What is this white stuff??

Masquerade

Ok, yesterday it was 34 degrees celcius and today there is thunder, lightning, rain and hail stones raining down from the sky. yeah, turns out you can have a white christmas in Australia, even if it it results in car damage and melts after 10 minutes. Is the weather as crazy everywhere else as it is here?

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Isnt it technically summer there?

It is. Hail and thunderstorms are pretty common in summer here, at least in Melbourne. Haven't had any hail here lately, but we did get some rain and thunder. (And just so you know, 34 degrees Celsius is hot, not cold -- the equivalent of about 95 degrees Fahrenheit.)

Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor
Sorry 'bout the misused apostrophe. I'm usually very uptight about that stuff.

you can edit your own posts you know

Isnt it technically summer there?

Yes out seasons are opposite to the seasons in the northern hemisphere because of the earths' tilt and position around the sun. We don't normally have this type of rain in summer, usually we would be very lucky (or unlucky if your driving) to get 10 minutes of hail each winter.

Quote:
It is. Hail and thunderstorms are pretty common in summer here, at least in Melbourne.

Not so much up here in the hunter, at least from my memory, but winter is another story all together. You guys must be in for some pretty long days down there, huh?

A few weeks ago we had about a foot and a half of snow, the most I've ever seen in England, and the ice has only just finished thawing (snow invariably turns to ice rather than melting away nicely here). Unfortunately, they have forecast the same again for this coming weekend - I say unfortunately, because having no car, and living a fair walk from any bus terminal really blows in that kind of weather.

Looks pretty though.

We had one of the coldest Novembers on record. It snowed. Repeatedly. I must have shoveled our walkways three times in one week, and around here you're not likely to do that in a single month. Of course, now that winter is getting ready to start, all the snow has melted. That's Idaho for ya.

Ah, winter Michigan driving. I remember having to drive forty or more minutes through 6 inches of snow to get to school on the days where it snowed at night. Slush, blizzards so intense that the tracks from the car in front of you are filled in by the time you get to them, digging out of ditches. I've done more than Michigan driving, I've done northern Michigan driving.

Which, interestingly enough is nothing compared to most Canadian driving.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Master1
The school system here in Maryland released an hour early. The forecast called for a whole inch of snow.
An "inch" of snow? What's that? wink
Quote:
Then again, Marylanders can't drive to save their lives...
Apparently, you've never driven in Michigan. eek

Michigan drivers are fantastic. I don't know if you've ever been down South - and "South", in this scenario, is Ohio and down - but the roads there are littered with people who have no business operating a car.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Originally Posted By: Master1
The school system here in Maryland released an hour early. The forecast called for a whole inch of snow.
An "inch" of snow? What's that? wink
Quote:
Then again, Marylanders can't drive to save their lives...
Apparently, you've never driven in Michigan. eek

Michigan drivers are fantastic. I don't know if you've ever been down South - and "South", in this scenario, is Ohio and down - but the roads there are littered with people who have no business operating a car.

Are you kidding me? Michigan's requirements for a driver's license must be that you show up drunk and stay tat way, because there's no other way to explain how downright bad at driving they are.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Nikki.
i wish i were clever enough to make a lilith post and get away with it here.

saying my name three times into a mirror won't actually make me appear you know

Apparently it only took one time.

I know there are horrible drivers here in Indy, especially the first time it snows every year, it's like they forget what it is.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
I know there are horrible drivers here in Indy, especially the first time it snows every year, it's like they forget what it is.
Same here in Michigan. Every year, when the snow first starts falling, someone goes on the local news stations to tell people how they need to drive when there's snow & ice on the roads (drive slower, give yourself more time to stop, etc.). However, also every year, there's a large number of accidents during & immediately after the first snowfall, because some drivers mistakenly think that the laws of physics--let alone the rules of the road--don't apply to them.

However, also every year, there's a large number of accidents during & immediately after the first snowfall, because some drivers mistakenly think that the laws of physics--let alone the rules of the road--don't apply to them.
If the laws of physics dont apply to santa, then they dont apply to me. Of course, santa has talking reindeer who are either alcoholic or have cancer, so I guess it doesnt matter anyways.

However, also every year, there's a large number of accidents during & immediately after the first snowfall, because some drivers mistakenly think that the laws of physics--let alone the rules of the road--don't apply to them.
If the laws of physics dont apply to santa, then they dont apply to me. Of course, santa has talking reindeer who are either alcoholic or have cancer, so I guess it doesnt matter anyways.

What? No, Rudolph!

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
(i.e. Are you an anthropomorphic personification of a holy day?)
Technically, Jesus wasnt born on christmas, so its not really a holy day. (And in my mind, everyday is my own little holiday.)

When I first read "anthromorphic", I thought "Oh god no, santa is a furry?" Then I realized what you meant. Although it would explain why Santa stalks everybody to see if their "naughty or nice".

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith

What? No, Rudolph!
So that explains Rudolph's shiny red nose; he must've dipped into the eggnog a bit earlier than usual. tongue

By way of injecting some socially valuable, constructive content here:

Don't ever make eggnog with Scotch. Some recipes call for it, but the result is vile. Rum and brandy are fine. There might be some other spirits that are tolerable, but eggnog time is a time for tradition. Unless your tradition is eggnog with Scotch.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
By way of injecting some socially valuable, constructive content here:

Don't ever make eggnog with Scotch. Some recipes call for it, but the result is vile. Rum and brandy are fine. There might be some other spirits that are tolerable, but eggnog time is a time for tradition. Unless your tradition is eggnog with Scotch.

Scotch? No, why sully good Scotch with eggnog? Bourbon on the other hand...

Also, brandy is disgusting no matter with what it is mixed.

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
Ok, yesterday it was 34 degrees celcius and today there is thunder, lightning, rain and hail stones raining down from the sky. yeah, turns out you can have a white christmas in Australia, even if it it results in car damage and melts after 10 minutes. Is the weather as crazy everywhere else as it is here?

www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/20/3097248.htm

Nature strikes back.