Geneforge 5: Overthrow - October Update

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, because, well, these Update threads are long, man, and I don't remember this being answered fully. But... people have noted that Jeff has said that G5 would 'tap some of the power of our graphics card'. Considering that the Spiderweb games have been considerably and eminently easy on my computer's graphics capabilities... what kind of dazzling graphical effects can I be looking forward to? Some more (& better) animation, I hope? Honestly... based on the screenshots: although it is graphically prettier than any of SW's predecessors, the graphics aren't drastically improved (and actually the game seems to be retaining many if not most of them in literal form).

It seems to be more a change in how graphics are done by the program rather than a major shift in what you see. There are some new graphics for spell effects that you haven't seen before.

Jeff is using OpenGL and added windowed mode as an option. Also there are a few changes in the display interface for players with larger screens and higher resolutions in their monitors that older computers won't be able to take full advantage when playing. *sigh* lousy 14 inch laptop.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
*sigh* lousy 14 inch laptop.
And here I was actually looking forward to getting a new 13" Mac laptop. (...Waiting for the prices to drop.) I'm sure the graphics card is sufficient, though. At any rate, I miss my old Mac, I hate this buggy Windows system, the fan's disorderly conduct is driving me crazy, and I like the portability of laptops; I've never had a laptop before.

Anybody here think it's a bad idea? No doubt the desktop computer is superior in numerous ways, but... especially for a writer, I'm sure that the laptop must be, in comparison, like a kind of faithful traveling companion, always there when you want/need to write something. I don't want to use the word "notebook".

Having a laptop means you can always have your computer by your side, whenever you travel anyplace, whether it's to visit your parents, or an old friend in another city. You can always sit down to write... or check email. Or post on Spidweb.

There's a Mac store practically next door. I really should head on over there and check out their products. If there's an option to shrink the resolution beyond 1024x768... that would be real nice.

My suggestion for a laptop, depending on how intensive your mouse usage is, is to buy a wireless mouse. Especially if you need to scroll or move fast for a game.

A question I have, is has Jeff fixed the annoying trait of poison damage (or any for that matter) to interrupt the healing process (i.e. you heal yourself for 300hp but you take 2 poison damage at 100hp and the poison interrupts the healing so you only gain back 100)?

Originally Posted By: Evnissyen
...especially for a writer, I'm sure that the laptop must be, in comparison, like a kind of faithful traveling companion, always there when you want/need to write something.

Meh. When it comes to writing anytime and anywhere, laptops are nice but the spiral notebook still wins. It weighs less, resists dirt better, can be knocked around without being damaged a lot more, loads up quicker, and has a battery life of weeks rather than hours.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Meh. When it comes to writing anytime and anywhere, laptops are nice but the spiral notebook still wins. It weighs less, resists dirt better, can be knocked around without being damaged a lot more, loads up quicker, and has a battery life of weeks rather than hours.

Quoted for truth.

is the new game linear as the g4, or does it have some of the g2 mystery?

In g4 i kinda felt like someone was pushing me through the plot against my will, or was this feeling only present because i've got familliar with the story? As many peeps said that g3 was linear, but for me this one was the first in the series and i still consider it the best.

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Originally Posted By: Mythrael
As many peeps said that g3 was linear, but for me this one was the first in the series and i still consider it the best.

Ok, so what happened to G1 while I was away?

don't quite get what you mean either, the first three games were nice, as one could discover the geneforge world without being driven into the story by "force", the fourth installment, well i already stated my opinion about it...

Neb gets irritated at people who play things out of order, gets irritated at those people who make the game need to explain everything that just happened in the last one because they were too lazy to start at the beginning but ended up going back to the beginning because they decided they liked the story and needed more of it.

*looks back* And that's the definition of a run-on sentence.

Neb has only played one game series out of order and found that it sucked later. Also remembers a topic about this placed here before...

That is all.

Repent, repent, for the end is near. The Unbound walk the lands of Terrestia destroying all. Only a minion of Shaper Rawal will decide the fate of Terrestia. Ehpah, ehpah.

Windows users will have plenty of time to get sackcloth and ashes.

Jeff should be providing an update soon so watch the game ordering part of this board. This offer may change without prior notice.

Originally Posted By: Nebulan
Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Look at Barzahl.
Yes, that was quite odd Neb wonders where that came about. He still pronounces it brazier, because, well, who wouldn't atleast once.
That is all.

Er, I didn't ever pronounce it "brazier".

Edit: From SW's front page:

"We are now mainly focused on porting Geneforge 5: Overthrow to Windows. We hope to have it out in early March, 2009. For Mac users, we are also developing Intel-friendly versions of Geneforge 1-3."

That means GF5 for Mac is pretty much wrapped up. So stop your complaining, all y'all.

Originally Posted By: The ear bone is attached to the leg bone

all he wants to do is become more like Sharon.
Sharon wasn't a traitor, not as one should define a trator. Sharon just wanted to be left alone and have privacy; she did not flee to the mountains join an army and create hordes of creations to attack her former allies.
That is all.

3 Things

1.Andrace doesn't think there is a company named bob international, if there is andrace will do a facepalm

2.His real name is khyryk

3.According to randomizer all shapers we have met so far are backwater losers Andrace dose not think this is so.Random noted Diwaniya spcificly saying he was sent to a boring swamp but he was a brand new shaper on his first assignment and still put up a tough fight if you tried to kill him.

I hope Andrace doesn't offend anyone these aren't exact quotes.