Spiderbus Discussion Thread

keira

This thread is for OoC (Out of Character) discussion of the Spiderbus RP. Please feel free to talk about the RP and discuss plots, or whatever you do when talking about RPs.

Let's keep all OoC discussion in this thread, though, so the IC stays consistent and somewhat-legible.

anyway, after the break is a post by trenton, that i sacrificed to the ipb because oops.

[Out of Character]Oh god. I haven't seen this since, like, 6 months ago. Are we doing this again?

Last time I was really crabby over something personal related and I took it out on everyone. >.> I sucked.

Apologies, again.

I'll have to go back to the old thread and catch up.[/Out of Character]

Edited by صيلي
Well, the whole forum preserving post order time thing sure is awkward

(OOC: I always associate it with Hendrix, because I heard the Hendrix version long before I even knew there was a Dylan version - much less that Dylan wrote it originally. But you're right, it was originally a Dylan a song.)

Edit: Sorry for the double post - I didn't want to mix in-charcter and out-of-character.

As the Harehunter worked the stack of plates, he heard in the background The Reverend playing "Voodoo Child", but it sounded different than the version he knew.

The image of a Dallas boy, wearing a cowboy hat with a fuzzy tail on it crossed his vision. On the guitar he played were the letters "SRV".

He was starting to feel a bit temperamental, when another wave of nausea overtook him.

He turned to see his reflection in the Looking Glass beside him, and was shocked by what he saw.

jackalope1.gifLepus Temperamentalis

http://www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm

Must have been that music The Rev was playing.

Cowboys are the Bosses in this zone. They are like Augmented Trajkov + Augmented Goettsch + Every Other Shaper in the history of Shaping. Combined.

My bad. I just saw something about "Dallas" and "Cowboy" and busted out my dueling pistols. Nice poetry.

Edited by The Reincarnated Baron von Steuben

(ooc: if you would have read all the post you would have seen that the door was already open. and you've been a member since 2009 why are you still getting pronouns wrong.)

Edited by صيلي
if you are going to post in the rp at least have the decency to read the entirety of other participant's posts

I dunno, from my point of view a plot is finally starting to become coherent (of course, if you couldn't tell from my latest post, I have planssssss :p).

Acty, Diki, and myself have been discussing a fair amount in the deep dark /msg's of the calref chat, at this point we've (mostly diki and acty) been doing a lot of the more recent guidance re: the plotline. Although, I'd like to think that as an RP is a collaborative thing, there's nobody "calling the shots".

really, though, that's one of the reasons this thread was created, so that hopefully more people can get in on the loop.

Who runs the show - is it Actaeon or Diki ?

Jewels. Then Sylae and Diki keep Jewels in check, and I keep them in check- which really just consists of keeping the dinosaurs and ponies to a minimum. Really, though, I do think collaboration is essential. The key is to get a sense of where everyone's headed, and trying to avoid clashing or interrupting the flow. Some posts seem, to me, superfluous, while others provide interest and inspiration (Jewels and SoT's opening posts are good examples of the latter).

I'm very sorry if I screwed up people's lovely plans for the castle by wrecking the place. If anyone really wants to go back there, though, I think we've gotten a fair amount of physical wiggle room established by now. Weird stuff happens 'round the bus. So anyone who wants could probably rebuild it like Aladdin's palace. One iBeast attack probably can't really destroy a whole castle.

The RP had just started to lag, with few and short posts for a few days. I thought it was better to do something than let it fade away.

I'm not sure what anyone else wants out of this thing, but I really do want resolution and focus. I want stuff to happen and the story to culminate somehow. I really don't care how. I'll do my best to play along with anything that seems to be going somewhere. Feel free to make Trinit Eye a villain or a victim or whatever your idea requires. Otherwise, Trinit Eye is just that old trope, the deranged Apple fanboi eyebeast. He's obsessed with (a) tracking down the conspiracy and ( B) vision. So if nobody else gives a lead, my plan is just to start deciding what he thinks the conspiracy is about, kind of at random.

