A Long-expected Post

Alorael at Large

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Hostile Climate
—Alorael, whose average daily posting rate is substantial but by no means outrageous.

It's actually quite impressive to have averaged 2000 posts a year without spam, given the comparatively low number of threads that are active at any one time.

For those short periods where someone posts substantially faster, it's either for short-term factors, e.g. answering newbie questions on a new game (like Randomizer) or role-play admining, or due to a high proportion of spam (like Iffy ~4 years ago and Trenton today).

So kudos to Alo for simultaneously attaining the upper bound of postage and the lower bound of spamage.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon

—Alorael, whose average daily posting rate is substantial but by no means outrageous. He just has a slightly higher average than most other oldbies and far more years than most highly active posters.

So... they're catching up. Perhaps Aran would be willing to use his analytical resources to judge when, at current posting rates, you would be surpassed, and by whom?

From sw-daily, my script that pulls post info from the SW post RSS feed. It's been logging data for 58 days now, with a few outages throughout (stupid internet). The only problem is, it only records the PDN given in that post, no user IDs (i know). So, for this I tried to guess who was who in regards of PDN changes. Oh well.

Click to reveal..

Code:
Name             Posts    Posts/DayLilith             234    4.034Trenton            226    3.897Randomizer         211    3.638HOUSE of S         134    2.31      Earth Empires      131    2.259Pyrrhus            104    1.793    Actaeon             99    1.707    Sylae               93    1.603   Harehunter          92    1.586  Alorael             91    1.569    Tyranicus           89    1.534    Death Knight        88    1.517    Dintiradan          85    1.466    The Turtle Moves    83    1.431    Nioca               69    1.19    Dantius             67    1.155    Micawber            65    1.121    FnordCola           63    1.086    Dikiyoba            54    0.931    The Mystic          52    0.897    

While there have been concerns that the publick broadcast of this script's data would cause spamfests, I believe that this is a large enough period of time to cause any chaos and anarchy.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
While there have been concerns that the publick broadcast of this script's data would cause spamfests, I believe that this is a large enough period of time to cause any chaos and anarchy.

In theory, such data could have the opposite impact. "99 posts?", an unnamed member might say, "And I haven't really said anything. I should dial it down a notch."

Originally Posted By: Sylae

In theory, such data could have the opposite impact. "99 posts?", an unnamed member might say, "And I haven't really said anything. I should dial it down a notch."

but we like you! post more!

I mean, you average out at less than two posts per day over that time period, assuming I didn't read a number wrong. Considering the fact that there are twelve sections of the boards in which there have been (on average) a couple of active threads per day, that doesn't work out very spammy at all.

I probably have the record for most posts in a short timeframe with the scenario reviews I transcribed earlier this year. Ironically, this brought my total post count on this account to about what it would be if I hadn't gone through a period of rotating through 3 accounts a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: the brute / Brute heart of a
Man, I'm not even on the list! I need to improve my game (again) dramatically.

I think Tyran's reaction disproves that sufficiently. Furthermore, I would guess that most members would feel that their posts weren't vacuous, and were instead useful to the thread. I would guess that would hold even if it weren't true.

That said, being on the list is only something desirable if you want to be someone who has poured a lot of time into these fora. Some will want that, some won't.

I have 100 posts over the last two weeks. You're missing more than a few of my PDNs. But I take it now you're also logging PDN changes?

—Alorael, who keeps track of them himself. He also knows he's missing a few. Some he forgot to log, and others were lost to file destruction before he switched to a Google doc.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I did an analysis of this a couple of months ago here.

TL;DR, Alorael averages around 5.5 posts per day over his membership, Randomizer 5, Lilith 4.5, myself 4, and most of the other top posters from 2-3.

Your averages were "since account creation" and not "over his membership," which means your daily post averages are only accurate for users who have been around constantly since their account creations.

That's a reasonable way to average as long as the breaks are consistent. Someone who intermittently goes silent for months at a stretch does have a lower post count.

That really breaks down for people who created an account but didn't really become active until much later. But how else would you measure activity for them?

—Alorael, who wouldn't know how to best threshold absence. Is being absent for a day enough to discard the day? How about a week? A month? What about going from posting eight times a day to only once a day for a month?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I did an analysis of this a couple of months ago here.

TL;DR, Alorael averages around 5.5 posts per day over his membership, Randomizer 5, Lilith 4.5, myself 4, and most of the other top posters from 2-3.

Your averages were "since account creation" and not "over his membership," which means your daily post averages are only accurate for users who have been around constantly since their account creations.

You brought this up in the thread when I first posted those numbers.

I just think somebody's disappointed that my posting rate was 50% larger... tongue

I used to post as much as twenty times a day. There were so many good topics on the games! I could ussualy help where to find stuff or ask where to find stuff, or post problems about the games. Lets not forget that I was the one when the month counter came up that I came to the very top and stayed there till it wen't away.

