Arolael vs. Dekubaba

Rionep Ecnirp Etlevs

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alorael has been here for many more years. Both have done so very soon or immediately on their joining. (Though I couldn't say how soon for Alorael, just that there is no public record of him not using that signature.)

Edit: Argh, I cannot leave archival questions alone. I checked and confirmed that Dikiyoba has been signing posts with Dikiyoba's name from day 1, though the first third-person sentence appears in Dikiyoba's fifth post.

I started my signature on boards that no longer exist. I used it somewhat irregularly there, but I had pretty much settled in when I joined Spiderweb. By the time I rejoined the UBB, I was using it for every post from day one.

—Alorael, who also doesn't think Dikiyoba's posts have third person observations. They just end with the third person name rather than a first person pronoun.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Dikiyoba used "I" in a post!!!!

Dikiyoba's gimmick allows Dikiyoba to use "I" in a post as long as third person is used elsewhere in the post.

Randomizer has seen Dikiyoba comment on this the last time Dikiyoba used an "I" about two years ago.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
When I saw the title of this thread I thought that the Deathmatch was actually revived, but I guess not.
We could always bring it back. They're fun to read.

Originally Posted By: All the way to the bank
Why not make the entire thread a third-person discussion?
All I can say is that, until this post, the Mystic has never referred to himself in third person on these boards. tongue

Originally Posted By: Duck
When I read the title I thought this would be a spam topic... people do not disappoint. tongue

What about another demographic survey? We need another one of those. Spam = ENDLESS.

Member 1:I'm from Canada

Member 2:Oh, really? Tell us about Canada.

(flamewar about canada)

Member 3:Actually, I'm from Britan

(repeat)

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
I own an entire novel written in the second person. Well, sort of. The protagonist is supposed to be 'you', so everything else is third person. I have to admit I'm a bit embarrassed about some of the things I did in that book.

Is it Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas?

Atlas Shrugged is a bad novel that has sold well because it's a comic book without pictures. It has maybe one credible character, Reardon; the others are all laughable cardboard cut-outs. The answer to 'Who is John Galt?' turns out to be, No-one in particular.

The saddest thing about AS is that its main characters are all supposed to be titanic geniuses of technology and commerce. A good novel featuring Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the boys from Google and Yahoo would be amazing. But if Rand did it, Steve Jobs would be a very boring guy. And Bill Gates would have invented computers singlehanded, and they would work by magic.

The big problem with this famous novel of technical innovation is that it hasn't the faintest idea what technical innovation is. The title (supplied by Rand's husband) is actually an ironically accurate metaphor. Atlas Shrugged is like a book about Earth's atmosphere, written by someone who really believes that a big guy on a hilltop is holding up the sky.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Have you read Atlas Shrugged? I use it as a doorstop.

It sat reverently on my dresser with my other favorite books until I had to return it to the library.

Say, libraries are kind of communist, aren't they? Not sure Ayn Rand would approve of that.

tongue

Originally Posted By: slippery eel
Hur hur. No, Alorael's name has only been misspelled once in this topic, but I don't know how to fix the title. Maybe it catches one's eye this way.

The A is before the E now, and they are adjacent. I am not mightily pleased, but I am content.

—Alorael, who really must be mellowing out in his old age. Or he's just burnt out on trying to fix the people who are wrong on the internet.