The greatest compliment and the worst insult you've ever received

Frozen Feet

So, what are yours? Who did you receive them from and in what context? Mine are the following:

Compliment: "People like you don't exist!"

Said by: a random girl I spotted on the street

Context: January 2010, I bought three tickets to a big concert that was coming at Summer. One for myself, one for my brother, and one for whichever friend would want to accompany us. Mystically, out of toughly two dozen people and relatives we asked, no-one had time or interest. So, two hours before beginning of the concert, I was stuck with 100€ ticket that was seemingly going to go to waste.

So, I decided to just give it to next willing person. I spotted a somewhat forlorn-looking blond girl strolling down the street, and stopped her. I asked whether she was going to the concert - she answered she'd like to, but hadn't managed to buy a ticket...

She couldn't believe her eyes when I just handed her one. She started stuttering something about paying back, but I refused any compensation. This lead to the aforementioned phrase being said. She was overjoyed, and so was I - so much so that I forgot to even ask her name. I never saw her again, but her beaming face stuck in my memory.

Insult: "You know, you obviously have brain for it, so I always wonder why you didn't go to poly(technic) since you like to talk about these things so much."

Said by: a childhood friend who I've shared a hobby with for ~10 years.

Context: this will take a bit of explaining. First of all, the words don't look too bad, but the way she said it in a cold, annoyed voice really made my jaw drop. When she said it, we were having a good time, chatting about whatever came to mind around a campfire. Then the topic shifted to science, and I started talking about CERN and their recent neutrino experiment (and other weird physics stuff), which flew over the heads of... everyone else but us, I guess.

The stinger is, she's a second-year poly student. I, on the other hand, didn't even go to highschool, opting for vocational institute instead (running counter to everyone's expectation). Going by grades and education, she's the more knowledgeable and mathematically gifted of us two (and I hold she's smarter than me in all other ways too). I have complete faith that she understood exactly what I was talking about.

So she decided to shut me up by succintly informing me that no, not even she is interested in discussing such things on her leisure time, and that I should get off my lazy bum instead of wasting my intellect as a manual laborer, provided I have any left.

No wonder I've never asked her on a date. Way too many thorns on that rose.

My great-grandmother's highest praise was "okay." The most delicious food? Okay. The kindest, most generous gesture? Showed that someone's okay. But one day, at dinner, she called me a good boy. It was too long ago for me to remember what I'd done to merit such distinction, but I still remember it.

Be stingy with your praise, and everyone will value it more highly. That's a lesson she'd approve.

—Alorael, who doesn't dwell on old insults unless they're especially witty. Most of those are said in jest, though, and don't count. People are rarely clever in malice, and many of them end up quoted widely.

I had a high school history teacher convinced that I was incredibly intelligent, who told me as much near graduation with one of the most genuine compliments I've ever received. I don't know how true that is, but it was nice to hear.

I was called ugly a few times in middle school. It's a simple word and concept, but it hurts when you're already fragile. It hurts even worse coming from your friends, particularly when you weren't supposed to hear them talking about you. That one stuck with me for a while.

Yeah thats messed up hearing that and ive heard that a few times in highschool as well. But you get the last laugh when you get older and they all have some sort of disease and your like-Oh..guess i got my christmas present early. Thats usually always how it is. When my dad got hit by some bully, he told me he didnt hit em back. But when he got older, he chased him out of a store. Its just how it is, karma.

The highest compliments are usually unsolicited comparisons to people I respect. I am also a fan of prompts to run for some sort of town office.

The worst insult was not intended as such, and is denied as written by the teacher who said it. "I will be interested to see who you marry. She will have to see all of your flaws as endearing."

Compliment: probably "I don't think I've ever seen you without a book in your hand," from a college friend. There's another one of about the same rank, but it's not work-safe.

Insult: I'm not sure, offhand. There were some bad ones about my appearance back when I was in high school (I was definitely out of shape at the time, but most were just straight-up unnecessary). The ones I remember most, though, were probably in a couple paper reviews my freshman year of college: not because the professor was cruel (if anything, he was quite polite), but because they were so accurate. He had a real knack for eviscerating bad papers.

Compliment-"Your not as dumb as I thought you were." Several times by people when they hear my southern drawl and believe that I'm just some hick only to realize I know more than they do.

Insult- "Buck-toothed beaver." I have bucked teeth...enough said. So what if my teeth aren't perfect, this is the way God made me and if you have a problem with that then that is your problem not mine.

Post #647 cool

Quote:
Insult - The professor looked out at the extremely large graduate quantum mechanics class and said, "It's not too late to change majors. There are many fine opportunities for MBAs." He really wanted a much smaller class.

