hi guys, i cant believe i never joined the forums sooner. i have a cool suggestion

wherezmytofu

long time ago, when the earth was still flat. i use to spend my time on exil III. one of the things i loved about it, was on the PC version. the character and monster avatars were bmp files you could edit in paint :) . And ofcourse i made my group all super special. was wondering if this could be added in. i'm not saying the character avatars arent cool already, i just like to customize more :cool:

Well, that's certainly still possible, at least on windows. For exile remake remake, the files are in the folder "Avernum Files\Avernum Graphics PC" wherever you installed it. Although now they're PNGs it looks like (when did Jeff do this switch?), so you'd get better results using the GIMP or Photoshop or another program that can handle alpha-layers well.

The main barrier to modifying graphics now isn't the software, it's the graphics. We've gone from just a handful of sprites representing a monster or character to having animations, and now they're larger and higher resolution than the small, simple sprites of yore, which means there's a prohibitive amount of work do to add new graphics.

—Alorael, who knows it can be done. It even has been: the chitrach graphic in A4 was despised, and a fan made a new one that Jeff patched into the game. But most people lack the skills or the willingness to do it.

That's just the cake :D , I think I am going to make this my profile pic, don't think that makes any difference to the Tyranicus and warning saga though, all terms and conditions remain the same.

(and just so you guys know people are still allowed to help me out (or maybe give me more cake, I love cakes :p ))

the chitrach graphic in A4 was despised, and a fan made a new one that Jeff patched into the game. But most people lack the skills or the willingness to do it.

That was done in Blender, and had something like 64 frames, right? Has anyone tried to do anything similar since?

The Silent Assassin welcomes you to our little section of the Interwebs, and hopes that Greg will bless and keep... you... door... sanity... turtles... tentacles... you get the idea.

i know we're not banning puns but can we at least ban content-free posts about puns, every second thread lately is ruined by some kind of derail about them

This. If it's not directly relevant to the topic at hand, take it to the pun thread.

---

Another issue with modifying graphics in more recent games is that the sprites are different sizes and character graphics usually have multiple files for all the animations. This can mean having to change the scripts before a game can run with the edited graphics.

Dikiyoba.

"Ergo" is Latin for "therefore". By "summus" Harehunter probably meant "sum", "I am". "Summus" means "top" or "highest".

Or "Ergo, summus non gratus sum" which sounds like "Therefore, I am the most unwelcome." (if mangled. "sum summus"? To be honest, I never know where to put the verb.)

I think the verb can go anywhere. Was für eine Sprache.

I can without problems English sentences write. The word order correctly to choose, find I very easy! ;)

(That was actually difficult. When you learn a language long enough, its grammar becomes so ingrained it is almost impossible to deliberately substitute another.)

word order isn't really a thing in latin. i mean it kind of is but you can mess around with it a lot and still make comprehensible sentences

I guess "summus gratus non sum" would change the meaning to "I am not the one most welcome". But yeah, that sounds fair.

(To check, is the pronoun just optional and usually left out, or would it be incorrect to include an "ego"?)

An old friend of mine who was interested in learning Latin but a true lover of English insisted on writing technically correct sentences in Latin using English standard word order. I don't think he made any Latin friends doing that.

—Alorael, who as a total non-expert suspects that some amount of confusion comes from the fact that Latin is one language today but centuries of linguistic change over its lifetime. Trying to pin down the rules is probably like trying to make simultaneous sense of Shakespeare and Philip Roth at the same time. You can do it but you end up with something that isn't quite what either one of them actually wrote/writes.

An old friend of mine who was interested in learning Latin but a true lover of English insisted on writing technically correct sentences in Latin using English standard word order. I don't think he made any Latin friends doing that.

Ehh, who does make any Latin friends? Native Latin speakers give everyone the cold shoulder. The most you're likely to get out of them is a terrifying, "Cerrrrrrebelllllla!"

(To check, is the pronoun just optional and usually left out, or would it be incorrect to include an "ego"?)

The pronoun is so frequently left out that when you include it, you pretty much have to translate it as "It is I who..." rather than just translating the sentence. But it's not grammatically incorrect as such to include it.

—Alorael, who as a total non-expert suspects that some amount of confusion comes from the fact that Latin is one language today but centuries of linguistic change over its lifetime. Trying to pin down the rules is probably like trying to make simultaneous sense of Shakespeare and Philip Roth at the same time. You can do it but you end up with something that isn't quite what either one of them actually wrote/writes.

There's a little bit of this, but less than you might think. Modern people trying to read/write Latin are pretty much going for a particular place (Rome) at a particular time (the first century B.C.). That's pretty much been the ideal since at least the Renaissance, and arguably since that era actually occurred; people began studying Vergil and Cicero in literally the next generation.

I'm not much of an expert, either, but the core rules from Plautus all the way to, say, Augustine don't change all that much. Vocabulary is a little fluid, and pronunciation changed some bit, and the occasional form shifted, but the changes were quite minor compared to, say, what happened to English from 1400 to 2000 (a comparable length of time).

