G2 Remake Kickstarter page is up

ultra112

On 2/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, Kennedy said:

Were you able to control them? Other than Mutagen the only other Geneforge I've completed was part 5, and I don't think the few creations that would follow me in Mutagen were able to be controlled .

In GF5, the Servile that comes with you during the tutorial can be controled, can't see? 

On 2/27/2023 at 3:45 AM, Kennedy said:

There's a topic about creations that join your party in GF2  at:

https://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/11806-creations-that-join-your-party/

but it doesn't mention if any of them can be directly controlled by the player.

I'll replay gf2 for the 1000th time soon but I do remember controlling the rat and roamer(wasn't interested in the vlish and others) but I think you needed to add a point of intelligence to therm

On 3/4/2023 at 12:48 PM, Amira The Hot Potato said:

I'll replay gf2 for the 1000th time soon but I do remember controlling the rat and roamer(wasn't interested in the vlish and others) but I think you needed to add a point of intelligence to therm

If they take up a spot in the party roster then it would make sense that you would be able to control them.

18 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

well yeah? I thought thats what you were talking about. Are you saying you want to be able to control creations not in the party?

No, if they are not in the party then controlling wouldn't make that much sense and may be harder to code. Hopefully the Kickstarter will be able to reach the 80K goal.

18 hours ago, Randomizer said:

Only as enemies in GF4. :)

Th cockatrice was seen in a GF2 remake screen shot for creation types under the ornk.

Yeap, I saw. I hope they change it with a new creation, not put another quest for the Cockatrice. I don't mind if Cockatrice is in GF2, I simply won't create it. But I want a quest about some more useful creation. 

11 hours ago, Amira The Hot Potato said:

The only thing I slightly disliked about the cockatrice at first was it didn't have missile attack, though the other abilities made up for it. Getting dazed from its melee attack was a nice touch. I think that was one of my suggestions

Well, dazed from the melee attack was not bad but I use mostly-ranged "parties".

Which brings me to: Let's hope we get the Shock Thrall (you know from GF5) for GF2! 

A great thank you to Spiderweb games for the "close enough, we say!"  

While I am pretty sure that I won't find that secret storyline, I am happy that it is there. It will keep people returning to this game for longer (even if they use guides to find/solve it) and that means next game will have more love and traction.

One thing that really stood out in the kickstarted email I got was ... the editor Jeff Vogel uses. 😐

OK, I understand he knows it too well but honestly, this thing seems quite hard to use, compared to the "Geneforge Modding Suite" by @TheKian

11 hours ago, ultra112 said:

I wonder if Jeff will expand the roles of the demons in infestation as well

I hope the entire thing with the demon would be removed. Also, I never finished that quest. Demons in GF seem like introducing lightsabers in Skyrim. They are out of place. A malevolent shade, yes. But that's a creation, not a spirit. 

1 hour ago, ultra112 said:

Not really, I mean Geneforge for the most part is still fantasy, so the idea of having demons in it isn't far off, besides we could explore more on why it's forbidden

True, but fantasy could well mean elves and orcs and goblins. I don't want those in the game either. :) Anyway, that's my own personal preference. 

8 hours ago, alhoon said:

A malevolent shade, yes. But that's a creation, not a spirit. 

Actually, it isn't always.  Some shades are creations; others are basically ghosts; still others are manifested by crystals.  This was already the case in Geneforge 1, so demons weren't really new in this regard.

I don't particularly love the demons either... but the series also includes creations that are thinly-veiled fantasy staples like drakes, beholders, trolls, giant slugs, and giant bugs -- not to mention all the golems.  And cockatrices in the remake!  The truly unique creations are basically limited to the vlish and glaahk.

Re "lightsabers in Skyrim" -- or like swords in Geneforge!  Jeff originally started designing Geneforge without traditional fantasy elements, including swords.  He changed the design because he looked at the history of SF RPG sales and figured he could compromise.

13 hours ago, questionmarket superscrip said:

Actually, it isn't always.  Some shades are creations; others are basically ghosts; still others are manifested by crystals.  This was already the case in Geneforge 1, so demons weren't really new in this regard.

I don't particularly love the demons either... but the series also includes creations that are thinly-veiled fantasy staples like drakes, beholders, trolls, giant slugs, and giant bugs -- not to mention all the golems.  And cockatrices in the remake!  The truly unique creations are basically limited to the vlish and glaahk.

Re "lightsabers in Skyrim" -- or like swords in Geneforge!  Jeff originally started designing Geneforge without traditional fantasy elements, including swords.  He changed the design because he looked at the history of SF RPG sales and figured he could compromise.

OK, I admit GF has ghosts. GF1 has a lot of them and it's only in GF3 I think that we learn some are shades... I think. The shade in the first area of GF1:M ... is it a ghost or a creation? Do we know? 

Anyway, GF5 (or was it GF4?) has a king's ghost with his guys. GF... ??? has some necromancer that sent his soul to a golem. 

