G2 Remake Kickstarter page is up

ultra112

• 2 weeks later...

I will be the first to say what we all think: We HAVE to make it to the 80K tier! 

What I noticed from the kickstarter page: 

We have something called "Battle Shaping" Now, which sounds like you can Shape yourself to do stuff. Like throw chain lighting. That's probably Tuldaric's stuff. 

Cockatrice made it to the mountains somehow. 

Shanti is Shanti. 

The "test agent" thinks too highly of herself if she goes toe to toe with 4 rotgroths while she lets the Gazers stand behind nicely. 

There are already several backers for quests and artifacts and that makes me optimistic. 

Edited by alhoon

$100k tier makes me a bit nervous.  Is that an attempt to bring Queen's Wish customizable portrait art style into Geneforge?  It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I think the character art in Geneforge 1- Mutagen and the current GF2 trailer look significantly better than the QW customizable portraits.

1 hour ago, quasius said:

$100k tier makes me a bit nervous.  Is that an attempt to bring Queen's Wish customizable portrait art style into Geneforge?  It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I think the character art in Geneforge 1- Mutagen and the current GF2 trailer look significantly better than the QW customizable portraits.

It says "an entirely new system" and I'm guessing that those 20,000 dollars would buy something slightly more advanced than a paper doll system.

12 hours ago, ultra112 said:

Hmm interesting, so I would assume this would be a battle creation right? If so what kind of skills have you thought of for this creature

not really sure. not my forte. maybe like a charging/ramming enemy and a melee. There's no way to me to back to make a new creature tier so if someone could suggest this(if its good) would be nice

16 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

not really sure. not my forte. maybe like a charging/ramming enemy and a melee. There's no way to me to back to make a new creature tier so if someone could suggest this(if its good) would be nice

Hmm perhaps it would have an ability to spew poisonous thorns in the same fashion as the spitting baton.

6 hours ago, ultra112 said:

Hmm perhaps it would have an ability to spew poisonous thorns in the same fashion as the spitting baton.

yeah thats where the plant feature would come in which would be nice. side note: it looks like we might reach the 60k goal. I'm pushing for 80k but not sure if we'll make it :/

On 2/14/2023 at 3:00 AM, alhoon said:

In the original, yes. But from GF3 and further you could do all the spells that are "locked" without alteration. 

In G4 and G5 that was because you'd been Geneforged.

G3 must have had some explanation for this?  Right?  Maybe?  Or maybe G3 just gonna G3...

On 2/18/2023 at 12:08 AM, metaforest for the pedantries said:

G3 must have had some explanation for this?  Right?  Maybe?  Or maybe G3 just gonna G3...

For GF3/4 it could be, but it was never explained. For GF3... I never got the big spells anyway. 

On 2/18/2023 at 4:19 AM, Genernumlover said:

Looks like it might hit the 60k new story, but I doubt it will reach the 80k or 100k.

Well, there's 17 more days. I believe we may get to 80K. That's a "secret" storyline about hard-to-reach things. 
That could VERY WELL be Ghaldring's door! The one you can't open in GF2. 

Regardless: The game will have -10 new quests- just from backers, and 10 new artifacts! 

Edited by alhoon

I'm also assuming all the backer artifacts from G1 will return (Queen's Wish 2 included backer artifacts from the first game, so we have precedence!). By the time we hit G5, we're going to have more artifacts than we know what to do with.

I can see it hitting 80k, Kickstarters tend to get a large boost in the last few days. However, since we ran out of the high price backer options, I don't think it will be as big of a boost as some Kickstarters end up getting toward the end.

Spiderweb Software is remastering another classic RPG | PC Gamer

"The Geneforge series [...] was our first game series where we totally abandoned the idea of good or bad guys. These games are full of different factions, some of them truly strange. I wanted all of them to be able to argue their case. You can choose to join any of them and still get a satisfying ending. I still love that."

I don't agree with that statement. Perhaps it can be argued that Shapers are "a necessary evil" to control something as powerful as Shaping despite being horrible to Outsiders (the Common, nowdays) and creations. 