Oh, if we're going for insults to collectives, as opposed to just personal ones, I know my best/worst. From the professor teaching my Reading Pseudo-Dionysius class: "You know, this is essentially a class in western mysticism, but if I had called it that, the whole of the bong loft would've descended on my classroom."

The worst insults I've received are really not appropriate for these boards and the ones that would be fine are pretty generic, so I'm skipping that. The best compliment I ever received was 5 years ago, from my grandmother who lived in California. Since she lived so far away, I didn't know her all that well, and she didn't know that I was going through a serious Jacqueline du Pré kick. I had written and recorded a cello piece for my sister's birthday, and my mum sent it along to my grandmother, who said that my playing sounded like du Pré. I tried to brush it off when I heard about it, but my mum said that she was extremely knowledgeable about classical music and not one to give undeserved compliments.

The greatest compliment I've ever received?

My Advanced AI teacher considered my work in that class, one he described as "post graduate level" deserving of offering me an independent study. Sadly, I had to turn him down as I was graduating sooner than such a program would reach completion, but I'll never forget it.

I can't remember anything pertaining to compliments. I try to avoid those as much as possible, and my poor memory takes care of any I do receive.

Similarly, I can't remember the specifics of the worst insult I've ever gotten, but I can be sure of the source and the content. It would have had to have come from my parents regarding me being "heartless" "inconsiderate" or "disrespectful".

Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet

Insult: "You know, you obviously have brain for it, so I always wonder why you didn't go to poly(technic) since you like to talk about these things so much."
Context: this will take a bit of explaining. First of all, the words don't look too bad, but the way she said it in a cold, annoyed voice really made my jaw drop. When she said it, we were having a good time, chatting about whatever came to mind around a campfire. Then the topic shifted to science, and I started talking about CERN and their recent neutrino experiment (and other weird physics stuff), which flew over the heads of... everyone else but us, I guess.

Take her to CERN, nice skiing in the winter and good cycling in the summer. Then she'll let you spelunk about neutrinos faster than the speed of light to your heart's content.

Originally Posted By: grasshopper
Originally Posted By: Frozen Feet

Take her to CERN, nice skiing in the winter and good cycling in the summer. Then she'll let you spelunk about neutrinos faster than the speed of light to your heart's content.

I have firsthand accounts that the more available areas of CERN are rather unpleasant. Just about all of the funding goes into the big fancy stuff that you can't see unless you work there. When my uncle was there for a conference, they all had to huddle around the outlet to charge their laptops whenever the room had power.

i am surprised so many actually remember their greatest compliments / insults. mine seem to blur...

These are the latest ones I recall.

Insult, not exact words, but mean pretty much this:

"You are harsh and stone-hearted, but at least I could count you to listen, well not anymore."

Context: My semi-romantic friend was whining about how she found her boyfriend was cheating and after their breakup, when I said, that I really don't care about him and you should have expected betrayal, and I am just your doormat who is tired of this (in a much more explicit way). She avoided me for almost a semester, then thanked me for my outburst. Her personality hasn't changed significantly from earlier, though now she is not as trusting and naive.

Praise, not exact words, but you get the drift.

"Unbelievable!! how the hell did you manage to pull it off??"

Context: When my report for a particular laboratory course was praised by my professor who was genuinely shocked to receive that quality of work from me. This was done completely by me, having one of the lowest CGPA and generally an average-poor academic record.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: grasshopper

Take her to CERN, nice skiing in the winter and good cycling in the summer...

I have firsthand accounts that the more available areas of CERN are rather unpleasant. Just about all of the funding goes into the big fancy stuff that you can't see unless you work there. When my uncle was there for a conference, they all had to huddle around the outlet to charge their laptops whenever the room had power.

Did he only go there the once, or was this a recurrent experience? That's an interesting nugget of information for the dinner table if it's the norm these days. Not completely implausible though, planning reports for the LHC were always a bit panicky.

Doesn't change my point one jot though. Goodish skiing and nice cycling in the area around. Pays de Gex and Geneva are really really beautiful places to be. Any nice girl with a level of interest in you will be yours if you take her there to wine and dine for a couple of weeks

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Originally Posted By: Iucounu the Laughing Magician
I do not care to listen; obloquy injures my self-esteem, and I am skeptical of praise.

Maybe I've lived up to this quote more than I thought, because I can't remember much in the way of either compliment or insult.

Nor can I. I don't seem to remember the little things that everyone else dwells on, or at the least is able to recall fairly easily.