Geneforge 5: Overthrow - October Update

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dikiyoba:

My immediate reaction was that of course it depends on the number of creations you have with you. If you're hauling over 100 tons of creations around, your jumps all take 2 days. Then I realized I'd been staying up far too late playing EV Nova again (new TC that's actually not very good, except in making you want revenge).

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Though as a beta tester I know the actual G5 map, I'm antsy about my NDA. But I can remind people about Geneforge geography in general.

I have always imagined that the zones represent isolated areas of interest or challenge, not a tiling of the map. Some adjacent zones may be quite far apart. G5 finally includes at least one explicit tip that there maybe long walks between zones. I still think Jeff should spell this principle out more explicitly, but maybe he doesn't have to.

The scale is not necessarily the same in every game. Sucia Island seemed relatively small, and its servile villages really only had a few buildings. The Ashen Isles evidently extend over considerable latitude, and G4 is considered to run the whole east coast of a large continent. Some city zones in G3 and G4 are obviously too small to represent full major cities, so presumably they portray only the town centers, ignoring dull suburbs around.

Anyway, the point is that the Geneforge zone system gives Jeff a lot of freedom with geography. He could have G5 cover the entire globe if he wanted, or have it all happen within a hundred miles of the Turabi Gate. What we'd see in either case would be cities and zones not so different from what we've seen before. You know you can get to the Shaper Council, and you can guess it's probably a good few zones travel to get there. But geographically it can still be wherever Jeff wants it to be.

Hmm, I never thought of that. That would actually make alot of sense. Of course, this can't be used in Avernum, as there are only what, 10 people in each city? A few guards? A merchant or two.

From what I learned from the 4 Geneforge installments, G5 most likely takes place in Western and Southwestern Terrestia. Here's my proof:

*In G2, you were sent by the Shaper Council to Drypeak. You start from the Southeastern part of the G2 globe.

*In a few G4 Descriptions, it says one of the strongest Rebellions(Takers and Drayks and Drakons) were North of Terrestia, and it would have been the Northwest of Terrestia because you dont see Drypeak of Medab in the Northeastern part.

*The description for the upcoming G5 is that "Both Shaper Rebel sides are locked in a stalemate." This means the ending for G4 must have been a Trakovite, and Akkahari Blaze stated that the Unbound will advance West, and the endgame description for Trakovite ending states "Both sides are locked in a stalemate". (Although it says somewhat the same for Pro-Rebel ending, wont the Rebel side be overpowered in all ways, and the stalemate was actually to the Drakons' favor?

*The Shaper Council is actually stronger than the Keep on Dhonal's Isle on the Ashen Isles, so it should have contained more forces than Dhonal's Isle has. Since the Start-game description for G4 says "At first, Shapers were taken by surprised, but then they regrouped, and their armies came." Considering how strong the Shaper army was, they probably took the neariest Rebel-controlled land, the Illya Province. This means the army that came to attack Rebels came from Turabi gate, which is the Southern link between Western and Eastern Terrestia, where the Shaper Council was probably nearer.

If I am wrong at any point, feel free to correct me.

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
And, I will admit, Trinity is right about the scale, so if G5 takes place in western Terrestia, then I am going to be really sad when the entire G2 area is boiled down to a few areas.

Which kind of in itself argues against staging G5 there, in my opinion.

I dunno. Just visiting Drypeak again might be fun, without having to trudge through the wastes first.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
I dunno. Just visiting Drypeak again might be fun, without having to trudge through the wastes first.

I don't really see how Drypeak'd be much fun, really. It's a bunch of desert.

The Freegate, on the other hand... that'd be just cool for the effect. Freegate always was my favorite place.

Yeah, exactly. Think of how many zones at the very start of GF2 are just leading in to Drypeak? In that game, they're important for setting up atmosphere, and plot. This time, you can maybe condense them to just Drypeak, since Sharon will have undoubtedly moved on (is anything actually said about her again? Ever?), and the hidden tunnel to the valley would have been blasted in.