But the entire Bazrite pitch, from what I remember from talking with Bazral in GF2 was "We want the power and not the limitations!" The Bazrites were WORSE on the creations than the Shapers, with pylons to keep the smart and powerful creations suffering to keep them under control. And they didn't have the checks and balances of the Shapers. More or less they had the bad of the shapers at 150% and whatever good the Shapers had at 25% at most. They were even letting their cannister-crazies walk around willy-nilly. Unlike the Drakons and the Takers, the Bazrites have absolutely no excuse for becoming like this. They just like it. No "we have to break some eggs and get power so that we can ensure our survival!" from the Drakons and Drayks that are all marked for death just for existing or "We have to use bad tactics to break the chains of the Shapers" for human rebels and serviles. 

There is something in their unrelenting and irresponsible quest for power and boot-in-the-neck domination but they are (at least IMO) very clearly the bad guys.

Specifically for GF2 now, while the Shapers can argue their case... let's not start about their poster-boy and faction leader, Lying Zachary the Deceiver. OTHER Shapers can make the case for the Loyalists even though I disagree with them. Zakary? Nooope. I hope the endings where he is executed by the Shapers for his treason is upheld.

And I hope he suffers... 

Edited by alhoon

On 2/18/2023 at 12:08 AM, metaforest for the pedantries said:

Not so sure that this is true Metaforest. 

In GF4 and GF5 there are mages serving the Shapers that can use the Kill spell. These can't have been geneforged or Tuldaric'ed 

On 2/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, sails From lamplit havens said:

Hmm.  Good point!  Maybe Tuldaric's alteration method (which didn't require an actual Geneforge) became more widespread?  Or maybe somebody came up with a more accessible version of the spell(s) that didn't require alteration.

Or, quite probably, Tuldaric's alteration provides quick and easy access to magic power that is emulated in the game by these spells. What I mean is that after Tuldaric's transformation you can work to quickly learn uber-powerful magic. At GF2, this uber-powerful magic is shown with said spells in the game mechanics while in later games that's not shown that way. 

Or, as you said, Tuldaric-version of kill spell is more powerful in-lore than GF4 kill spell in-lore. (Or even in the game; I don't have GF2 and GF4 installed to compare the two). For GF5, with the increased hp and all, with the kill spell you can't kill a mid-level guard so, it's already "nerfed" in a way.  
Or simply the ritual cuts off years of study that would allow a mage to reach the level where he could learn those spells. 

However, as I recall, Tuldaric's main achievement was that Tuldaric'ed Serviles could cast magic without dying and without scarring themselves and becoming like the weird cultist serviles of Geneforge.  

Edited by alhoon

18 hours ago, Kennedy said:

For the "Add a New Character!" backer reward, would adding a character that would function as a companion like Greta or Alwan in Geneforge 3 be something that would be allowed or would that be too overpowered? Maybe something to consider as a stretch goal at $120K

In the original GF2 there were actually a lot of traveling companions you could get(2 of them leave after you reach a certain area). IMO, I think it could maybe work middle-end of the game

Edited by Amira The Hot Potato

13 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

In the original GF2 there were actually a lot of traveling companions you could get(2 of them leave after you reach a certain area). IMO, I think it could maybe work middle-end of the game

Were you able to control them? Other than Mutagen the only other Geneforge I've completed was part 5, and I don't think the few creations that would follow me in Mutagen were able to be controlled .

Edited by Kennedy

10 hours ago, Kennedy said:

Were you able to control them? Other than Mutagen the only other Geneforge I've completed was part 5, and I don't think the few creations that would follow me in Mutagen were able to be controlled .

iirc yes but in the remake that might change. hope it doesnt

5 hours ago, ultra112 said:

I think we could expand the amount of companion through the add a new character reward

Curious to know what would you guys add? in the early areas we had

Spoiler

the thahd and that warrior

after the discovery you can

Spoiler

get the vlish,rat and roamer(my favorite) later.