How much direction are people willing to take? Obviously chaos isn't working, but acting out a plot that's already be aired publicly is hardly better. Y'all seem to be experts on this sort of thing.

How would this work: those of us inclined to move the plot forward (that is, be in the know to some extent) can meet on CalRef or AIM at a predetermined time and work out the kinks from start to finish. The rest of those participating will just be along for the ride- free enough to keep things interesting but not so wild as to confuse things further.

Our other options include letter things continue as is, locking the thread, abandoning it, or starting from scratch.

In the mean time, SoT, I think you should take advantage of the fact that you can apparently see dead people.

I'm very new at this, so I'd prefer just to go along with whatever anyone else would like to do. I'll leave developing the plot in everyone else's capable hands :). However, it would be nice to know the general direction things are headed, so my posts will at least make sense if not advance the story.

Jewels. Then Sylae and Diki keeps Jewels in check, and I keep them in check- which really just consists of keeping the dinosaurs and ponies to a minimum. Really, though, I do think collaboration is essential. The key is to get a sense of where everyone's headed, and trying to avoid clashing or interrupting the flow. Some posts seem, to me, superfluous, while others provide interest and inspiration (Jewels and SoT's opening posts are good examples of the latter).

Wait... what?? I'm in charge? WooHoo! One big giant complicated plot twist, coming up!

*turns to find Sylae and Diki standing in her path with frowns on their faces*

Or... maybe I'll just stand over here and kick the rubble...

Hey, Sy, if you want me in the loop can you PM me the pertinent chat logs?

@SoT: Don't worry about the forum rubble. That's what backups are for. >:oK

I'm still wondering about that blue spot. It seems that Randomizer has stepped out for a bit, Student(s) of Trinity is busy making a mole hill out of a mountain, which leaves Schrodinger's Cat, and as is typical, that darn cat ain't talking. I was speculating that we time traveled, either backward or forward. Apparently, Dikiyoba has found that we've traveled back in time. Sylae is doing a berry good job in the food department, and maybe the Reverend can figure out the sound barrier.

Just the ramblings of an old rabbit.

Since I didn't introduce the blue spot into the RP, I don't know what it is. My only reference to Maxwell's Demon is from Christopher Stasheff's series of A Wizard in Rhyme.

I suppose I can add a gripe about the young whippersnappers wrecking the place. I'm still thinking about it.

@ Jewels: Triumph doesn't have a sword, and as an only quasi-corporeal light being is not likely to feel menaced by the feathered fiend in the way described. FYI. :D

You must have picked up one sticking out of a rock somewhere. >.> I don't know how you got it man or why you're pointing it at me... you're supposed to make up that part. :p

(maybe there's a giant spider on my head or something...)

Kudos to Harehunter for exactly translating Trinit Eye's UTF-8 code. Yes, I actually did begin by saying, "Jimmy's fallen down the well!" Then I couldn't find an online translator that would do binary back to plain text, so I figured that nobody else would be able to translate the binary, so I just left it as gobbledegook.

Kudos to Harehunter for exactly translating Trinit Eye's UTF-8 code. Yes, I actually did begin by saying, "Jimmy's fallen down the well!" Then I couldn't find an online translator that would do binary back to plain text, so I figured that nobody else would be able to translate the binary, so I just left it as gobbledegook.

I used this.

I'm totally lost in this game. I want to play but it's moving very fast, I don't want to interfere with other people's stories, and I know zip about Doctor Who. At least with Sylae's and Aran's ponies you could more or less ignore the backstory to ponies as it's more or less irrelevant beyond "talking ponies, some have wings, they can pick things up with their hooves." But Nikki seems to have become one of the actual Doctors from the show, and I don't know how to respond to that. I'm just sitting idly by in the bus with my two stuffed toys, unable to do anything. :(

Well, so maybe it's not exactly Dr. Who. Maybe it's more of a Dr. What. That is: It has a time- and space-traveling vehicle that looks like a London police box from the 1970's.

