Who Should Win in Geneforge 5

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you mean "Who will win G4 to set the stage for G5?" and not "Who will win at the end of G5?", because if it's the latter, any faction could win if the player wants them to.

Dikiyoba actually thinks it will be the Trakovites. A Shaper ending ends the rebellion and a rebellion ending causes too much destruction, but the Trakovite ending is essentially a stalemate.

Its not the rebels because the trakovites does same thing but with both sides more evenly match. Its also much hard for a lone shaper/life crafter to make a difference with a bunch of insanely powerful monsters running a muck.I personally prefer the shapers but Its probably not the shaper's ending because that ending doesn't leave enough options (unless Jeff gets really creative). In my opinion I think the order of the from most likely end of GF4 to be incorporated into GF5 is:

1 Trakovite

2 Drakon

3 Shapers

Although I won't rule out completely Jeff tweaking the ending a bit.

Ok. I havn't played all of Gf3, but I have noticed a pattern. The side you start with almost always wins. The rebel ending of Gf4 says (if i remember) that the shapers started to remove the bindings on their creatures to combat the unbounds. What I personally think will happen is this: the rebels(drakons, not human/serviles) and the shapers will be in a stalemate. Some new group(or the Trakovites) will come in and use a little power to destroy both groups. The groups are so caught up with their war that infiltrators from a third party could come in and destroy them with a fair bit of ease. And then we have the exiled shapers. Who knows what they'll do,

Quote:
G1: Storyline says the Shapers won You start as a shaper.

G2: Storyline says the Shapers won. You start as a Shaper.

G3: Storyline says the Shapers won, you start as a Shaper.

G4: You are told that the rebels won, you start as a rebel.
You may be right about G1 and G2, but in G3, the rebels won. And as for G4, it could be rebels or trakovites.

And Goldenking, there is a possibility of a rebellion inside a Rebellion.

Iffy: It's inevitable really, unless the Drakons shape up considerably. But for the time being it's not going to happen, as it would be the death of the Rebellion. Perhaps after it's won, and even then it would be crushed. Hmmm, the Drakons could own the land and act as protectors, while the Serviles/Humans/Eyebeasts/Drayks payed tribute to them. That wouldn't be so bad, I suppose.

Which faction wins?

The answer is simple: The PLAYER WINS!

The Saga of Geneforge ends the only way it can and that is someone using the Geneforge and destroying all other factions but himself. The tale of conflict between shapers and rebels doesn't continue further, because neither survives past the ending of Geneforge 5. I don't see any other end to the Geneforge saga that was equally appropriate or proper or satisfying. The drakons, trakovites, unbound and others were nice sideplots, but this is the GENEFORGE-series, not "Unbound unlimited". The tale ending any other way, but at the edge of the Geneforge (the genuine shaper made one, not a drakon hack) with the player deciding the fate of the World would be a travesty and totally inappropriate for such an epic series.

Yes I like to see a powerful geneforge in G5 one that is even more powerful then the first one. One that the pc can use. Prehaps made by the shapers to counter the unbounds. Or made by a rouge group of shapers who use the war as opportunity to seize control. Mabey its an attempt for the human/servile rebellion to make them selfs equals with the drakons again. However it should be introduce.

Quote:
Originally written by Kalkin:
Which faction wins?

The Saga of Geneforge ends the only way it can and that is someone using the Geneforge and destroying all other factions but himself. The tale of conflict between shapers and rebels doesn't continue further, because neither survives past the ending of Geneforge 5. I don't see any other end to the Geneforge saga that was equally appropriate or proper or satisfying. The drakons, trakovites, unbound and others were nice sideplots, but this is the GENEFORGE-series, not "Unbound unlimited". The tale ending any other way, but at the edge of the Geneforge (the genuine shaper made one, not a drakon hack) with the player deciding the fate of the World would be a travesty and totally inappropriate for such an epic series.
While a good twist, that would defeat the whole build up of the entire five games. Such an act will likely be incorporated, with a Geneforge that the Shapers have constructed for their own use. Something like being given the power of the Unbound, and being able to Shape. Let the Shapers use it, they win, use it, Trakos win, or destroy it, Rebels win.

Quote:
Originally written by Gniknus:
And weren't the Sholai themselves weakened in G1, after the failed expedition?
The Sholai sent an envoy in GF3 to find out what happened to their expedition. The aren't a major military force or that was the image that they were trying to project by pretending to be a trade mission.

Let's see, a three ship trade fleet with many mages. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:
In G5 after unbounds finish their work there won't be anything left to win or fight for.The survivors will flee to ashen islands and form a new country free of shaper tyrany, free of rebell madness, free of trakovite nonsence with some kind of democracy.
Except the Unbound aren't invincible, the Rebels control the Greyghosts and Ashen, and a new nation out of the ashes of such a titanic struggle would be a monarchy/oligarchy more then anything else, as it would be survival first.

Quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:
What? Did UBB get you too? confused [/QB]
Believe it or not, Avernum is fairly one dimensional. There's the good guys, and the bay guys. Geneforge is multi-dimensional, with none of the sides being perfect, or holding the moral highground. This leads to (hopefully) thoughtful debate about what side ultimately is best. What's more, Geneforge mirrors many political issues of the day.

You couldn't get that in Avernum. A1: The Evil Empire throws you in a pit. A2: The Evil Empire invades your homeland. A3: The Evil Vahnatai get all genocidal. A4: The Evil Vahnatai get all genocidal. There is no debate in this at all.

