What area do you live in? (POLL)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Location poll (48 member(s) have cast votes)

What region do you live in?

1. Pacific Northwest (6 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. California (4 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Four Corners area (3 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Wisconsin (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Chicago (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Ohio (3 votes [6.25%] - View)

7. The South (4 votes [8.33%] - View)

8. Western/middle Pennsylvania (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

9. Philadelphia / lower NJ area (3 votes [6.25%] - View)

10. New York (2 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

11. New England (1 votes [2.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

12. British Isles (3 votes [6.25%] - View)

13. Continental Europe (5 votes [10.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

14. Australia (4 votes [8.33%] - View)

15. Other (8 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:16 PM #1 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Pick the best answer.  Feel free to give more details in a post, or not.  Categories have been chosen based on known member locations, which is why some are much more specific or cover a bigger or smaller area than others.  Feel free to complain about them in a post, or not.  Woo.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Harald Slackjaw Harald Slackjaw

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:04 PM #2 What area do you live in? (POLL)

The East Coast is present in detail. Everything west of that is a few scattered specific locales, oddly mostly either containing s C or being Ohio. What about the Midwest? Pacific Northwest? Texas? Unclear if there's anywhere from those parts of the US but it's a little odd to have no options at all for anyone outside the known Spiderweb hotspots.

—Alorael, who also notes Alaska's tragic absence. Now how is he supposed to perpetuate his lies?

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:15 PM #3 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I live in Nevada, so I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to pick. Other, I guess.
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 17,190
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:58 AM #4 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Right now im in Mozambique but i live in Kenya but in 2 years its Portugal so....  Other?

Neb Neb

What a save!

• Member ID: 4,879
  • 578 posts
  • LocationReigning in Toeldo

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:22 AM #5 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I don't really have a permanent address at the moment, but I will have moved to Ireland four months from now, so that might make British Isles the best answer.
Calamity Refuge - Ligrev's Lounge - Spidwerweb Roleplay Wiki

(20:05:03) Nalyd: and lo, the lord alienware descended from heaven on wings of fire, and spoke in a tongue of flame, "buy my superfluous leds"

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:36 PM #6 What area do you live in? (POLL)

rabble rabble rabble
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Schoolin' Salmon Schoolin' Salmon

½ Man, ½ Amazing

• Member ID: 3,699
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:44 PM #7 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Slarty is the NSA!
Got pr0n? Join the Spiderwebbers!

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• Member ID: 3,558
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:08 AM #8 What area do you live in? (POLL)

View PostCallie, on 05 August 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

I live in Nevada, so I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to pick. Other, I guess.

I feel like Four Corners could have been replaced with a broader category. The way I usually hear that used applies to about a 100 mile radius from the quadripoint or, at most, the whole Colorado Plateau. I see Slarty sorted me there in the meetup thread, but it's probably not a label I would have applied to myself.  
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:20 AM #9 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Is there a better name for the set of four states?  I guess "Four Corners States"...
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:36 AM #10 What area do you live in? (POLL)

The Southwest would cover those four plus probably Nevada and Texas. Or just The West, which would also include Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

Really, I shouldn't be the one complaining (even though you told us to). I feel for the Spiderwebber in Oak Park trying to decide how broad your definition of Chicago is. :p

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:47 AM #11 What area do you live in? (POLL)

"region"

Eamon Eamon

Citizen

• Member ID: 5,501
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:50 PM #12 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I am in Iowa, none of the choices fit so I picked Other.  Chicago is five hours away and I have never heard of anyone in Iowa who refers to living near Chicago.
Eamon will last forever

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:29 PM #13 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Growing up in Chicago, I've heard plenty of people say they are from Chicago, but they really mean suburban Chicago, like Oak Park.  :)

I put down Four Corners, but southern Arizona is really only that by making it the four states that meet there.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:56 PM #14 What area do you live in? (POLL)

11 choices for the US, three for the rest of the world - Americans still find themselves picking 'other'.

