Windows is out[G5]

Mike B.

Originally Posted By: Flights of Fiction

The control tool doesn't count?

I did consider this, but right now it doesn't seem that important a plot device. I've been told several times that I can have it removed, and, worse, I've been expressing rebellious views pretty openly, and nothing has happened.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
And what will happen? He triggers it, and I die? Somehow, I don't think Jeff is going to put instadeath nodes into the game willy-nilly. tongue

At the risk of spoilers, you can make exactly this happen. Easily. Rawal wasn't playing around when he stuck Firx's cousin in your liver heart.

—Alorael, who would consider the control tool quite similar in plot significance to the curse mark in Nethergate. You can play with it or you can get rid of it. Unlike Nethergate, it doesn't make you worse at everything. Like Nethergate, it can restrict your options a fair amount.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
How much do you want to bet? Start a new game and attack Mehken. Shortest game possible.

Heh, nice.

Okay, then, I was wrong on that, but my first instincts about it were that it wasn't important. It wasn't until I was writing in this thread that I even remembered that the control tool was there. Whilst you're fighting the Presence, I don't think it's ever mentioned. And, since that's the last thing you do in the demo (short of walking down a little road to Astoria's domain), that sticks in the mind.

(P.S., feel free to prove me wrong again.)

After making my first Fyora, I decided that he was pretty cute and that I'd take him through the whole game. I even named him. When I think back at all the good times we had together, killing rogues, gaining levels, wondering what the heck was going on... good times. And then Rawal struts his sassy self along and absorbs the only friend I ever knew. ROOSTER!!!

EDIT: One more thing, the Sorceress (especially) and the all the Shaper inventory portraits look pretty awful, especially when compared to the guys from GF4. I'd prefer less 3d-rendered looking things in general, but the new ones are particularly hard for me to stomach. Anyone know if it would be difficult to replace them with homebrew graphics?

Finished the demo, and enjoyed it greatly. I thought Jeff designed the final fight very effectively - I was completely confused about...

Click to reveal..
The Geneforge? Where did that come from? Rawal, you're so screwed when I tell the Council... just wait till I find a good heart surgeon rolleyes
...and then when I made my decision everything cleared up, exactly the way my character was supposed to be feeling. I will definitely get the full version.

~Shaper Taliesin

I just finished the demo, I thought it was great!

I definitely want to buy the full version....just gotta save up some money.

Also, I kinda want to get the other 4 games first and play them in order. I know familiarity with the Geneforge series isn't required or anything, but it feels like I'm skipping to the end of a really good book.

I would recommend it since they're all fun, but take into account that each game is a good 30-40 hours long your first time through. You might get tired of Geneforge before you even make it through the second.

I still haven't bought the 4th, which I'll do maybe sometime this weekend.

My internet must have conked out before I finished my earlier edit. I also wanted to warn you that each subsequent game is an upgrade of its predecessor in terms of graphics, spells and effects, and user interface. The hardest thing to get used to might be the old pre-GF4 weight system, which took into account every item in your player's inventory, not just what he was wearing.

Yeah, I dealt with that in Avernum, I think I can handle it in Geneforge. tongue

It's just a pain in the ass, and you gotta upgrade your character's strength points every once in awhile.

I played the whole demo of Geneforge and liked it, haven't really played G2, G3 and G4.

I'll get the Trilogy CD first cause how can you beat 3 games for one low price! smile

In response to the thing about shortish demos I have to agree that we as players are exposed significantly less to the IMHO, overwhelming moral options we had in other Geneforge demos and the immediate mystery surrounding the game. Like say in GF1 and GF2 you know there's something sinister going on in the respective circumstances in the game but as soon as you start to taste a bit of the story the registration pops up and you're just left hooked onto the story.

But getting back on track for G5, so far technical problems have hindered my experience for the game and the Australian exchange rate has been dropping. But nonetheless, what I have enjoyed so far seems promising. Expect some money from me in the mail sometime in the future Spiderweb!