What's Wrong with the Forums?

Callie

The forums were hacked. He/She/They/It inserted a nefarious script that effected every page the forum made using php. We had to reinstall UBB from scratch to get rid of it.

Many thanks to the moderator Aran for his timely and knowledgable assistance.

The problem has been fixed and the posts/membership survived, but we did lose our forum customization. That will slowly trickle back in as I and the mods find missing pieces.

-Mariann

Wow.

Out of curiosity, was the board serving up anything malicious at any point?

(When I visited it shortly after the hacking, Firefox claimed that it employed an unreadable form of compression, and Opera rendered the page as a bunch of Unicode gobbledygook. Could this have been the result of an attempt to launch a hostile payload?)

Uh oh.

Niemand's Member Number for Ubb Threads userscript no longer seems to be working.

Simply changing it to reflect the new URL scheme fixes nothing. Also the new URL scheme seems to have like eight ways to view a topic.

I might have a crisis if I can't see member numbers.

Whoops. I fixed a bunch of it using Wayback Machine to compare, and I copied the header from there. Then I realized I didn't want to leach their rehosted Spiderweb logo, so I fixed the link... wrong. It should be working now.

—Alorael, who will just note that his first change was, of course, re-enabling PDN changes. It was important!

Originally Posted By: Slart of Glass

Also, I'm totally taking the chance to change my mood before those get locked again. tongue

confused mood best mood

Originally Posted By: uǝʍoɹ
I am glad that Mariann and Aran were here to save the forums, and update UBB too. Thank you Admins and Mods for all the thankless work you put into keeping these forums running smoothly.

you know technically it's no longer thankless work if you're thanking us for it

which means you can't be thanking us for anything

which means it's thankless again

way to create a paradox dude

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Sylae
Niemand's Member Number for Ubb Threads userscript

What is this? It sounds interesting.
It's a script that injects the user's member number into the sidebar of a post, so as to more closely resemble the classic UBB. It's helpful when people constantly change PDNs and avatars and stuff.

Link to the script.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Could we have the option of turning off the right column again? Who's Online, Top Posters, etc.

Done.

And since Dikiyoba is poking around in that area, Today's Birthdays in the right column, yay or nay?

flutteryay.png

Last time the boards went down for that extended period of time... my account was eaten.

I return... and not shortly thereafter, massive board downtime strikes again. Coincidence?

Or is this all my evil plot to get back at Mariann? I've never forgotten, Mariann. And I never will. You will always be my mortal enemy.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Mysterious Man
Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
There has been board downtime more recently than your account was eaten.

Buzzkill.

Agreed. Board downtime is a major buzzkill.

Oh, you were talking about the fact that the correlation wasn't strong? Oops.

I don't think you using the word correlation was necessary at all. Lest you forget, I am but a simple-minded naive compared to the massive intellect of the collective of this board.

But, now that you mention it... board downtime doesn't seem like a buzzkill to me. If anything, it seems more of a reason to get schwasted. Next time Spidey goes down, I say everyone has to take a shot anytime they try to access the board and it's still down.

Quote:
But, now that you mention it... board downtime doesn't seem like a buzzkill to me. If anything, it seems more of a reason to get schwasted. Next time Spidey goes down, I say everyone has to take a shot anytime they try to access the board and it's still down.

Or one could just take a shot anytime one attempts to access the boards. Seems more expedient.

Hey, so something is screwy with PDN changes. Whenever I add a space to my PDN, I get this message:

Quote:

You can only have alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) in your display name. Special characters are not allowed because this allows users to spoof other display names. You may use the _ character to represent a space.