Exile II:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/otdgqq

Hope you'll have a lot of fun. Enjoy.

23* 23*

Citizen

• Member ID: 5,731
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:03 PM #2 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Thanks. I actually preferred these versions even though they have less realistic graphics, but after I deleted them years ago I couldn't find them anymore.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:31 AM #3 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Sweet.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

ef ef

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 1,683
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:35 AM #4 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Thanks for this.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:29 AM #5 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Tyran, is the any chance you can up these to Shadowvale? It'd be nice if they were available semi-permanently.

Balladeer Balladeer

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,131
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationBeyond Belief

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:13 AM #6 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Pshaw, Tryan doesn't do BoE. These are going on TrueSite.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:20 PM #7 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

This isn't BoE, and he does the music archive, so there's no reason to assume he wouldn't that I can see.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Balladeer Balladeer

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,131
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationBeyond Belief

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:06 AM #8 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Not to say that he can't or wouldn't. I was trying to whine at Nikki for eliciting Tyran and not me.  Since Exile is closer related to BoExile then BoAvernum I was sad Nikki went automatically to Tyran in light of what our sites's main focuses are.  I mean, I know why Nikki went to Tyran. He's much more likable and a hottie to boot. wink I'm just pouting that Nikki's pointing it out again.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:34 PM #9 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

But Tyran's site is nethergate.net...
This is all so confusing! confused
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:40 AM #10 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Sorry, Jewels. It was just that Tyran had already posted in the thread, and I'd assume he'd read it again after my post, and be more likely to respond, whilst you hadn't posted (and therefore, I couldn't be sure you had seen the thread). It was nothing to do with what either of your sites are for. smile

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:11 AM #11 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Sorry Jewels, at least I still like you. :p
I think I will put these up on my site, but there is nothing stop you from doing the same smile
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Eclipse Eclipse

Watcher

• Member ID: 3,901
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:30 PM #12 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Wow, that was very, very weird. I loaded up Exile 1 with the saved game from the other newer version and was on the other side of the shareware chasm...

Also, can't open dl link for E2

Vent Vent

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 2,776
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:00 PM #13 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I rediscovered the old cd with exile that I don't think I ever played them. Is it really worth to play them? Aren't Avernum exact almost remake of them? I remember have played both Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum and the second had stuff quite similar plus bonus.

I prefer some choice of Exile like using a single icon when not in fight (if I remember well) but for me the Avernum version of Blades was an improvement and it's not about graphics.

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:03 PM #14 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The plots of Exile and Avernum are exactly the same. The engines are quite different. If you prefer the Avernum engine there's no reason to go back and play the Exile games except for BoE, which of course has its own unique scenarios.

—Alorael, who still thinks BoE beats BoA hands down aggregate scenario quality. There are more BoE scenarios and many of them are fantastic. And BoE is free, too!

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:03 PM #15 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

If you think Avernum is better, play Avernum. They're the same games with a different engine, more or less.

edit: Two seconds? Come on.

Vent Vent

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 2,776
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:25 PM #16 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I could prefer the Exile engine but wouldn't like to miss some nice details added in the remake version.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:31 PM #17 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

A few of the dungeons are changed around somewhat (like Avernum 1 having a bonus dungeon compared to Exile 1), so if that sort of thing is important to you I suppose it's another reason to play Avernum.

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:30 PM #18 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The major changes were the addition of the town and dungeon in A1, which are significant to world history but otherwise never again referenced outside of BoA, and the removal of conveyor belts and addition of laser beams from E3 to A3. Both of them lead to obnoxious puzzle dungeons, but at least the lasers have fewer glitches that get you stuck inside walls.

—Alorael, who can't think of any other big dungeon overhauls. Well, okay, moving walls were also replaced by laser beams. He's not even entirely sure why.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:52 PM #19 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Were there any more details added to the dungeons in A1? In E1 I notice that most dungeons have only two or three interesting encounters, including the multi-level ones. Often not even that many for the single level dungeons.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:07 PM #20 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

A3 had some extra quests and you get to meet the first Avernite team that was sent out ahead of you.  