So if anyone shall reach alorael, it shall be me! Count on it!

Sure it may take 30-40 years from where I am at, but that won't stop me tongue

That really breaks down for people who created an account but didn't really become active until much later. But how else would you measure activity for them?

—Alorael, who wouldn't know how to best threshold absence. Is being absent for a day enough to discard the day? How about a week? A month? What about going from posting eight times a day to only once a day for a month?

Hey, I resemble that remark.
The years previous to this were a struggle to just get through. And now that I am more adept, I find more than ample need for it at work. I've only clocked a measly 70 hours at work this week alone. On the other hand, I've not had this much fun since I became the DBA 12 years ago. I'm back into development, where I can solve new problems, support real users, not just baby-sit colicky databases.

You brought this up in the thread when I first posted those numbers.

Yes, and I'm bringing it up again to make sure the data is presented in an accurate way. Acknowledging that your data-interface is not perfect does not mean your data or your work is bad; as Alorael said, there isn't really a great solution.

However, given that the formula is inadequate for 3, and affects another 3 out of the 10 users on the top posters list (Drakey, TM, myself, and to a lesser degree Aran, Kel, and Ephesos) it is misleading not to mention this wrinkle in the data. "Most of the other top posters [have daily averages] from 2-3" without explanation is certainly misleading.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Still less than Alorael's rate. There are plenty of people here who have surpassed his rate for even a few months at a time, but he has unparalled consistency.

Such as me, but then interest died out/relative maturity happened.

Maybe someday Alorael will also develop relative maturity. We can all hope not, though.

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
Originally Posted By: Iffy
Still less than Alorael's rate. There are plenty of people here who have surpassed his rate for even a few months at a time, but he has unparalled consistency.

Such as me, but then interest died out/relative maturity happened.

Maybe someday Alorael will also develop relative maturity. We can all hope not, though.

Randomizer and Lilith post at similar rates, but recently Lilith has been very slightly faster. I've been in the top spot since early 2002, I think; Lilith's been second in the spam ranks for years. It's not going to change, but you'll have years to wait until she hits 20k.

—Alorael, who doesn't think catching up is in the cards. If Lilith left today, you'd take about seven years to catch up to where she is now. He puts the odds of that happening at very low.

Before the UBB turnover, we were able to rate each other on either a four or five star (or smiley... my memory for such things is not the best) system. Post count was still the dominant factor in social status, but your stars were taken into account, too. And time in the community, I suppose. I imagine that's diminished as the relative stay of most oldbies grows closer.

Every mention of karma required everyone to rate the mentioner 1 star. It was not an ideal system.

—Alorael, who supposes the first rule of good karma was never to talk about good karma. Fortunately, now everyone can just rate all threads about thread ratings 1 star.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
Every mention of karma required everyone to rate the mentioner 1 star. It was not an ideal system.

It may not have been ideal, but it worked well enough. Most members eventually ended up with three or four stars while trolls, spammers, and other nuisances wound up with one or two stars. And people who never posted got five stars.

(Dikiyoba hates to do this to your beautiful thread, Alorael, but tradition demands its due.)

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Some boards have an 'ignore' feature that blocks out all posts from people you designate. You can see where they posted in a thread, but it doesn't show their posts unless you take them off 'ignore'.

Including our board (but only for ordinary members; we mods must suffer). Although if Dikiyoba remembers correctly, there is an option to see individual posts from people on one's ignore list without needing to take them off.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
There is the "Ignore this user" feature on the board that can be found inside everyone's profile that you can click. There also is also a niffty stalker feature called "View Posts" so I know know where you post, how often, and at what time of day. cool

I'm adding you to my watched users, Rowen.

If you know what I mean. wink

Quote:
Alorael, who would prefer an opt-in list. He doesn't want to listen to most people most of the time, really.

This would make it difficult for you to discover new people worth listening to. You could still learn about them through excerpts of their posts quotes by people to whom you have already chosen to listen, as long as your list is still connected to most of the user graph[^1] (some members of your list listen to people who are not members of your list).

Or you could just conclude that you already listen to enough people (or to all of the interesting people you expect to be present) and ignore the problem.

[^1]: A forum whose population disintegrated into multiple subsets of members who no longer acknowledged each others' existences would be rather odd. Also a waste of time, since it would then be more efficient for each group to have its own forum.

I don't really need new people. And if I did, I'd just ask for recommendations by the people I did feel like listening to. It'd be an exclusive circle right out in the open!

NO, you seem to believe that I respond to actual content. That's just silly.

—Alorael, who will give the obligatory disclaimer. No, he does not really want to ignore everyone. Yes, everyone is still welcome on his lawn. No, he does not intend to thwack with a cane.