So I have to play a female sorceress? So much for immersion

hickmanj

Jeff replied 6 months ago that he couldn't afford to make graphic sprites for both sexes for each class. If Avadon sells well enough for him to make a sequel, then there will be a choice of sex for Avadon 2. It takes time and money to make all the graphics so we could have waited longer and/or paid more money to get his games.

Basilisk Games did the same thing for Eschalon: Book 1 where you could only be male.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It will make understanding so much easier.

Originally Posted By: Loyal Servile
thats why in geneforge that shapers can be both as there faces and bodies are hidden,the guardians are obviusly males,and the agents look much like females

Yeah, and the limited graphics for the three Shaper sects is basically responsible for one of the dumbest blunders of G5.

Dikiyoba hopes we don't get any repeats of that in Avadon.

I will say that, despite the low graphics budget, I think it was a really unfortunate choice to make both physically-oriented classes male, and both magically-oriented classes female. Geneforge did the same thing: the combat-specialized Guardian was male, while the magic-specialized Agent (and later, the Sorceress) was female.

On the other hand, SW games have never given out different stat bonuses to different genders, a practice that is all too common. SW deserves some applause for resisting this urge even as Eschalon picks it up.

Originally Posted By: Carington x2
Recalibrate your humor detector. That's a joke.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff has said something to the effect of having the budget for a new set of graphics for Avadon 2. (A2? Ack! Already taken. And Av is not unique either! Abbreviation needed!)

AVD2, perhaps? As opposed to AVR2?

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I will say that, despite the low graphics budget, I think it was a really unfortunate choice to make both physically-oriented classes male, and both magically-oriented classes female. Geneforge did the same thing: the combat-specialized Guardian was male, while the magic-specialized Agent (and later, the Sorceress) was female.

On the other hand, SW games have never given out different stat bonuses to different genders, a practice that is all too common. SW deserves some applause for resisting this urge even as Eschalon picks it up.

Though there were quite a few female guardians in game.

Originally Posted By: null
We could just go with the second letter since the first is taken. V. Bonus points for specifying any sequels with Roman numerals, and forever confuse the world.

I think V would work best. I'm still confused whether Exile is referred to as E or as X, though, since I've seen both used interchangeably.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I think V would work best. I'm still confused whether Exile is referred to as E or as X, though, since I've seen both used interchangeably.

You probably haven't - when you see something like "X3", it means we're talking about *both* Exile 3 and Avernum 3. Same with Blades - if both are being spoken about, it's BoX, otherwise BoE/BoA. Exile has always been "E" and Avernum "A", at least on the boards.

Originally Posted By: meAzuma
Originally Posted By: Dantius

It's a logical assumption, since X and EX sound phonetically identical, and there's no X anywhere in Avernum.

Lies, there is so much a X in Avernum as there is in Exile. They both like anvils too.

Well, if you're taking that line of argument, there's twice as much X in Avernum as in Exile!

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Loyal Servile
thats why in geneforge that shapers can be both as there faces and bodies are hidden,the guardians are obviusly males,and the agents look much like females

Yeah, and the limited graphics for the three Shaper sects is basically responsible for one of the dumbest blunders of G5.

Dikiyoba hopes we don't get any repeats of that in Avadon.

What might that blunder be?

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Av works for me because of pronunciation. I pronounce Avernum as A-ver-num, and Avadon as Av-a-don. Therefore using the first syllable as the abbreviation makes sense.
The first syllable of "Avadon" is still just A. Syllables always begin with a consonant unless there's no consonant present to begin it.

But if it works for you, fine. smile Just know that your explanation is faulty. tongue

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
The first syllable of "Avadon" is still just A. Syllables always begin with a consonant unless there's no consonant present to begin it.
Actually, things aren't so simple. It's true that most languages are traditionally analyzed in terms of CV and CVC syllables. But the phonetic reality is that consonant clusters in the onset or coda affect both preceding and succeeding vowel sounds (primarily through spreading), so when there is just one consonant cluster between two vowels, syllabifying as ©V.CV rather than ©VC.V is not always as clear-cut as it would seem... particularly in English, with its mishmash of pronounciations and its tolerance for obese consonant clusters. There are even reasonable, if hotly contested, arguments made for ambisyllabicity, in which consonant sounds can fit into two syllables: Av-va-don. (See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllable#Syllable_structure)

Well, it's not as if the "chest muscles" on the PC sorceress graphic are all that huge, anyway. I think the biggest problem for making her (or is it him, at this point?) look masculine is the waist-hip ratio and the skirt. The easiest female graphic to gender-mod would probably be Jennell: the looseness of her clothing contributes to an androgynous image, and her shoulders are relatively broad. Her face still appears more traditionally feminine, but that's probably the only part of the graphic one would have to modify. The shaman PC and Nathalie graphics are probably a lost cause, though.

On the flip side, given that their faces and bodies are so concealed, the shadowwalker graphics aren't all that clearly gendered. Especially Shima's: the way his arms and legs are extended makes it hard to discern the relative breadth of his shoulders and hips, whereas the shoulders are clearly broader on the PC graphic. Both blademaster graphics would be harder, though I suppose the bulky armor is a bit androgynous as well.

I'm not entirely sure why I've devoted so much thought to this. I think it's unfortunate that both casters are female, while both fighters are male, but I'm not going to go so far as to mess with the graphics files to change that. And from what he's said, it sounds like Jeff will go the Diablo 3 route on Ava2 and decouple gender and character class.