Exile 1 and 2 suffer from lack of inventory slots.  With 2 extra characters you do have a bit more room to carry things.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Feo Takahari Feo Takahari

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 5,301
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:09 PM #21 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Was Exile more open than Avernum? Looking at a list of some of the things you could do in-game, I saw some stuff that didn't look like it was kept for the remake (for instance, "wreak a horrid revenge on the surface world.")
"You say there's no such thing as love,/ there's nothing but the carrot and the stick,/ but I say flowers bloom/ because they don't believe in death./ You tell me you never want/ to be a slave to anyone at all./ I say that means the slave will be/ whoever you have by your side."-translated lyrics from a song by Nautilus Pompilius
http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html, so everyone ELSE can have nightmares too.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:44 PM #22 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Exile 1 had an easier version of the same assassination of Emperor Hawthorne.  

Exile 2 allowed you to fight the Empire guards over and over again at the checkpoints that they set up.

I haven't finished Avernum 3 so I can't compare it all,

I don't really remember a horrid revenge on the surface world except for killing Hawthorne.

Exile games repopulated dungeons so you could keep killing the same people over and over again, except named characters would be replaced with generic versions of themselves after you killed them.  Hmmm, I never went back to see what happens to Grah-Hoth if you go back to his fortress after killing him in Exile 1.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:22 AM #23 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: Leather Strop
—Alorael, who can't think of any other big dungeon overhauls.
E2's Test of Mind became the Test of Patience in A2.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

The Mystic The Mystic

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,707
  • 3,242 posts
  • Locationon the run from the pun police

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:55 PM #24 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Originally Posted By: High Guise
—Alorael, who can't think of any other big dungeon overhauls. Well, okay, moving walls were also replaced by laser beams. He's not even entirely sure why.
Maybe the conveyors were harder to code for A3, or Jeff couldn't find decent graphics for them.
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts.  And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

Alcohol and calculus don't mix.  Friends don't let friends drink and derive.

Like all internet petitions, it will do nothing. - Dantius

Emz Emz

Mercenary

• Member ID: 6,187
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:27 AM #25 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

I think they should definitely be uploaded somewhere less dodgey, although still a great find. I prefer the latest versions though, more refined and bug-free.
If you need a Beta Tester for a BoE scenario, email me!

feline monstrosity feline monstrosity

Citizen

• Member ID: 5,035
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:10 AM #26 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

What's the difference between these versions of Exile I & II and the versions on the spiderwebsoftware.com website?

Emz Emz

Mercenary

• Member ID: 6,187
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:32 AM #27 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Their full of bugs?
If you need a Beta Tester for a BoE scenario, email me!

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:40 AM #28 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Spiderweb upgraded the graphics of their older games to the E3 graphics, which are a bit more polished. At some point the AP system was also added into E1, which originally gave you one action per character per turn.

—Alorael, who is sure there are a few other little differences. Those are the immediately obvious ones.

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:16 PM #29 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Exile 1 originally had only one action per turn?

Whoa. And I thought it was hard already...
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:21 PM #30 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

The 4 AP system was added into Exile 1 pretty shortly after its original release, and long before Exile 2.

Play Exile 1 with 1 AP, and you begin to realize just how much it owes to Ultima III...
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:08 PM #31 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

1 AP doesn't make it harder, precisely. Your enemies are also only getting their one action point. It makes haste and slow immensely effective, though, because they're doubling and halving your actions (by giving you extra turns or taking away turns you'd otherwise have). It does make ranged attacks deadly. When you're charging one space per turn the mage has a lot of time to lob spells at you.

—Alorael, who agrees that E1 is very, very U3-like. It adds 11 years of polish to the mix, but it could very nearly have been remade with the same engine.

Nicholas Nicholas

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,159
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:51 AM #32 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

can some one give me a screen shot please. (exile 2 please)

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:13 AM #33 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

Download the graphics in the first post of this thread. The game looked exactly as it does now, but with those sprites rather than the ones from Exile 3.

—Alorael, who has to admit that the old graphics have a lot of charm. They were cruder, but they weren't ugly. They're also still how he pictures sliths.

Nicholas Nicholas

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,159
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:21 AM #34 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

i once download it from over 1000 games for windows, but i lost it! I want those graphics!

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:24 AM #35 Old versions of Exile & Exile II

You can replace the new graphics in the appropriate files with the old ones. Are you using a Mac or Windows?

—Alorael, who can see a disadvantage to having a computer and an OS with the same name. Really the question is whether you are using Windows or Mac OS. The former is far more likely given that no modern Mac OS will run Exile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users