Windows is out[G5]

Mike B.

We thought the game would be done in March. We did better than expected. :-)

There is always a lag between uploading the demo and announcing it. This gives us time to check the uploads to make sure no file corruptions have slipped in. Downloading unannounced releases is almost entirely safe, but you never know.

Anyway, we plan to officially take the game live sometime today (Thursday).

- Jeff Vogel

I think Rawal or what ever his name is blind...

I went PAST him into the creation room, and then I opened the Vat and the Foyas came out. So I run to Rawal and hide behind him. He takes care of ALL of them except for ONE which attacks him. He thinks I attacked him and I well die...

Playing it now, and it's great!

Had a weird bug when I first started playing....my character wouldn't move when I clicked on the floor. After I saved it and reloaded the game from the title screen it worked fine.

Later on I realized the character probably didn't move because the blue selection circle wasn't on her at the time.

Originally Posted By: Jeff
Fyoras have looked like that since the line art for Geneforge 2. :-)

The fyora in G2 did not have eyes that would rival a giant squid's in size and was a bit pudgy in the body as opposed to being morbidly obese in the tail.

Seriously, what's going on with that tail? Is it storing a wheel just in case the fyora-mutant gets hit hard enough to explode or something?

Dikiyoba.

Wow, I'm totally hooked. I'm dien' to get out of the Whitespires and explore the rest of the world. Not even G4's begining levels to this one. The graphics are great too, including the intro music. Money's in the mailbox as we speak.

I'd like to point out on thing though. The new text box at the buttom? Sometimes, if a message is to long, the peace/fight mode button overlaps the text. Aside from that, so far this is your best work yet smile

The Last Archon

Quote:
Randomizer: Join the Shapers, they pay better.
Doom Warrior: What about the rebels? They have good loot, and they are more righteous.
I'm sure both are good paths, but for now I'll ride the fence as usual, thanks. I can still find plenty of money; I am, after all, the pack rat extraordinaire. wink
Originally Posted By: Spidweb
Don't worry. You'll get plenty of money in the long run. Instead, be happy that you don't have to worry about hauling out every spoon and shovel.
Don't worry about my lack of cash; that's half the battle, thanks to my playing style. With the new item values, it'll be tougher on me in the short term, but I can all but guarantee I'll be swimming in gold by the endgame.

So far so good, except though I'm not sure yet where the big difference is in starting as a shaper or a rebel, as you're pretty much treated as a rebel anyway.

And I can't wait to get that control tool out of my chest so Rawal can feel the receiving end of my spells. Believe me, I want him dead.

- Archmagus Micael

My biggest complaint so far, aside from the bad continuity, is that the demo area is far too short. It seems to be a growing trend with SW, though - back in the days of A1, you got a quarter of the game, more or less. With A3, you got about a huge portion of the surface to mess around in. Now, we're given 10 zones, 3 of which are all linked anyway.

I can understand that JV doesn't want to give too much away, both in terms of plot and actual game-area, but isn't the demo supposed to hook me in, and get me wanting to buy the full game?

I don't know, I'm with Nikki on this one, the demo just felt really short. I've pretty much done all I can in the demo now, short of breaking into the repository. And I may do that before I buy it.

If only the exchange rate wasn't so bad right now.

But so far the game is really good, though maybe Jeff should open up an area or two more- because as Nikki said, we've only got an 1/8 of the game now, and if I hadn't already followed the series, I'm not sure how hooked I would be. As it is though, I think it's time to start saving.

- Archmagus Micael

By Indie game standards, Spiderweb Software games have enormous demos. The Geneforge 5 demo has over a tenth of the game, with at least 5 hours of varied gameplay. There are not many other successful Indies (or any at all?) that give as much for free. Go to one of the game services and you'll find that an hour of play, max, is routine. Sometimes less.

So no apologies here, I'm afraid. And, since our sales have been very strong since we tightened up the demo sizes, I really don't think it's hurting us overall.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
By Indie game standards, Spiderweb Software games have enormous demos. The Geneforge 5 demo has over a tenth of the game, with at least 5 hours of varied gameplay. There are not many other successful Indies (or any at all?) that give as much for free. Go to one of the game services and you'll find that an hour of play, max, is routine. Sometimes less.

So no apologies here, I'm afraid. And, since our sales have been very strong since we tightened up the demo sizes, I really don't think it's hurting us overall.

- Jeff Vogel

Let me try and explain what I meant earlier. Of course, I was complaining that the demo felt too short - I won't go back on that. Maybe I was spoiled on the larger demos of your earlier games? But, I do still appreciate that we are getting a nice big slice of game. I think the problem, for me at least, is that the demo for G5 seems too self-contained. You get to fight and kill the !Spoiler!, which wraps up the start of the game really nicely, but I felt it didn't leave enough lose ends dangling to draw me on. There is no Shanti to search the world for, no curse we need removing.

Maybe I'm just being greedy - I can see that anything less wouldn't give a player a proper taste of the game, whilst anything more would probably be giving too much away. Nor can I argue with the fact you say sales are strong - though I'd put this down to the better writing you're churning out, and the more immersive plots you're captivating us with, than demo size. wink

It was just my tuppence-worth - as a new player to the world of Geneforge, I might not have been drawn in, and tempted to buy the full game. As it is, I've played, and enjoyed, the series from the very beginning, and I will end up buying G5 - I just wish I felt as excited entering this game as I did the rest.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
no curse we need removing.

The control tool doesn't count?

I also noticed that the demo was short and self-contained, but I don't think that's a weakness. It shows that Jeff can tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It gives a sense of the modularity of a fair amount of the game, so no false advertising. There are enough hooks left: the control tool, your identity, the task you're given immediately afterwards, the rebels you have barely met.

—Alorael, who doesn't think something like the E1 demo is really a good idea. That gives you approximately half the game with the map split approximately half-way between the east and west edges. E2 gives you three out of four chapters, although of course chapter four is a literally huge lie. The demos have been steadily shrinking ever since.