And it doesn't have to be Drypeak - if we get to play on Sucia, you could have the three main towns, the Geneforge zone, and a few others, without the zones like the two bridges east of Pentil, or all the northern zones which just house creations designed to keep you from exploring there too early.

Originally Posted By: Alas I Cannot Swim
Yeah, exactly. Think of how many zones at the very start of GF2 are just leading in to Drypeak? In that game, they're important for setting up atmosphere, and plot. This time, you can maybe condense them to just Drypeak, since Sharon will have undoubtedly moved on (is anything actually said about her again? Ever?), and the hidden tunnel to the valley would have been blasted in.

And it doesn't have to be Drypeak - if we get to play on Sucia, you could have the three main towns, the Geneforge zone, and a few others, without the zones like the two bridges east of Pentil, or all the northern zones which just house creations designed to keep you from exploring there too early.

Wouldn't the game zones have to be bigger to fit all this? Or am I misinterpreting some of what your saying?

What he's saying is that Drypeak colony has many more spots of interest in G2 than it would if it showed up in G5. The first two zones of G2 are of a road that is only important because it sets up what's happening in the entire region. If Drypeak were to make an appearance in G5, the road would no longer be important and wouldn't get a zone dedicated to it.

Dikiyoba.

Were those just posted? Or has everyone here been just talking? It does, however, seem that the game does take place in Western (or at least Northwest) Terrestia.

*Pitchblack sheepishly admits that he never actually looked through the screenshots. \

Edit: Actually, I did see the first screenshot on the page and the one where you first approach Alwan. I did not see the map, though.

Yeah, the new weather effects effecting flying creations, what's up with that?

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why vlish and wingbolts kept losing action points during snowy or stormy weather.

They were struggling against the wind, duh.

I think it is awesome when a blizzard is blowing and visibility is reduced to near zero.

And during the really bad storms, you can hear the wind howl and you take cold damage. That was neat.

I'm still struggling with the kite-running quest at Moist Peak City. As much as I want to tip my hat at the notion of having real world politics in this game - where do I find the blasted string?

edit: @ Ackrovan and pitchblack - perhaps yes and maybe yes... or no... or... wait and see.

another edit (I'm getting old): Geneforge 5 - Overthrow shouldn't be released before the first wednesday in May. It's just too good to come out before that. Way too good.

Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
Weather effects. Snow, hail, wind, lightning storm, and dust.

Dust storms are not kind to eyebeasts I'd imagine.

Technically that was sand and not dust, which is even more abrasive to eyebeasts. This explains why you only find one eyebeast outdoors in the game.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Don't complete that quest! If you do, the creature attacks you anyway, just as if you had refused. But now it doesn't miss.

You also need the focusing crystal to create the pacification pendant.

Spellcraft +4 and Mental Magic +4

To good for words.

If I recall correctly, the human rebals swooped down into Illya provence while the Unbound held off the bulk of the Shaper Army. They reconqured it(and I'd also suppose the forsakand lands). Then they would of went west into southwest terristia. The Drakons are likly in the north, caring for the Unbound, while the human rebals/moderates are in the south, each probable east while the shapers are west.

Originally Posted By: Xelgion
You are cruel people, very, very, cruel people.

Oh your so nieve

Originally Posted By: Dark Neptune
It doesnt look like Northwest Terrestia contains 80+ areas. We may need to travel Southwest though.

Your not including the special dungeons areas.

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Yes... Southwest is probably under rebel control.
This is most probably not true, every Geneforge has enemies in increasing numbers the further north you go, as is the case with most RPG games. The higher the level the more intense the enemies get. But in every Geneforge game rebels are always found hiding in the center of some snow-capped mountain.
That is all.

Originally Posted By: BlueRivets
Are you guys even trying to trick us anymore, or are you just saying random things?

I'm not saying this is a timely response, but why do you think they call him Randomizer?

-S-

ADDIT: The dubious contents of this thread have, like a gas-filled dirigible, greatly distended it with sheer, kyshaak-like bloated bulk. Just don't light a match. tongue