ADoS

Upon Mars. Upon Mars.

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 4,796
  • 812 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:29 PM #63 What have you been reading recently?

Quote:
Meanwhile I have finally got around to reading Dune.
Dune is a powerful and well written series of books.
Yes many of us love dune for it's humanity, philosophical ,psychological and biological views on an series of  weird worlds and man's distinct nature. we definitely recommend it.

All praise Omnibus the one who was defeated, shall come back once more !
Documentaries: -Rod Serling on censorship -One pair of eyes BBC documentary -Philosopher Philippe Muray on today's unfreedom in the west.

Other links: -A geneforge walkthrough in Japanese. -War of the worlds. Fan-fic @: http://geneforgeremaker.webs.com/

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:53 PM #64 What have you been reading recently?

By Nemesis:  
Quote:
I started A Spell for Chameleon, the first book in Piers Anthony's Xanth series, a couple of days ago. Now I just need to find time to read it.
No. Don't. The Xanth series is a bottomless mire that will suck dry your very soul. I'm exaggerating, but not by much. I remember the first few being all right, in a campy sort of way. But they just don't end, and all the jokes and plotlines get recycled after a while. I don't remember where I quit, but a quick visit to Wikipedia tells me he's over thirty now.

--------------------
No, Lister, what makes us different from animals is we don't use our tongues to clean our own genitals.
- Rimmer (Red Dwarf)
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:58 PM #65 What have you been reading recently?

Colossus: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire by Niall Fergusson. It actually makes a decent argument for why the American Empire should stay.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,222
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:12 PM #66 What have you been reading recently?

Originally by Dintiradan:
Quote:
By Nemesis:  
Quote:
No. Don't. The Xanth series is a bottomless mire that will suck dry your very soul. I'm exaggerating, but not by much. I remember the first few being all right, in a campy sort of way. But they just don't end, and all the jokes and plotlines get recycled after a while. I don't remember where I quit, but a quick visit to Wikipedia tells me he's over thirty now.
I read Pet Peeve (number 29) a while back and it was definitely... odd. It reads like a novel for fairly young kids, but there's all this sexual content.

Dikiyoba.

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:03 PM #67 What have you been reading recently?

I'll second the admonition against Xanth.  All of his books have curious sexual elements running through them.  So on the one hand you have the Adult Conspiracy, which is kind of funny, but on the other hand you have this really misogynistic element, like the nasty depictions of Chameleon, or Humfrey and his five or six wives (I lost count)... one of the Xanth books is even titled "The Color of Her Panties," though that might be better than his non-Xanth book "If I Pay Thee Not in Gold."
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Blademaster

• 867 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:19 PM #68 What have you been reading recently?

Well I'm almost done with this one! I mainly picked it up because I haven't been reading anything in a while, and I happen to have these… heirlooms… on hand! Although I am getting quite a bit of sexual content and whimsical child-ness! That, and Mr. Anthony seems to like exclamation points! A lot!

-Lenar

-Randomizer

-ADoS

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:29 PM #69 What have you been reading recently?

Wait until you get to the later books and the elipses points.

The problem with all of his writings is that he doesn't make enough per book to make a living so he writes multiple books a year that aren't that good in quality.  When I still read him it was 3 per year.

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:08 PM #70 What have you been reading recently?

I have trouble believing that. The man appears to churn out books that sell decently, and most publishers would refuse books that sell terribly if they have to edit and publish many bad ones instead.

—Alorael, who can easily believe that Piers Anthony publishes deliberately quick work to make more money. That would make a lot more sense if he just wants a living (no crime), can sell them (no crime), and doesn't care about literary integrity (no crime, unfortunately).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users