The Desktop Thread (...yet again)

Callie

We have not had one of these threads in two or three years, so I figured it was about time to start a new one. I also have a new computer, which means I also have a new desktop.

Basically, just take a picture of your desktop and share it here. Fire when ready!

Mine (I need more clutter on there.)

http://i34.tinypic.com/33trvv6.jpg - Not my computer, I just named my folder that a long time ago and never felt like changing that. It doesn't actually have school stuff in it. No one uses it but me, so the image is from me.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2dm6wzk.jpg - Same computer, but my mom doesn't know I have this OS on here too. wink

Quote:
Also, I win the messy award

Ahem. I think not, unless it is awarded solely based on number of items not grid aligned.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic

Originally Posted By: Niemand

Yikes. I'm curious as to what some of those objects are, but I'm kind of afraid of the answers I'd get if I ask.

Taken together they're sort of a cross section of everything I've worked on in past couple of years. And while most of it isn't really all that excitingly weird, even I couldn't tell you exactly what 'what is this file's correct name?' is. tongue

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Taken together they're sort of a cross section of everything I've worked on in past couple of years. And while most of it isn't really all that excitingly weird, even I couldn't tell you exactly what 'what is this file's correct name?' is. tongue

I understand what some of those icons are. I'm only curious as to why one of the folders in named in what appears to be Chinese.

Also, now I do want to know what that files correct name is. tongue

The file named in asian characters is left over from when I was writing the file saving routines for Graphic Adjuster; at one point I made a mistake with converting character encodings and that filename was the result. I assume that it is pure gibberish, but it amused me and so I've kept it.

I too would like to know the correct name of the unknown file. I think that it's a BoE savefile that was corrupted during my investigations into cross-platform file handling in OBoE, but since I accidentally overwrote its name at one point, I can't tell anymore what exactly it was for or what I was doing with it.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Here is mine.

Awww, cute!

I'm not sure how to post a picture of my desktop, but it's not all that interesting anyway. Mine tends to go through varying degrees of disarray as I accumulate random icons and documents over a long period of time, followed by occasional purges where I clean it up significantly. I change the background...oh, probably every few months.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I'm not sure how to post a picture of my desktop

First, take a screenshot of your desktop. For Windows, there is a separate key for it (labeled Prnt Scrn or something similar). For Mac, you'll have to look it up. Macs will automatically save the screenshot to your desktop while Windows just copies it so you'll have to open up an image editing program (Paint will do), paste, and save it. Then find an image uploading site, upload the screenshot, and post the resulting URL here.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Synergy
VCH - I spy a folder on your desktop titled "Reality TV Auditions"...please do tell.

-S-

I applied for Wipeout Canada and Mantracker. Didn't hear from the Wipeout people but as 44,000 Canadians applied that wasn't surprising.

As for Mantracker me and my partner are alternates for season 6, which basically means we'll be doing an episode in late September or October IF one of the teams has to cancel. But that's highly unlikely baring some real disasters, I mean who in their right mind would give up a spot on Mantracker. I'm hopeful for season 7 though.

Originally Posted By: Spddin Ignis
Whoa. Nice picture Iffy, What is it from?

I got it from google ^.^

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Triumph
I'm not sure how to post a picture of my desktop

First, take a screenshot of your desktop. For Windows, there is a separate key for it (labeled Prnt Scrn or something similar). For Mac, you'll have to look it up. Macs will automatically save the screenshot to your desktop while Windows just copies it so you'll have to open up an image editing program (Paint will do), paste, and save it. Then find an image uploading site, upload the screenshot, and post the resulting URL here.

Dikiyoba.

It's the same key for Ubuntu (maybe all versions of Linux?) as for Windows, but it'll give you the option to either save it or put it on the clipboard thingy to paste.

Originally Posted By: Matanbuchus
Originally Posted By: Motherload
http://gamma.nic.fi/~ribla17/tyopoyta_3.jpg

I haven't really changed the structure of the icons in a couple of years. :\ Background photo is from a trip to lapland some years back. Love the contrast.

Areena5 + HoMM3 <3

Also, EV Nova <3.

I've seen videos of the RoaE Settlers game (think it's number 7?), but haven't played it yet - nor any since Settlers IV. Though I can say I've played each of them before that, even the first one. laugh

Edit: I need to stop this habit of immediately doing whatever I think of. Just spent an hour digging out my old CD, getting it to run in DOSBox, playing it and taking a screenshot for Wikipedia. tongue

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus

Also, EV Nova <3.

I've seen videos of the RoaE Settlers game (think it's number 7?), but haven't played it yet - nor any since Settlers IV. Though I can say I've played each of them before that, even the first one. laugh

I'm pretty much: any Settlers game <3
Rise of an Empire is the sixth one and very different from the first four. (I've no idea what the fifth is like) As I understand it's the first one to have PC heroes. The biggest complaint about it is the building of towns, which are all very much entirely alike. It gets dull and repetitive after, say, ten times - or fifteen - or after you've done every campaign and single quests you'd be at about fifty... The Eastern Realm expansion helps a bit though. I'd still recommend for anyone to play as long as they can. tongue

Aran: out of curiosity, do you play Settlers in German or English?

In German (in fact I bought the first three before I was even fluent in English). That's the original version after all. laugh (Come to think of it; Blue Byte is the only German game maker I can think of that made international fame, though my narrow view only really includes the strategy and RPG genre).

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
I know what SC2 stands for. Isn't that worth something?

No, no it is not. In fact, you should hang your head in shame for even trying.

On secondary topic, I haven't got SC2 yet either, though I plan to. I'm not sure if it'll run on my laptop or not though, which is my only computer right now.