Arolael vs. Dekubaba

Rionep Ecnirp Etlevs

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. I'm stepping on everyone's toes. I admit a one-word post doesn't add much, but Samus Arancaytrus beat me to the point about typical angels' names.

P.S. Misrememorizing someone's moniker isn't considered trolling, is it? If so, I swear I'm innocent! But if I did it, here's how I would...

Originally Posted By: Doppelnacht
—Alorael, who never quite knows how fantasy authors intend for their odd vowel combinations to be pronounced. Two vowels? Dipthong? Ignore the A? Ignore the E? G'khlauy'fnar!
I dunno about fantasy authors, but typically the AE in English ignores the A. There are exceptions though.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
If you are not pleased, why did you change the name of the thread to Arolael vs. Dekubaba?
You are misattributing the change.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
I dunno about fantasy authors, but typically the AE in English ignores the A. There are exceptions though.

Care to give an example? You could say Michael, but the sound isn't really an A or E sound. I can't even think of a word off the top of my head that has AE and isn't a name. Probably because I just woke up, though.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Eel
Yikes. I'm stepping on everyone's toes. I admit a one-word post doesn't add much, but Samus Arancaytrus beat me to the point about typical angels' names.

Don't worry; Nikki's post wasn't really directed at you.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: Dantius
If you are not pleased, why did you change the name of the thread to Arolael vs. Dekubaba?
You are misattributing the change.

Dikiyoba did change the subject of one of Dikiyoba's posts to that, however. Anyone who took that post seriously needs to go back and read it again.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I'm well aware of Nalyd's gimmick, as well as most of those by people in the Geneforge 5 and General threads (including Artie).

And what about those of us without gimmicks? How will we be remembered?

Edit: Is editing almost every post a gimmick? I hope not.

Æ is the "ash" vowel in Old English. It makes a sound much like the A in "cat," but it isn't ae, it's æ.

Michael has the ae as a schwa. Raphael has two distinct vowels. Fantasy sometimes seems to use it as a long A, but I'm not sure if that has any basis in actual spoken English.

—Alorael, who prefers the British spelling because he is, in fact, a bloody wanker.

Ah, English English.
No, British English. tongue

When I see them, I tend to say the A just because it's amusing to see how it sounds.
Yeah, well, it's not the correct pronunciation. (Though, I think I've tried that too at times, especially when I see the AE spelling before the E spelling.)

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Wiki link

It isn't quite that simple, CM -- AE was a vowel in its own right in Old English.
It wasn't considered a letter of its own though, from what I can tell from that article. Regardless, the article isn't particularly relevant to the discussion, since I'm talking about how it is usually pronounced in modern English.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
I think the "long A" pronounciation of "AE" comes from church Latin, and other more modern Europeanizations of Latin pronounciation.
The "long A" isn't the canonical classical Latin pronunciation, but I don't know as much about the medieval Latin, so you're likely right. But the long A is not (usually) the correct pronunciation of AE in modern English.

No, that's not British and American. That's British English and American English. And actually, neither of those are a dialect. Both British English and American English are actually a collection of dialects.

Canadian English, on the other hand, is a single dialect (or two at most). I suspect Australian English and New Zealand English are as well, though I'm not sure.

For some administrative purposes in Britain, at least, English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish are all nationalities. Quite how a person defines their nationality seems to be entirely subjective: my passport says that my nationality is British Citizen, however when asked my nationality at a government office, I was told that "British" was not valid (nor was "British Citizen"), and I had to choose one of the above.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Oh flower of Scotland!
When will we see your like again?
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent them homeward
To think again.

That always struck me as an odd choice for the Scottish national anthem, rather than something like Scotland the Brave, for instance.

It's not an official anthem, just played at football and rugby games. For Scottish medalists at the Commonwealth games, where the various parts of the UK compete separately, they play "Scotland the Brave". "Flower of Scotland" is a little more anti-English, I guess.

They're both nice tunes, but Flower is definitely easier for a beer-drinking crowd to belt out.

Originally Posted By: Skomer
For some administrative purposes in Britain, at least, English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish are all nationalities. Quite how a person defines their nationality seems to be entirely subjective: my passport says that my nationality is British Citizen, however when asked my nationality at a government office, I was told that "British" was not valid (nor was "British Citizen"), and I had to choose one of the above.

I guess this is because the rest of the world doesn't care if we're from England or Wales, or those other places. tongue

I consider myself "English" before "British", but that's because I haven't had the history or cultures of the other nations engrained into me. My grandfather, on the other hand, used to call himself "British", as his mother was Welsh and he spent a lot of time there as a child before moving to England.

Originally Posted By: Skomer

One way to find this out is to ask a British person if he's English.

If he gets angry, he's a Scot. tongue