Wikipedia Blackout

Actaeon

So Wikipedia tells me it will be offline Wednesday as an act of protest against SOPA. I had the amusingly dual reactions of "like that'll do anything" and "OMG how will I survive?".

I'd like to hear this community's thoughts on internet activism, our dependence on the web, and obviously all things SOPA.

You do know that Eric Cantor has pretty much tabled SOPA? It's not going to be brought to vote anytime soon. Of course, that dosen't mean PROTECT-IP is dead, but frankly PROTECT-IP is way easier to deal with, even if it still is sub-optimal.

Pity I have to support SOPA now. I really didn't want to, but anything Cantor dislikes probably will turn out to be a good thing for America. tongue

Originally Posted By: Dantius
You do know that Eric Cantor has pretty much tabled SOPA? It's not going to be brought to vote anytime soon. Of course, that dosen't mean PROTECT-IP is dead, but frankly PROTECT-IP is way easier to deal with, even if it still is sub-optimal.

Pity I have to support SOPA now. I really didn't want to, but anything Cantor dislikes probably will turn out to be a good thing for America. tongue

I assume that you are--at least partially--joking. Protect IP is not easier to deal with. Both pieces of legislation are unworkable. There is a (still flawed, but workable) alternative bill, called the OPEN act.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
So Wikipedia tells me it will be offline Wednesday as an act of protest against SOPA. I had the amusingly dual reactions of "like that'll do anything" and "OMG how will I survive?".

I'd like to hear this community's thoughts on internet activism, our dependence on the web, and obviously all things SOPA.

There is effectiveness in calling attention to potential legislation that most Americans have never heard of--including many who spend a lot of time on the internet. Sites like Wikipedia and Craigslist serve a diverse demographic.

Bear in mind that TV news has given zero coverage to SOPA and Protect IP. The media conglomerates support the legislation, but are wise enough to realize that an informed public will not.

SOPA and Protect IP are unworkable and need to be scrapped. Problems include ineffectiveness against pirates, interference with legitimate uses of the internet, bias towards the well-heeled, security issues with DNS, and lack of due process. There is a preferable (but still flawed) alternative, the OPEN act.

Quote:
Bear in mind that TV news has given zero coverage to SOPA and Protect IP. The media conglomerates support the legislation, but are wise enough to realize that an informed public will not.

SOPA and Protect IP are unworkable and need to be scrapped. Problems include ineffectiveness against pirates, interference with legitimate uses of the internet, bias towards the well-heeled, security issues with DNS, and lack of due process. There is a preferable (but still flawed) alternative, the OPEN act.
I feel like the bill itself is a prime example of the US government being heavily influenced by the wealthy; sort of what the Occupy movement is all about. This is also an example of why I don't like mass media; you only see what they want you to see.

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
But I really hope Google/Youtube joins that blackout. It will effectively shut down the entire internet.

The only way that will work is if Bing, AOL, Yahoo and whatever search engine apple runs on its iPhone join them, otherwise Google will just lose a portion of its market share and income.

Luckily the top web sites in the US are pretty well documented: http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US.

There are alternatives to Google's search engine, but Youtube's #3. Many of those sites (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Craigslist, imdb) are under no obligation to keep up service. Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, and Netflix may have more trouble.

Like Dantius said, SOPA is dead for now. But it or something like it could come back. And PROTECT-IP is, in my mind, nothing more than politicians using the door-in-the-face technique again.

Blacking out Google... doubt it's going to happen. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a doodle on the subject. Blacking out Wikipedia... effective, but not everyone uses Wikipedia on a daily basis. The idea of searching the Internet to find an answer to something is still foreign to some people, surprisingly. Blacking out Facebook or Youtube... if it does happen, it will be ridiculously effective. Even a thirty-second redirect with a short informative message and a link for congressperson contact information will do a lot.

I feel like SOPA and similar acts are sort of like bad DRM. All they will do is make things harder for those of us that do things the right way. The dedicated hackers and pirates will always find a way around the blocks.

That said, I haven't done too much looking into the specifics of these acts.

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
I bet all the pron sites are also joining in, that should really make a dent wink

Yeah, though I read that certain sites are now less frequently visited than certain other social media sites. Having an aversion to most news sources, I'm not sure if this is still the case (or, really, what SOPA is).

This is less impressive given that Wikipedia says on its own page that it's intentionally accessible by mobile and by disabling Javascript. I think they're doing absolutely the right thing: raising awareness by virtually everyone visiting Wikipedia while not impeding access to information.

—Alorael, who finds that he can still access Wikipedia pages with Javascript on even with a fast connection. It just requires hitting command-period immediately after clicking a link and a few tries.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I feel like SOPA and similar acts are sort of like bad DRM. All they will do is make things harder for those of us that do things the right way. The dedicated hackers and pirates will always find a way around the blocks.

That said, I haven't done too much looking into the specifics of these acts.

You understand SOPA/PIPA quite well. DRM can always be circumvented. The best that you can do is to slow people down. DRM does often screw over paying customers and casual users.

Or, you know... http://www.britannica.com/. (Because no one would ever just walk down to the library and grab a physical copy).

The volumes are really useful for squashing bugs. I don't think the warranty for my computer would pay for repairs if I used it instead. smile

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Now that we have a protest against SOPA maybe people should pay attention to the US government retaining the right to indefinitely detain US citizens...or assassinate them without due process.

But but... those people don't give us funny pictures of cats! Can't you see SOPA is important?

I can has copyrights!

Originally Posted By: Karoka
That is nothing new.
Okay, that's it. I'm moving to Canada.

I know little about Canadian politics, but surely they have their own problems as well, like proroguing.

they also have a complex regarding america

I was not aware so many people still had VCRs.

I still have a LaserDisc player in one of my closets, to be perfectly honest. My VCR is right next to my DVD player, and it's still hooked up to my TV (and yes, the time is correct).

There's even record player hooked up to my new computer! I must be getting old...

DVD Players are getting to be sort of out of date, too. Which just means that soon, you will be able to pick DVDs up cheap at yard sales and second hand stores the same way you can get VHS now.

... How do you go about hooking up a record player to a computer, and what does that accomplish? I usually go the opposite route, hooking my computer into my stereo system when I'm bored of my vinyl and the radio's less than stellar.

How do you go about hooking up a record player to a computer, and what does that accomplish? I usually go the opposite route, hooking my computer into my stereo system when I'm bored of my vinyl and the radio's less than stellar.
My record player actually has a USB port on it and can be hooked up to my computer as an audio input device. If you have an older record player, you can certainly use adapters that would turn the output from RCA to standard minijack, which you can plug into most any computer.