Avernum 5 does give you two sides for a change. Support the old evil Empire (Darkside Loyalists) or the new more enlighten evil Empire (Empress Prazac). Either way you get to kick around worms in "self defense."

Avernum 6 - your a peasant conscipted into the war, now pick a side.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally written by Dragonlorddrakon:
tecnicly, the only way for the Geneforge series to really end is if there is only one ending, that the player gets from any sect. of counse, that would only to happen if jeff gets REALLY creative.
It could happen. We saw in GF2 that there's a reform faction within the Shapers, who want to end many of the abuses. And we saw in GF3 that the humans in the Rebellion take a much more moderate stance than the drakons. So it's possible that the player's job from either side would be to try to forge a compromise, fight extremists on both sides, and end the mahem.

Of course, knowing Jeff, there are bound to be other endings as well. Heck, remember how it was possible in GF1 to simply leave the island with everything unresolved? (Which, by the way, is what I thought happened in the official plot--not an Obeyer victory. But I haven't played GF2 recently, so I'm not sure--can someone confirm?) I bet there'll be a bunch of unpleasant endings where one side crushes the other with a "you'll always wonder whether you could have done better" hint, and a (relatively) happy compromise ending hidden somewhere.

I think that the shapers are going to win. All they have to is get to the Unbound shaping vats and destroy them and the Unbound production would cease. Then the shapers would win and democracy would rule. But i personally think the ending should have 3 endings. 1: you join shapers and destroy the rebels once and for all. 2: you join rebels and keep pushing the shapers back.3: you use many many canisters and become ruthless. you destroy shaper council and destroy all rebels and everyone who stands in your way. and you rule everyone with and iron fist.

Originally by ThirdParty:

Quote:
Of course, knowing Jeff, there are bound to be other endings as well. Heck, remember how it was possible in GF1 to simply leave the island with everything unresolved?
I'm pretty sure that was possible in G2 as well.

Quote:
(Which, by the way, is what I thought happened in the official plot--not an Obeyer victory. But I haven't played GF2 recently, so I'm not sure--can someone confirm?)
Hmm. Zakary's account is pretty vague but does seem to lean towards the escape ending being canon. There might be different accounts that say different things, though.

Dikiyoba.

I hate the shapers, killing drayks for no reason other than the fact that if they misused them they would bite back, bastards, when i see one i kill one, and hopefully in G5 they will have better council members than that pitiful Movawad, 202 health, me no think so! Shapers are evil, cruel and immoral, kinda like modern hippos.

The Rebels should win Geneforge 4 so that by Geneforge 5 everyone can see how horrible life under their rule would be. I could have sworn I posted in this topic before but maybe I'm thinking of an identical one.

Anyway, with a miserable Rebel victory in Geneforge 4, the stage would be set for the possible return of old factions as well as the introduction of new ones. Lots of choices, the way Geneforge was meant to be!

As for who should win in Geneforge 5... I've been saying for a while now how great a 'yourself' faction would be. You'd basically gather a bunch of research as well as components by defeating other factions and then build your very own geneforge. Then your ending would basically be you winning, with modifications based on whatever moral decisions you made in game. The perfect ending, in my opinion. The game is called Geneforge after all, yet the actual device's presence has been weak in the past few games.

Quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga the Slaughtering Omnimoose:
I hate the shapers, killing drayks for no reason other than the fact that if they misused them they would bite back, bastards, when i see one i kill one, and hopefully in G5 they will have better council members than that pitiful Movawad, 202 health, me no think so! Shapers are evil, cruel and immoral, kinda like modern hippos.
Milady doth protest too much. Besides, you think the Rebels would be better? Your naivete is amusing. [/conceitedness] wink

And don't even mention the Trakovites. They are guilty of the worst crime possible. . . the suppression of knowledge, science, advancement. . . Harmful knowledge or not, that is all that it takes for Nalyd to wish the most demonic torments upon them.

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally Posted By: Kalkin
Which faction wins?

Tip-Thy who speaks truth has a heavy burden.Alas,you speak truth.This is why I am who I am.

Well if you ask me i think it should be those darn rougues you have to kill every new Geneforge game.That would be cool if when the unbound kills all the shapers WHILE they are shaping, and w/e they are shaping turns rougue because the unbound kill them, then the rougues slip off and start to take command.

That would be pretty cool if you ask me. Although actually on topic now i would like to see w/e the 5th faction is win.After they kill all the evil shapers off.But Jeff again if you ever ead any of these.... listen to my ideas wink and make a geneforge 6 so i dont have to find another game wink or create a better gmae the "Geneforge". wink

There should be a split in the rebellion where the human/servile part breaks off to form a neo-awakened faction. they would form a moderate semi-democratic regime that would maintain a healthy balance of control and freedom. If such a faction doesn't exist the shapers should when because the rebellion as a whole is crazy due to the drakons. I disagree with many shaper views including the genocide of the drayks, but I believe tight controls on shaping should exist or you end up with shaper monarchs and unbound and al sorts of other crap the world would be better off without. the shapers are the best bet for bringing peace and security back to the world. I'm like Khyryk in G3 I don't like the shapers too much but the rebels are crazy. I haven't played through G4 yet but in G3 I detested the power crazed taker style rebellion and wholeheartedly supported the relatively moderate shapers. in G3 the shapers were nicer to the servile than they used to be and didn't punish the intelligent serviles as long as they were loyal. the rebels just killed random people and disrupted a system that was slowly reforming itself anyway.