Bernard: I WANT TO STRANGLE HIM

So, how about that Bernard character in Geneforge 2? Seriously, every single sentence that leaves that worm's mouth makes me want to strangle him, he's as bad as Dolores Jane Umbridge. Here's a particular gem:

"I met somebody named Manny, he told me you took his Mandrake Tincture. Know anything about that?"

Bernard: What? Who? Oh, Manny. That servile, you mean? Yes, I think he did have some of that stuff. I didn't have any, so I took it. You know how it is, yes? The serviles belong to us shapers. we can take what we want, right?

The fact that this smarmy pinhead has the nerve to call himself a shaper when he did absolutely no training whatsoever, then considers himself entitled to shaper social superiority, which I don't feel is justified either, just makes my blood BOIL. What do you guys think about him?

...and now he's dead. Seeing the text "We shapers are wise" above his head just made me lose it. I almost want to make a mod that does nothing but add the following dialogue option:

"Bernard, you are a smarmy, egotistical pinhead, and your continued existence offends me. I literally lie awake at night, struggling to go to sleep, because I know that somewhere out there, you are still breathing. I intend to fix that now." (Attack)

Also of note, that was the first time I have ever committed murder in a western RPG. I. Feel. So. Satisfied.

Bernard: What? Who? Oh, Manny. That servile, you mean? Yes, I think he did have some of that stuff. I didn't have any, so I took it. You know how it is, yes? The serviles belong to us shapers. we can take what we want, right?

Wow, I haven't met him yet, but such a kind of guy will probably make me rethink whether Taygen deserves to stay no. 1 in my most hated position.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm pretty sure Bernard's behavior being jerkish is, well... the point. It's one of the earlies and hardest clues of what the outcome of Barzite Philosophy would be. When everyone and their mother has power, there would undoubtedly be those who would use it and abuse it to get a leg on those weaker. People ARE that awful and when power is handed out indiscriminately some of those horrible people would get that power. There's no avoiding it.

I'm pretty sure Bernard's behavior being jerkish is, well... the point. It's one of the earlies and hardest clues of what the outcome of Barzite Philosophy would be. When everyone and their mother has power, there would undoubtedly be those who would use it and abuse it to get a leg on those weaker. People ARE that awful and when power is handed out indiscriminately some of those horrible people would get that power. There's no avoiding it.

Yes, but who cares about that when YOU (yes, you) could be one of those with the power?

“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.”

Margaret Thatcher

So, how about that Bernard character in Geneforge 2? Seriously, every single sentence that leaves that worm's mouth makes me want to strangle him, he's as bad as Dolores Jane Umbridge. Here's a particular gem:

"I met somebody named Manny, he told me you took his Mandrake Tincture. Know anything about that?"

The fact that this smarmy pinhead has the nerve to call himself a shaper when he did absolutely no training whatsoever, then considers himself entitled to shaper social superiority, which I don't feel is justified either, just makes my blood BOIL. What do you guys think about him?

But the problem is that Trajkov is much worse. He travels to a hidden island from across the sea with strange boats. He's basically Columbus. Traveling across the sea with strange boats. The strange boats are the nina the pinta and the santa maria. Once he gets there he takes advantage of the situation. He makes trades with savages who are in reality the serviles or would be indians. Instead of giving them poisoned blankets he uses the gene forge to make him a god. From there the serviles or indians strength is tapped and he can do whatever he wants.

This doesn't happen though as my shaper lets his roamers bite him before he can. The similarities are almost too close and every time I have to fight him its like a history lesson all over. Columbus is a bad guy but Trajkov is almost worse.

Also if he used the gene forge he would gain more navigating skills for when he sails away. The only problem is if he charts on the wrong course, he will get angry and crash the boat in the rocks. The gene forge is supposed grant intelligence and power but also impairs judgement. He might also destroy the crew with a high lvl searer in anger of charting off course. Another reason I would never use the gene forge....except in the 4th game that is.

But the problem is that Trajkov is much worse.

Huh? Trajkov is one of the most positive characters in the whole series AND he actually delivers. The trick is, he looks like a power-mad tyrant for the most of the game - but in the end he is the sanest heavily augmenetd person ever. His ending is, by far, the best.

Taking the series as a whole, the plot and themes both imply pretty clearly that a war between Shapers and creations was inevitable once Sucia was rediscovered. Trajkov brings that war to the best possible conclusion, at least for anyone remotely in favour of creation rights.

For a bit of input, yeah, Bernard is pretty much a jack@$$.

Trajkov isn't really that bad. He has moral motivations, he's able to control the canisters, unlike those Barzites that come later...

Geneforge 2 has probably one of the best stories. At first, I tried to powergame all the sects, abandoning the Servants, then going to the Awakened. Seeing Shanti's death played with my emotions, and make me take a Loyalist ending. I did all I could to kill everyone in Rising after seeing that humiliating end.

As for the Takers, meh. Fun endgame enemies.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Also if he used the gene forge he would gain more navigating skills for when he sails away. The only problem is if he charts on the wrong course, he will get angry and crash the boat in the rocks. The gene forge is supposed grant intelligence and power but also impairs judgement. He might also destroy the crew with a high lvl searer in anger of charting off course. Another reason I would never use the gene forge....except in the 4th game that is.

I actually have a theory (granted I haven't played G4 or 5 still as I'm still diddling around in 3) that the Geneforge/canisters can, and often do exacerbate certain inborn personality traits. The risk isn't 100% however.