It is indeed clear that there are forms of magic the all-powerful shapers are crap at, and that includes necromancy - while others do (or did) have powers over it.
(Exception: Moseh the Necromancer in GF4. The one Shaper I know that was blasting necromancy. My poor servile friend. :(

"Swords in Geneforge" <== You have to admit that the batons are much better than "guns!" or "'Laser guns!!!" or "Magic wands!!!" (we do have magic wands but so does everyone else) and "Living tools" is a much better (at least IMO) stand for "a bag of lock picks, multi-tool knives etc". Ornks are quite probably a quick shortcut to not put chicken/sheep/pigs/cows but use a simple, single farm animal as 'placeholder'. But man, it works so much better and makes the world RICHER not poorer. And I honestly love the Door-creations. That Taygen killed probably locking hundreds of Shapers inside their rooms or outside their labs. 
And I like that mines are suicidal creations and not (always) holed-out crystals and magic bombs. Shapers should use other mages more, IMO. Handling the creation-mines is as we learn in several games a very dangerous profession. Much better to use magic ones like ... there are some here and there in GF, I think. Crystals, not creations. 

Golems: I don't like the golems too much either for GF. I prefer them from ghosts and I prefer both from demons. 
HOWEVER, for golems, I may simply be biased because they very often kick my butt. Same reason I like drakons but not the Unbound. 

Beholders/Dragons/drakes: Those are lovely and in-theme IMO. The Shapers made them in this universe so it's all good IMO, thematic. 🙂
I wouldn't mind werewolves either to be honest! Well, not curse-transmitted lycanthropy, but a kind of human-looking shapeshifter. Creation or natural. I also consider it thematic. 

I certainly wouldn't mind a Hydra (Regenerating multi-headed snake) or a giant (like tralls being 20 ft tall and taking a good part of the screen, which it would be unyieldy for the engine I think). I also consider cockatrice thematic even if I don't like it. 

And after the above... back to your accurate observation:  

Yes, if the game has (and it has) ghosts and "other" forms of magic, sure it can be a case of: "we call THIS malevolent spirit 'demon' and THAT malevolent spirit "ghost" and the strange malevolent spirit in the prelude of GF5 'power' ". 
You are absolutely right on that. 

So, I get back to "Meh, I don't like calling some malevolent spirits in GF universe as 'demons'. I would prefer them to be creations. That also goes for ghosts but to a lesser degree. Drayk/Dragons for the win! Drakons are not dragons. And we need a shapeshifter race, or a shapeshifting creation!" 

Edited by alhoon

6 hours ago, alhoon said:

OK, I admit GF has ghosts. GF1 has a lot of them and it's only in GF3 I think that we learn some are shades... I think. The shade in the first area of GF1:M ... is it a ghost or a creation? Do we know? 

Anyway, GF5 (or was it GF4?) has a king's ghost with his guys. GF... ??? has some necromancer that sent his soul to a golem. 

It is indeed clear that there are forms of magic the all-powerful shapers are crap at, and that includes necromancy - while others do (or did) have powers over it.
(Exception: Moseh the Necromancer in GF4. The one Shaper I know that was blasting necromancy. My poor servile friend. :(

"Swords in Geneforge" <== You have to admit that the batons are much better than "guns!" or "'Laser guns!!!" or "Magic wands!!!" (we do have magic wands but so does everyone else) and "Living tools" is a much better (at least IMO) stand for "a bag of lock picks, multi-tool knives etc". Ornks are quite probably a quick shortcut to not put chicken/sheep/pigs/cows but use a simple, single farm animal as 'placeholder'. But man, it works so much better and makes the world RICHER not poorer. And I honestly love the Door-creations. That Taygen killed probably locking hundreds of Shapers inside their rooms or outside their labs. 
And I like that mines are suicidal creations and not (always) holed-out crystals and magic bombs. Shapers should use other mages more, IMO. Handling the creation-mines is as we learn in several games a very dangerous profession. Much better to use magic ones like ... there are some here and there in GF, I think. Crystals, not creations. 

Golems: I don't like the golems too much either for GF. I prefer them from ghosts and I prefer both from demons. 
HOWEVER, for golems, I may simply be biased because they very often kick my butt. Same reason I like drakons but not the Unbound. 

Beholders/Dragons/drakes: Those are lovely and in-theme IMO. The Shapers made them in this universe so it's all good IMO, thematic. 🙂
I wouldn't mind werewolves either to be honest! Well, not curse-transmitted lycanthropy, but a kind of human-looking shapeshifter. Creation or natural. I also consider it thematic. 

I certainly wouldn't mind a Hydra (Regenerating multi-headed snake) or a giant (like tralls being 20 ft tall and taking a good part of the screen, which it would be unyieldy for the engine I think). I also consider cockatrice thematic even if I don't like it. 

And after the above... back to your accurate observation:  

Yes, if the game has (and it has) ghosts and "other" forms of magic, sure it can be a case of: "we call THIS malevolent spirit 'demon' and THAT malevolent spirit "ghost" and the strange malevolent spirit in the prelude of GF5 'power' ". 
You are absolutely right on that. 

So, I get back to "Meh, I don't like calling some malevolent spirits in GF universe as 'demons'. I would prefer them to be creations. That also goes for ghosts but to a lesser degree. Drayk/Dragons for the win! Drakons are not dragons. And we need a shapeshifter race, or a shapeshifting creation!" 

In GF1, I don't think we know(or ever will) if its a creation or ghost. If you ask it both questions it doesn't or can't answer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...