Dear Jeff, I have a confession to make.

Major General

I've never bought your games. Ever. I've freeloaded off your demos since the 3.5" disk.

Then after going to college, working several jobs, paying off my college debt, etc. I boot up Steam and suddenly see Avadon.

Released by you.

And I get paid in 4 days.

You still make demos. I ran into the Demo Demon. I miss the Shareware Demon, and I think the Demo Demon would be better replaced by the Indie Demon.

But that is my only complaint.

I look forward to actually buying your games in 4 days, sharing my thoughts, and purchasing the Exile/Avernum back catalog before the year is out.

Thank you for all the good memories in gaming, and I hope you continue to crank out good games!

Actually, it's cheaper than that with some order of operations.

The original Exile trilogy is $25. Getting the first Avernum trilogy when you own Exile is only $15. The second trilogy is $55, BoA is another $25, Avadon is $20, the Geneforge series is $75. Nethergate is, oddly, the most expensive of the bunch at $30, but then the remake is just $12. That's just $257 total.

For a long time, Nethergate was only $15 with purchase of any other game. I'm not sure if that's still true, but if it is you can bring it down to $242.

—Alorael, who hopes Jeff will maybe take a look at his older games' prices sometime. Nethergate for $30, more than its own update, is ridiculous. The fact that getting the Exile trilogy is more than the Avernum trilogy in the above isn't, because it's effectively a $40, six game bundle. It just comes out looking funny.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, shaper servile.
What? how dare you! BoE FANS UNITE!
I have nothing against BoE. I was merely commenting on the foolishness of purchasing a freely available game. tongue

I'm kind of glad I bought it before then, because that game is worth money just out of principle. It's sad that the open-source project didn't go anywhere.

While the engine is ancient (and the whole node-based scripting the worst thing ever), I don't know any free DIY RPG platform remotely as accessible.

(And on purely nostalgic terms, even the event nodes had an endearing sort of style, where the technical limits allowed for amazing artistic feats. I'll never forget the WTF of seeing an actual cut-scene in BoE.)

The open-source project went somewhere. Most of the bugs have been fixed. The problem is that nobody has ever made it available in an easy-to-use (i.e., platform-specific executable) and easy-to-get (i.e., one click to download, well advertised) form.

It's incredibly silly that nobody has done this since an awful lot of work has gone into OBoE.

Originally Posted By: Slartucker
The problem is that nobody has ever made it available in an easy-to-use (i.e., platform-specific executable) and easy-to-get (i.e., one click to download, well advertised) form.

That's not really true, I was wondering about this for other reasons yesterday and found the downloads in only a couple of steps: BoE Forum Header -> Google Code Page -> Downloads. I clicked on the download labeled as being for my OS, downloaded it and ran it. It may not be very thoroughly advertised, but I'm not sure how else that should be done. Maybe a direct link to the downloads page from the BoE Forum Header? That would still only cut out one step. There are also a few extra things on the downloads page that aren't what most people will want, but it's not hard to figure out from the labeling.

Hey, thanks for those pointers.

(I suppose I'm kind of to blame for missing things like that when I've been gone from these forums for years.)

I'm trying it out now. The open-source build seems to work just as well in Wine as the old one (which is to say, good, with some minor graphics glitches). Pity I have neither the C knowledge nor the free time to help along with a native Linux version.

I wouldn't be surprised that if Jeff suddenly began making the Windows version first some of us Mac users would throw a fit and not buy his games. With a lot of games the Windows version comes first, and if the Mac version even comes around it might end up being a poorly done port. The quality of a port kind of depends on who does it, though. I find that Aspyr doesn't do the greatest job.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I wouldn't be surprised that if Jeff suddenly began making the Windows version first some of us Mac users would throw a fit and not buy his games. With a lot of games the Windows version comes first, and if the Mac version even comes around it might end up being a poorly done port. The quality of a port kind of depends on who does it, though. I find that Aspyr doesn't do the greatest job.
It depends on the game. Aspyr, and most other porting companies, don't do full ports like Jeff does. Rather, they use Cider, a commercial implementation of Wine that supports DRM. As always, some things work better in Wine than others.

Jeff's games have always worked pretty well in Wine, too (aside from the glitches mentioned, like artifacts on the italic equipped-item texts in the Exile series), even the newer games (though the newest one I actually tried was Avernum 4).

I didn't try to run the native Linux Exile 3, but would be surprised if it actually still worked on a 64bit architecture with a modern kernel. That is likely one reason Jeff never made another native port.

Originally Posted By: [censored
PDN char limit]PC really just means "personal computer", but nowadays it's usually used as "a box with Windows on it".

Note that taking a hacksaw to your computer so that you create windows in its casing is not a great idea. Doubly so if it isn't your computer.

Originally Posted By: The Forgotten Ann/Arm
Originally Posted By: [censored
PDN char limit]PC really just means "personal computer", but nowadays it's usually used as "a box with Windows on it".

Note that taking a hacksaw to your computer so that you create windows in its casing is not a great idea. Doubly so if it isn't your computer.
Or you could just buy a case with those plexiglass windows in it.

Which I never understood. I mean, I get wanting to show off your four graphics cards in SLI, but after awhile it would have fingerprints and dust and yucky.

PC is also used as the catchall term for non-Apple hardware, which was once a more useful distinction. Now, the actual architecture of computers running Windows and Mac OS is similar, and it's the software that differs, but that's only a recent development.

—Alorael, who is neither a Mac nor a PC. He's a meatling.