A Lot of Really Angry Elves Left Lilith

A less presumptuous name.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
not sarcasm. but i remember playing a game as a kid, on the original game boy no less, that had a similar screen involving four different attacks on monsters.
it was something about rescuing a land with your base being a castle.
there were magic hearts, scrolls and others that i don't quite remember

Final Fantasy Legend is the best fit I think, although the "base" was a tower rather than a castle, and it wasn't a "base" so much as the central place you had to keep returning to. Sword of Hope is close but didn't have magic hearts. Zelda: Link's Awakening and Ultima: Runes of Virtue both had magic hearts, but not combat menus.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I was Slartyphobia once. Also, I didn't realize DOMICILE of A was a parody of HOUSE of S. HOUSE of S is a reference itself, so I'm afraid that DOMICILE of A sort of misses the point.

Well, there's no way anyone here could have guessed that, since we didn't have an itemized list of reference possibilities, hint hint wink wink.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
I was Slartyphobia once. Also, I didn't realize DOMICILE of A was a parody of HOUSE of S. HOUSE of S is a reference itself, so I'm afraid that DOMICILE of A sort of misses the point.

References to references to inside jokes about inside jokes are what Spiderweb is built from.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytar
References to references to inside jokes about inside jokes are what Spiderweb is built from.

That's not the right reference. (The right one is in here somewhere, if you care.) Of course, given that the discussion is kind of about missing the point, maybe that was intentional.

Dikiyoba.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I seem unable to get what all the fuss is about. I have enjoyed my interaction with her. Even though, and especially because of, her perspective and mine are polar opposites, there is something about her that fascinates me. Perhaps it is her childlike (please, not childish) naivete that sees the world the way it could be. Her idealistic views are, well, idealistic. But I see no fault in dreaming that the world could be a better place. I used to have the same dreams myself in my youth.

Please, Lilith, I do not mean to sound condescending. I am sincere in that I consider you a good friend.

Harehunter: the world is an ugly place, and does its best to burn away people's empathy. Never let yourself succumb to that. Never let yourself for one moment believe that it's naive to do the right thing. That's not wisdom, that's jadedness.

(But I'm 23, and I waffle between anger at the world and anger at myself. You can ignore me if you want.)

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Huh. Perceptions of people can be very different on the internet, I guess. Naive is about the last thing I would have called Lilith.

Same goes for idealistic... In fact, I have a hard time imagining anybody here as idealistic, but maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I seem unable to get what all the fuss is about. I have enjoyed my interaction with her. Even though, and especially because of, her perspective and mine are polar opposites, there is something about her that fascinates me. Perhaps it is her childlike (please, not childish) naivete that sees the world the way it could be. Her idealistic views are, well, idealistic. But I see no fault in dreaming that the world could be a better place. I used to have the same dreams myself in my youth.

Please, Lilith, I do not mean to sound condescending. I am sincere in that I consider you a good friend.

if you feel the need to end a post with "i do not mean to sound condescending" you probably shouldn't post it unless you actually do mean to sound condescending

Lilith, I am sincerely sorry that I have offended you. I apologize to all the other spiderwebbers who may feel that have slighted you. That was not my intention. I truly like you and sincerely would like to keep you as a friend.

I know that we do not see many things from the same perspective, but that is what I like most about you. You challenge me to re-think my own attitudes. I admit that little has changed in them, but it is good to re-evaluate one's beliefs from time to time. I believe in my heart that you feel yours is the better perspective. When I was younger, I too envisioned a one-world society, much as like that in my favorite SciFi series. But then events in places such as the Congo, the Berlin Olympics, the taking of hostages during the Iranian revolution.

We of the western world are more tolerant of diversity, but there are those people for whom tolerance of other cultures is anathema. Just today, yet another of those people attempted to blow up the Federal Reserve bank in New York.

Is there good and evil on this earth? I have come to the sad conclusion that they do. I used to believe that someday we could eliminate the evil just by being good, by setting an example that others would aspire to. Now I see that there are those in the world who will never be turned from their hatred and desire to commit mass murder. I wish it were otherwise.

That is why your beliefs are so refreshing to me. I called them naive. I did not mean that as an insult.

Please accept my apology and my sincere wish for your friendship.

The Harehunter.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I know that we do not see many things from the same perspective, but that is what I like most about you. You challenge me to re-think my own attitudes. I admit that little has changed in them, but it is good to re-evaluate one's beliefs from time to time. I believe in my heart that you feel yours is the better perspective. When I was younger, I too envisioned a one-world society, much as like that in my favorite SciFi series. But then events in places such as the Congo, the Berlin Olympics, the taking of hostages during the Iranian revolution.

oh my god even when you try to apologise you're patronising about it

i'm going to close this thread because i don't feel like being insulted any more today