If I were to offer my opinion I would suggest that your method of breaking down the regions has resulted in a less efficient sorting method than keeping them more general.

Alberich Alberich

Shaman

• Member ID: 4,626
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:13 PM #15 What area do you live in? (POLL)

You could've just gone by federal judicial circuit...

Schoolin' Salmon Schoolin' Salmon

½ Man, ½ Amazing

• Member ID: 3,699
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:07 PM #16 What area do you live in? (POLL)

He's a mod. He could have just harvested all the IP addresses and (assuming no privacy VPN tunnels) just categorized us his way and locked the thread. In fact, why didn't you?
Got pr0n? Join the Spiderwebbers!

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:21 AM #17 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Yeah, it might've been a better idea just to use regular geographic regions rather than these inconsistent categories. For the U.S., the BEA regions are pretty good (New England, essentially Mid-Atlantic, South, Great Lakes, Plains, Southwest, Rocky Mountain, essentially West Coast), although I might want a few more granular distinctions (Upper South and Deep South, for example).

For the rest of the world, continents seem like a good starting point — although, again, a few more granular distinctions might be nice (especially for Africa and Asia, because they're so large).
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:48 AM #18 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Well, I suppose I did invite everyone to complain :)

Just to reiterate -- the reason for using these highly inconsistent categories, was because the goal was not to look at geographic distribution overall, but rather to show the most relevant detail in the least amount of options.  Obviously having Africa, Asia, and a lot of other stuff rolled into "Other" isn't equitable, but given that no one has replied who is in Asia (all 4 "Other" responses are accounted for, and none of them are near any other respondants thus far), it wouldn't really help anything to split Asia into multiple parts.  All of the areas specifically listed definitely have multiple members in them, accounting for people who haven't answered the poll, however small the areas may be.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:38 PM #19 What area do you live in? (POLL)

View PostSpiderweb Go, on 09 August 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

Just to reiterate -- the reason for using these highly inconsistent categories, was because the goal was not to look at geographic distribution overall, but rather to show the most relevant detail in the least amount of options.
I get that, but it doesn't look like you've succeeded at even that goal.

And the terms that you've used are not very clear to people in those regions (e.g., "Four Corners area" to someone in Arizona probably means someone in northeast Arizona, but I think you meant to cover the whole state).

View PostSpiderweb Go, on 09 August 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

All of the areas specifically listed definitely have multiple members in them, accounting for people who haven't answered the poll,
Having categories that make sense only when the people you expect to answer actually do answer is not great poll design.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:44 PM #20 What area do you live in? (POLL)

...it's almost like, since we already have this information about a bunch of other people, it isn't necessary for them to answer the poll -- it's easy enough to merge all that information.

This isn't complicated.  Terms were picked to describe existing data, not cover all possibilities, and the post explicitly says "pick the best answer" in light of that.  This is a message board, so where the categories are insufficient, people can post more information to clarify.  *shrug*

Harald Slackjaw Harald Slackjaw

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:03 PM #21 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I think we should do Benford sorting instead.

1. Your address starts with a 1.
2. Your address does not start with a 1.

—Alorael, whose address has started with a 1 only one time.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:39 PM #22 What area do you live in? (POLL)

My current address starts with a 1. Does that mean I have to change my PDN to "Benford?" :rolleyes:

Also, I guess Florida is "The South" for the porpoises of this poll?

Edit: off the top of my head, I can think of at least two other addresses I've had that also started with 1, one that started with 3, one that started with 2, and one that started with 5 (plus several other past residences whose addresses I don't recall).

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:17 PM #23 What area do you live in? (POLL)

View PostKelandon, on 09 August 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

And the terms that you've used are not very clear to people in those regions (e.g., "Four Corners area" to someone in Arizona probably means someone in northeast Arizona, but I think you meant to cover the whole state).
I grew up in New York so everything west of Pennsylvania can be called the West Coast.
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:42 AM #24 What area do you live in? (POLL)

If nothing else, I find it odd that the categories are non-overlapping. With several "Other" responses from people inside the US who feel their area isn't covered, I'd have added at the very least an "Other - North America" option, with the instruction to pick the most specific one applicable. Right now, for example, that would absorb 3/4 of the Other votes.