Other than that, it could be anything, still. And for that matter it's established Who canon that Dr. Who's TARDIS frequently malfunctions. So it can pretty much still be anything at all.

What would it have to be, to be something you could work with?

I'm totally lost in this game. I want to play but it's moving very fast, I don't want to interfere with other people's stories, and I know zip about Doctor Who. At least with Sylae's and Aran's ponies you could more or less ignore the backstory to ponies as it's more or less irrelevant beyond "talking ponies, some have wings, they can pick things up with their hooves." But Nikki seems to have become one of the actual Doctors from the show, and I don't know how to respond to that. I'm just sitting idly by in the bus with my two stuffed toys, unable to do anything. :(

Well I'm thinking of taking the blue box idea out for a spin... and out from the story so that ADOS may feel better about not having to confront the D.W head-on.

If it really pleases everyone.

I've gone ahead and made an emergency cleanup post, to try to make things make more sense. In the process I've sort of killed your character, Upon Mars. At the beginning, you were small and living in the engine of the bus. Now suddenly you're a Martian in a human golem? I had Doctor Who kill that character and redirected you toward the earlier idea, although of course pending discussion here, I can edit my post as we determine is appropriate, if we change our minds before we carry on too much with the story. I let you remain a Martian, but a more reasonable Martian. If you object, we can TALK about it.

Speaking of reasonable, I can't be the only one who has to keep things family friendly, Upon Mars. Are you aware that prior to my "fixing", The Doctor was Nikki, and the TARDIS was Tyran? You just took a dump in a moderator's mouth. If that's not a bannable offense I don't know what is. :p (JK)

On that note, I want to emphasize to EVERYONE PARTICIPATING IN THE RP, in a most hearty fashion, the following bits of advice, to make our collaborative storytelling most effective:

1. Try to put a little THOUGHT into your posts, because if you post hastily or if you post things that make the story more and more complex unnecessarily, it makes it harder for people to have fun, and the story will never reach a conclusion.

2. READ other people's posts CAREFULLY, because when you miss things (such as the fact that the bus LEFT THE FORUMS and was NO LONGER NEXT TO THEM, yet people kept carrying on as though the woods were right next to the forums WHICH THEY WERE NOT), and you post based on misunderstanding what they were saying, it makes the story make no sense, and everyone has to scramble to accommodate you, often in ways detrimental to the story.

3. Try not to "godmod", which means trying to take singlehanded control of the way the story will progress. This is directed at you and your barrier, MMEXPERT, but also to anyone who tries anything similar. The story is supposed to be COLLABORATIVE, meaning we work together to tell it, and when you try to force everyone to do it your way, it's fun only for you, and then people lose interest and it's not fun for anyone anymore.

4. Lastly, generally be POLITE! Pooping in other characters is not okay! Be respectful of other players, and try to remember that EVERYONE here wants to have a good time, and you should afford others the same respect you wish to be afforded yourself.

Keep all this in mind, and if you have any concerns or if you're not sure your post idea makes sense or is a good idea, POST IN THIS DISCUSSION THREAD AND ASK! That's why it's here!

Have fun, everyone!

fwiw, i did not intend the tardis to be used as anything other than a translator and a bit of comedy relief. it made sense because nikki and tyran are die hard dr. who fans. (just like sylae is a die hard mlp fan). anyone who tries to take it out for a spin has no sense of consideration for the actual goal of the rp. being able to talk to each other, on the other hand, is kind of necessary to progressing the story. no one has to know anything about dr. who to interact with nikki. he's still nikki. nikki in a doctor suit! just like sylae is still sylae as a pony.

Edit: *reads new posts*

:rolleyes:

"rrawrrar"

(oh now that just makes it all better. what happened to nikki knowing that the tardis was tyran? what happened to nikki knowing he's nikki? what happened to actually being able to understand each other so we can figure out what's going on and fix it?)