Spiderwebber for life.

Spddin Ignis

i have started reading the archive and so far it seems only mildly interesting,

i might be on the wrong year though....

oh and i just found this *random fact*

oh and this

in fact i think that most of this is just the same as the topics now, 1 = 1

the babblefish contest looks interesting though, maybe someone should make a new one...

Originally Posted By: Iffy
I feel sorry for the oldbies.
A bunch of 2009 newbies are debating on the greeting that was made far far far before their time.

Well, the greeting is for new members far more than it is for the older ones. Oldbies do post the greeting too, but it's the newbies like No Intro who are really excited about it.

That said, the greeting is older than Dikiyoba's time here, so perhaps Dikiyoba is still too new to talk about it. tongue

Originally Posted By: Andraste
If there's anything I've learned in my travels around the interwebs, it's that things were always better in the past. 100% true in every community I've ever observed.

Not only that, but last year things two years before that were amazing. Now things that happened three years ago are just pretty good. Everything is retroactively decaying!

—Alorael, who would proclaim the majesty of RWG if he thought any of you newcomers could possibly appreciate his majestic wit and ancient wisdom. Pfah.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
but it's the newbies like No Intro who are really excited about it.

i don't remember implying that i was excited, i was excited but i didn't imply it.
from now on i'm wearing my tinfoil. tongue

Edit:
Originally Posted By: The Ratt
the picture was created by Emperor Tullegolar, who is now banned. Perhaps you've heard of him.

yes i have, i'm part of his rpg and i had just started posting when he was known as sleeping dragon.

Originally Posted By: Metatron
Originally Posted By: Vituperation Free Albemuth
—Alorael, who would proclaim the majesty of RWG if he thought any of you newcomers could possibly appreciate his majestic wit and ancient wisdom. Pfah.

His post-future wisdom far surpasses his ancient wisdom though.

If they cannot understand his ancient wisdom, how will they understand his post-future wisdom? Or any other of his time-breaking wisdom? They are not even equipped with the implants!

Originally Posted By: Dantius
If there's anything I've learned in my travels around the interwebs, it's that things were always better in the past. 100% true in every community I've ever observed.

This is actually a occurance in real life, too. Ever heard someone reminisce about the "good old days"?
Meh, speak for yourself. I think the community has gotten better in the time since I joined. Not by a huge amount, and not steadily, but it seems a better place overall. Nostalgia has a way of preserving your good memories and erasing your bad ones. Yes, back then we had epic conclusions to epic RPs*, but then we also had Postcount November.

Man, I'm getting a big nostalgia trip just reading these archives. I think my first post was in the wonderful I Want to Crush Your Dreams thread. I had this scenario trilogy set up with this great plot** and everything. Four years later, the first ones still sitting on my hard drive***.

* Well, sometimes epic.

** Demons. Well, a bit more intricate than that, but demons.

*** (and maybe a svn server somewhere)

**** You probably didn't understand that unless you've read the entire RP. Whoo boy was there a lot of cruft in that one.

EDIT: I also just read Alorael's farewell topic.

Jerk.

I'll admit, I miss the old days, but on the whole I agree with Dintiradan (was it four extra arms or six... I can never remember). There are a lot of interesting folks around now, and we seem to be having a revival of our old RP-ing habit, which is always fun. I've had a few moments recently where I've thought "Man, what we need is a good RP, like Legends of Divinity or something."

...and then I remember about AIMhack. tongue

Now if we could just get some more Blades scenarios finished. I can say that because I'm about to release one, for the record.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
(was it four extra arms or six... I can never remember)
I think he sprouted another set of arms at one point, then shortly thereafter another pair. Or something like that; I wasn't present at the time. Man, I am so glad I only caught the tail end of that RP.

It would have been quite boring playing Gnosis when no one had entered the mountain yet.

--------------------
Curator: So...
Gnosis: How about a nice game of chess?

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Yes, back then we had epic conclusions to epic RPs*, but then we also had Postcount November.

Man, I'm getting a big nostalgia trip just reading these archives. I think my first post was in the wonderful I Want to Crush Your Dreams thread. I had this scenario trilogy set up with this great plot** and everything. Four years later, the first ones still sitting on my hard drive***.

Ah yes, the days of yore. In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

(was it four extra arms or six... I can never remember)
I think he sprouted another set of arms at one point, then shortly thereafter another pair. Or something like that; I wasn't present at the time. Man, I am so glad I only caught the tail end of that RP.
I was wrong, it was only one pair of arms (and a few more ribs several posts later). I forgot that Nazgul decided to ragequit after this; good thing he rejoined.

Originally Posted By: Alorael
I also just read Alorael's farewell topic.

My what now?
Link.

I don't remember that thread, and I was here back then. Then again, I didn't really do much on the general boards at the time...

I do, however, remember a much more recent "farewell" topic where one mention of mai tais quickly spiraled out of control as people kept adding things to it; come to think of it, I may be responsible for about half of the resulting tongue twister.

Bah, everyone knows that Alpha Centauri is really full of mind worms. All other life forms on the planet have the distinct disadvantage of not being horrible psychosis-inducing worms that consume their prey's brains from the inside out.

Actually, it's all xenofungus. It's just that some of the xenofungus is more ambulatory and more vicious than than the rest.

—Alorael, who remembers that moment well. Good times with not saying goodbye! Better times with bye tais, but no one's perfect.

Originally Posted By: From November 2006
Dikiyoba 2257

Wow. That was a very long time ago.

But it seems everything old is new again. As of today, image tags are back! (Please note the board rules for images, which conveniently happen to be exactly the same as the board rules for everything else.)

Dikiyoba was going to post all of Dikiyoba's old "witty" screenshots of SW games in honor of the occasion, but Dikiyoba sees no reason to make you all suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late for this topic, 9 days old, please forgive me if this is classed as thread resurrection, however I visit these forums occasionally. The oldest date I could find myself on was 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/2001122112473...b=forum&f=1

I remember the boards were re-done twice over and at one point a reputation system came in, despite attempting to be as helpful as possible I didn't get much of a rep. anywhere close to TerrorsMartyr and gang. The good old days. laugh

I started reading SW forums in 2003 when I bought Geneforge 1 and was looking for gameplay tips. It was my first RPG. Throughout the years I've posted mostly when I was playing a game. Since Geneforge 5, I've spent more time lurking than I did in the past, probably because I'm a more experienced netizen now and better able to appreciate the nice atmosphere. Nobody knows who I am because I'm around infrequently and don't post much, but I like it here and really enjoy the sense of community. I feel a part of it even if I don't post.

Yeah, same here. I believe I discovered these while looking for a walkthrough for G2. Quite a while ago. I even had an account on the old boards, but I can't remember my username (all I remember is that it wasn't as witty as my current one (and my current one isn't really all that witty)).

You can, but the chances are fairly high of a quick flame war, thread locking, and general unpleasantness. Because unfortunately, when it comes to politics, there are a surprising number of people on these boards who are so astonishingly mentally deficient that they will actually disagree with you.

On the other hand, there have been some really fascinating discussions here that have touched on politics. Just make sure you frame things carefully so that the main issue isn't too heated for people to think straight.

To give some idea of what's over the line and what isn't, threads about the ethicality/origin/politics of homosexuality usually work fine, but threads about abortion never work. The issue isn't the polarization so much as the heatedness. Similarly, debates about the virtues of different political ideologies work fine, but topics about the country Jerusalem is in never work.