(I'm also not sure why Chicago and Wisconsin each get separate categories. They haven't been picked yet, and Wisconsin isn't particularly populous - #20 according to Wikipedia.)

Level 1 Hermit Level 1 Hermit

Soldier

• Member ID: 11,029
  • 104 posts
  • Locationfar away

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:01 AM #25 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I am genuinely surprised that California is not the most/ one of the most popular areas.

That's right, there are other places in the world.
Bist unto wo, juioul unto wo.
Lament the soul yet pity thyself, for when what heeds reckoning unfolds upon men brings but a falseness in thought and an err in thy ways.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:03 PM #26 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I believe that there are several of us who have connections to California but do not currently live there.  That said, CA is only slightly under represented in the poll right now.  1/8 of the US population, so it should have two votes not one.  My first address started with a 1.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,728 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:21 PM #27 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Chicago and WI perhaps should be the same category.  That said, I know of three members in WI and three in Chicago, which would make for a pretty big category.

I've lived at six different addresses beginning with a 1, spread across four states.  Sheesh.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:16 AM #28 What area do you live in? (POLL)

I've lived at only one address beginning with a 1, but the past three places where I've lived were all had a repeating number in them.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:55 PM #29 What area do you live in? (POLL)

5,8,4,9,and 7 were all from the street address, however if you include post office boxes there was a 1.  Two places had adjacent repeating numbers.

Maybe Slarty could have a poll based upon current location numbers.  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:38 PM #30 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Well, it looks like the departure of the Calref Commune hasn't left me completely alone on this side of the Mississippi. Who's up for a camping meet up for us rugged Westerners? :p

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:09 AM #31 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Hm. The street numbers I've lived in, in order, are 10, 88, 6, 121, 32, 55, 23, 10 and 40.

Rhinestone Jedi Rhinestone Jedi

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,578
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:55 AM #32 What area do you live in? (POLL)

California (Los Angeles).  

I did live in actual Chicago for two years once.  Maybe a good term to refer to Chicago and a somewhat vast suburban area (but not Iowa or Wisconsin) would be "Chicagoland."  Also previously would have been able to answer Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Pacific Northwest, New England, The South, and Other x2.

I have lived at three addresses starting with a 1,  but also nine addresses that have not, and five I can't remember/don't know.

TriRodent TriRodent

Mercenary

• Member ID: 8,173
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:58 PM #33 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Well let's see, from where I am now Ohio is about 12 miles north of me, so technically in 'the south'.  However the southernmost point in Ohio is several miles south of me (& several dozen off to one side), so It's hard to pick 'the south' when parts of 'the north' are south of me.... confused yet?  So I could justifiably pick 'Ohio' as that's much closer to me than the states that I do consider 'the south', but then again that would associate me with Cleveland & I just don't want that.  'Other' it is then....

As to the other developing thread offshoot - my parents lived/still live in a '1' & I did spend a few years in my own '1', however the vast majority of my home ownership (2 houses spanning 25+ years out of 30ish) has been with a '2'.

So with regards to the polls, put my square peg into whatever round hole you want.  As usual I'm hard to classify/quantify

Galactic Maiden Galactic Maiden

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,257
  • 22 posts
  • LocationYharnam

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:12 AM #34 What area do you live in? (POLL)

Well, Phoenix isn't really that close to the Colorado Plateau, but Arizona is one of the states that makes up the four corners, so I'm gonna go with that one?

"Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.”

Soul of Wit Soul of Wit

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 1,001
  • 497 posts
  • LocationMotown

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:07 PM #35 What area do you live in? (POLL)

complain
"I'm beginning to question your dedication to Spiderweb Software"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users