Gaming quotes.

Android

What are your favourite gaming quotes?

I just played a bit of Planescape: Torment, and started thinking about writing in games. Torment is of course almost unique as games go in quality of writing.

I can't really pick a single one, but I´ll leave this here:

"What a terrible night to have a curse."

It's from Castlevania II. This game is horribly translated, but this sentance puts so much atmosphere into the game.

(I also want to confess the fact that I have never actually finished this game!)

(Also, a close contender is "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!)

I look forward to hear what my fellow Spiderwebers have to put foward.

Fire Emblem, for GameBoy Advance (the first Fire Emblem game released in America) is incredibly quotable, IMO. I shall copy and paste a few of my favorites:

“Pegasi are noble animals! So, they must eat noble carrots, you see!” – Farina

“I am Glass! The gods fear my name!” – Glass (Seriously...who's afraid of a guy named Glass? He sounds so fragile...)

“Lowen…Would you mind explaining exactly how you managed to fight your way back from Pherae while stopping to have a picnic during every battle?” – Isadora

“Gah! Do-don’t do that. Warn me when you’re about to talk! It’s not polite to frighten me.” – Legault

“You’re making fun of me in a roundabout way!” – Serra

“I might as well be Normal Archer number three!” – Wil

Originally Posted By: System Shock 2
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Originally Posted By: Canderous
Working for Davik was like driving a spike through the side of your head... Sure you get something new in there, but in the end, you've lost something as well.

There are others, but I'm too lazy to look them up now.

EDIT: One more I can't believe I forgot! Arcturus Mengsk, from Starcraft:

Quote:
I will not be stopped- not by you, or the Confederates, or the Protoss, or anyone! I will rule this sector, or see it burnt to ashes around me!

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Quote:
I will not be stopped- not by you, or the Confederates, or the Protoss, or anyone! I will rule this sector, or see it burnt to ashes around me!
This, and the
is good too. If the Dominion was a democracy, you'd vote for him.

*click*

Pretty much anything from Alpha Centauri.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
The inaugeration speech is good too. If the Dominion was a democracy, you'd vote for him.

Speaking of good video game speeches, the
was also really really good, both in the context of the game and as a standalone. It's like what would happen if Ayn Rand's editor (hahaha) stood her down and forced her to write Galt's speech in under a page. And if she didn't suck at writing.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Or at least as much of an idiot as a novelist who manages to sell pretty well can be. Which is still fairly much of an idiot.

In some circumstances, it makes you even more of an idiot. Ever read the Left Behind series? 65,000,000 copies sold, and they're easily the worst pieces of writing ever. They make fanfiction look like Shakespeare. Well, I suppose that technically they would just be fanfiction of the Bible, but the fact remains that they are simply god-awful.

"Look at our Precursor vessel. Is it not unique?"

"Yes, your vessel is unique, and here is the crux of the problem. A `unique', meaning singular, starship is not equal to the task of destroying the entire Ur-Quan armada.

If you had, say, ten thousand similar starships, we could take your boasts more seriously."

On the subject of Ayn Rand, Left Behind, and so on, I think there is talent involved in writing a book that millions of people will buy. It's not literary talent in anything like the traditional sense, if anything much of it seems to run counter to what people who spend time thinking about what makes writing "good" think of as good writing. Nevertheless, if any hack could write a bestselling novel, there would be more bestselling novels.

@Excalibur: seconded on the subject of Drop Bear repellent, and Drop Bears in general.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
I think there is talent involved in writing a book that millions of people will buy.

Is this related to the talent of cruddy teen popstars who manage to sell tons of tickets and albums, à la Bieber and Cyrus?

That said, I'm not a fan of Rand, but I haven't read more than one (maybe) of her books.

"And... do try not to get swallowed whole. If the beast were to fly about afterwards and poop it out, irony would dictate that it would land on me. I couldn't take it."

From Shale, in dragon age: origins...too bad the expansion and sequel sucked.

Another one would be the famous "meatbag" line from kotor.

The Legacy of Kain series produces some memorable lines as well:

Raziel: "You said it yourself Kain, your coin only has 2 sides."

Kain: "Apparently so, but suppose you flip a coin enough times and one day it lands on its edge."

or

Kain: "Raziel... the Abyss has been unkind."

Raziel: "I am your creation, Kain. Now, as before, you criticize your own work."

A collection of the best:

Click to reveal..
Originally Posted By: ZORK
>Kiss me

> I'd sooner kiss a pig

>Kiss pig

> I don't know the word "pig" grin

Originally Posted By: ZORK
>Get

> get what

>Get house

> not bloody likely laugh

Originally Posted By: Tales of the Unknown
>**drink**

> who will drink?

>**anyone**

> what will **anyone** drink?

>**ginger ale**

> the girls are not impressed

>**drink**

> who will drink?

>**anyone**

> what will **anyone** drink?

>**beer**

> not bad!!! sick

There's more; I'll add them later.

Alpha Centauri: (In a pleading voice)

Don't go.

The drones need you.

They look up to you.

Please don't go.

Commissioner Pravin Lal

"The Science of Our Fathers" :

(On fusion power)

Our ancestors harnessed the power of a sun, and so again shall we.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"For I Have Tasted The Fruit":

The substructure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons quarks. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries.

"Now We Are Alone" :

(On super string theory)

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions--if only we lived in one.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang

"Looking God in the Eye" :

Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a Dataprobe. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang

"Looking God in the Eye" :

Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.

Anonymous Metagenics Dockworker

MorganLink 3DVision Live Interview:

Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology.

"For I Have Tasted The Fruit" :

Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Immanuel Kant

"Critique of Pure Reason":

(this was a real person)

There are only two ways in which we can account for a necessary agreement of experience with the concepts of its objects: either experience makes these concepts possible or these concepts make experience possible.

Li Po

From the Yang Collection :

We sit together,

the mountain and I,

until only the mountain remains.

And there are many, many more

This was one of the most brilliant games for its time

eternity lies ahead of us

and behind.

have you drunk your fill?

(Also from Alpha Centauri. I love that game.)

This one from SMAC technically doesn't count, because they're just quoting Sun Tzu, but it is a quote and it is in a game.

If I determine the enemy's disposition of force while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. Thus the pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless. If it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it or the wise make plans against it.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Saddler, you're small-time!

No, I'm wrong-time. My favorite non-SW games:

Loderunner: The Legend Returns
Tales of the Unknown
The Island of Dr. Brain
The Castle of Dr. Brain
The Secret of Monkey Island
ZORK: I, II, III, and maybe 0
Planetfall (maybe)
Below the Root
Paganitzu: I, II, and III

etc.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite series to quote is probably Mass Effect. The games are full of great lines from Commander Shepard ("I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite shop on the Citadel.") But Mordin actually steals the show, and earns my award of best video game quote, with his scientist salarian song. Also many of his "nothing new to say/too busy" lines are hilarious.

And favorite SMAC quote: "If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps

this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself."