Rionep Ecnirp Etlevs

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: I need no introduction
Originally Posted By: Vertiginous Horizons
Originally Posted By: Master1
I guess that's what I get for being American.

You mean Amurickin!

—Alorael, who likes to think that his voice is tastefully accented.

frown
please don't confuse southern states with the rest of the country.

And just what the hell is wrong with Southern states?

Amurickin isn't really how the word comes out with a Southern accent. I'm not sure what it is, but I've heard plenty of it. And really, changing pronunciation is an American tradition.

—Alorael, who can think of several things wrong with the South. The heat, for one.

Dikyobia sounds like a country. Dikiyobia is where Dikiyoba is from (Apperently). So mabey Dikyobia is where Dikyoba is from when our Dikiyora changes from Dikiyoba to Dikyoba. Not sure where Dikiyoca lives. Saying all the variants of Dikiyoba means you have to pay attention to understand. smile

Dikiyoba sounds best to me.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I never realized there were different dashes. I just called them hyphens and dashes. Then I saw a third, and said hyphens, dashes, and big dashes...
As far as I know, you're always supposed to use an M dash (—) when a dash is needed. It makes you wonder why the N dash even exists...

Originally Posted By: llloyd
his/hers/its would work better? it's pretty self conscious of me to go so far as using dashes anyway, but i think i'll just use it for everything since i cannot be wrong.
What's this about dashes?

Originally Posted By: Dubya
Don't worry about it, we're just giving you crap. There's a perfectly nice man/woman/machine waiting for you out there, somewhere.

Well, maybe not waiting. Go get him/her/it, tiger/tigress/ambiguously androgynous feline.

-S-

ADDIT: Cute bunny, Nikki.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

ndash: -
No, that's a hyphen. This is an N dash: –
And an M dash, for comparison: —
(...apparently, they don't match the width of their respective letters in all fonts.)

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
As far as I know, you're always supposed to use an M dash (—) when a dash is needed. It makes you wonder why the N dash even exists...

Wikipedia sez the en dash is used to denote ranges, such as 1977–1981.
I've always used a hyphen for that...

Originally Posted By: Dantius
For all appearances and purposes, though, the endash and hyphen are the same, though. Or am I horribly wrong?
It depends on the font, actually. I'm pretty sure there are fonts in which they look different. (In fact, there might be fonts where the N dash is shorter than the hyphen, come to think of it...)

On my browser, which I think is using Lucida Grande, the dashes appear to be thinner than the hyphen.