Dear Jeff, I have a confession to make.

Major General

I'm pretty sure WOPR is IBM compatible.

—Alorael, who doubts it would run another OS. Linux is suspiciously foreign and possibly communist. Unix might be okay, but now it's now worryingly linked to Apple, whose aesthetic doesn't invoke the kind of chunky, can-do Americanism that a war machine should have. And Windows has the story of rags-to-riches capitalism that America needs behind it!

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Annhog
It means you can use it to bomb different continents, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

ICBM != IBM C

We can still dream, though.

My dreams were all but shattered until you told me I didn't have to give them up. And hey, you got the full joke, so that's something.

In the OS war though, who is going to play [that one country that always does this] and switch sides?

Originally Posted By: Slouching Towards Blosk
I'm pretty sure WOPR is IBM compatible.

"The only winning solution is not to play.
How about a nice game of chess?"

—Alorael, who doubts it would run another OS. Linux is suspiciously foreign and possibly communist. Unix might be okay, but now it's now worryingly linked to Apple, whose aesthetic doesn't invoke the kind of chunky, can-do Americanism that a war machine should have. And Windows has the story of rags-to-riches capitalism that America needs behind it!

On the database server side, I prefer Unix. It allows me to set up different environments for each user, as opposed to all users sharing a common registry. But on the desktop I am a strongly adherent to Windows. The open architecture of first IBM PC did open the doors wide open for entrepreneurs to build additional hardware and software to rapidly improve its functionality. The resulting machines of today are the result of capitalist competition.

Interesting perspective on Linux though. I'll have to percolate that through my neural net to know how to respond. I am ambivalent because it is open architecture, like the first PCs, and its resemblance to my DB servers is comfortable. But then you point out that it is communist. Well, it is the result of a community effort, so I guess the word applies.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
But on the desktop I am a strongly adherent to Windows. The open architecture of first IBM PC did open the doors wide open for entrepreneurs to build additional hardware and software to rapidly improve its functionality. The resulting machines of today are the result of capitalist competition.

Windows also still hasn't caught up to Mac OS. There are good arguments for using Windows—price of hardware, arguably, and definitely availability of software—but quality of OS is generally not conceded to be one of them. There's a substantial case to be made for Windows being the result of a near-monopoly wrecking the free market. The IBM compatible hardware, on the other hand, has improved, but having non-compatible hardware would have driven competition just fine.

Yes, I've just started another platform war.

Quote:
Interesting perspective on Linux though. I'll have to percolate that through my neural net to know how to respond. I am ambivalent because it is open architecture, like the first PCs, and its resemblance to my DB servers is comfortable. But then you point out that it is communist. Well, it is the result of a community effort, so I guess the word applies.

More like democratic in the Athenian sense, really.

—Alorael, who notes that he left out the Windows in his post. No, IBM-compatible does not mean Windows box. For one thing, it predates Windows.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Man, if any of my algorithms ever gained sentience and told me it didn't want to solve a game, I'd tell it to get back to work before I SIGKILL it.

You have a lethal signature?

Just so you know, SIGKILL (as in kill signal) refers to the signal that in POSIX systems (like Linux) causes a process to terminate.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I'd tell it to get back to work before I SIGKILL it.

You have a lethal signature?

Just so you know, SIGKILL (as in kill signal) refers to the signal that in POSIX systems (like Linux) causes a process to terminate.

i would still give that question partial credit

Windows also still hasn't caught up to Mac OS. There are good arguments for using Windows—price of hardware, arguably, and definitely availability of software—but quality of OS is generally not conceded to be one of them. There's a substantial case to be made for Windows being the result of a near-monopoly wrecking the free market. The IBM compatible hardware, on the other hand, has improved, but having non-compatible hardware would have driven competition just fine.

Yes, I've just started another platform war.

I always thought that the stability of the MAC OS was due to the closed architecture of the system. By keeping the core hardware proprietary, Apple had a finite set of components to write its OS to. The IBM model invited the invention of various, competing hardware, over which it had no control, thus resulting in an anarchic melange of semi compatible hardware and software. Even as stable as the current MS OS's and applications, in my final analysis, Windows is a pane in the glass.

MAC OS
Sorry, but this is a big pet peeve of mine.

Mac= An abbreviated form of Macintosh, a computer made by Apple. It is not an acronym, therefore only the first letter is capitalized.

MAC= Media Access Control, an identification system for network interfaces.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
MAC OS
Sorry, but this is a big pet peeve of mine.

Mac= An abbreviated form of Macintosh, a computer made by Apple. It is not an acronym, therefore only the first letter is capitalized.

MAC= Media Access Control, an identification system for network interfaces.

If it's an abbreviation, shouldn't it be Mac. OS? That looks even worse than MAC OS.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Mac is an abbreviated form of Macintosh, it's true. But "Mac OS" is actually the name of the OS. Not Macintosh OS, and not MAC OS either. Mac OS.
Actually starting with Lion, Apple has removed Mac from the name altogether. It's officially just OS X now.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
iOS
iOS is something separate, at least so far.

Somewhat related, but mostly off topic. Is there a 'message board' app that would allow me to view posts without having to go through the browser on my iPod? If not could one of you with a Mac get the dev kit and start working on it. tongue