My two most favorite teachers in high school were my Latin teacher and my English Lit. teacher. These two people had such a passion for teaching and a passion for their topic. In fact their passion was so strong, more that a little bit rubbed off onto their students.

Another source for how Latin was used in its day is the work of Ovid, a poet. Here is where we see more and more of the declensions and conjugations that make minced meat out the common structure of the language. But then poetry does tend to play fast and loose with syntax in any language.

Another source for how Latin was used in its day is the work of Ovid, a poet. Here is where we see more and more of the declensions and conjugations that make minced meat out the common structure of the language.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this isn't right. Ovid didn't use more declensions or conjugations than any other Latin writer of his era, really. One of the common lines about Ovid, actually, is that his work was incredibly smooth and graceful, without a lot of the straining that makes Propertius sort of fun but kind of hard to understand. His word order was a little funky, but most poets' word orders were, and you can kind of do that in Latin.

We do have some non-literary Latin that shows how Latin was used by the common people back in the day. Graffiti on walls in particular is an interesting source, and it has all the properties you would expect of graffiti, though in an ancient culture. Some papyrus, too, has weird everyday Latin on it.

Even that stuff, though, doesn't really break the inflectional system as much as just screw up a form here or there, or mis-spell a word (because of changed pronunciation).

What I meant was that in poetry, English or Latin, phrases are sometimes inverted in order to meet the rules of rhyme and meter. The beautiful thing about Latin is that because of the lexical depth of declensions and conjugations there is more freedom syntactically while still being totally unambiguous. Prose is written more in the style in which people normally speak. Poetry is written in a style that is more musical and pleasing to the ear, but is not the style that would normally be spoken in conversation.

Another source for how Latin was used in its day is the work of Ovid, a poet.

Ovid was more or less contemporaneous with Virgil and Cicero, though; they are three of the most influential writers of the golden age of Latin literature.

Ovid, personally, is my favorite. There can be no greater review of the efficacy of Ovid's Art of Love, a sordid poem on seduction and adultery, than the fact that Ovid was exiled by the emperor because of the immorality the book provoked.

The beautiful thing about Latin is that because of the lexical depth of declensions and conjugations there is more freedom syntactically while still being totally unambiguous.

One of the things that I like about English writing from about the 16th century to about the 18th century or so (depending on the author) is that it's basically modern English, but they were imitating the ancients (and imitating people imitating the ancients) so much that they pretty much freed up English word order, too, with a surprisingly small amount of ambiguity. We can do a hell of a lot more with English than most people ever attempt, and there was a time in high prose and (more so) in high poetry that it was in fashion to do so.

There can be no greater review of the efficacy of Ovid's Art of Love, a sordid poem on seduction and adultery, than the fact that Ovid was exiled by the emperor because of the immorality the book provoked.

He was also probably sleeping with the emperor's daughter, and this probably had at least something to do with his exile.

long time ago, when the earth was still flat. i use to spend my time on exil III. one of the things i loved about it, was on the PC version. the character and monster avatars were bmp files you could edit in paint :) . And ofcourse i made my group all super special. was wondering if this could be added in. i'm not saying the character avatars arent cool already, i just like to customize more :cool:

Don't worry friend, I've lurked for years after finding Spiderweb Games on one of the first Mac Addict disks. Even now I rarely find my way here due to life, and kids, and life, and also those damn kids. But I hope Jeff knows that these have been some of the best RPG's I've played for a long long time. Long time. Ever. Long Time.

Who?

Correct!

file.php?avatar=78_1351457870.jpg

(People have actually speculated if Yoda's speech is based on German. However, with some attention to detail this doesn't make sense, because Yoda moves the verb to the end almost universally, while German only does so with an infinitive construction like "subject can write [object] -> subject can [object] write" or relative sentences "subject who writes [object] -> subject who [object] writes". And yes, actual linguists have actually analyzed Yoda.)

(People have actually speculated if Yoda's speech is based on German. However, with some attention to detail this doesn't make sense, because Yoda moves the verb to the end almost universally, while German only does so with an infinitive construction like "subject can write [object] -> subject can [object] write" or relative sentences "subject who writes [object] -> subject who [object] writes". And yes, actual linguists have actually analyzed Yoda.)

He's very close to the word order of Latin, which does tend to put the verb on the end. The very strict "subject-verb" ending of the sentence that he follows is a little weird, but most of the time, presumably it reflects a conjugated verb. For example, in "look as good, you will not," the phrase "you will not" would be one word in Latin (a verb) and it would naturally go at the end of the sentence.

There are some places where isn't quite what he's doing ("Agree with you, the council does") and wouldn't be completely normal in Latin, but it would be comprehensible for sure. It would just be slightly emphatic (emphasis on "Agree with you").

what

thinking these linguists are not. likely is what more:

1) language's grammar he analized, and incorporate it into his movie george lucas did

2) scramble sentences, george lucas did

speak yoda does like poor spam

may the force with your member be, call our canadian pharmacy you shall

Edited by Sylae
also i had no idea that's what calref's new avatar urls looked like, and for a fleeting moment thought aran was hacking calref to display who pics...for some reason