Thoughts about Avernum 6?

Xaiya

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In popular fantasy culture and in Avernum rakshasas seem to be tiger-demons fond of their creature comforts (read: drugs and possibly perfumes), so maybe that's the smell. In the original Hindu mythology they're demons, but I don't think they're specifically tiger demons.

—Alorael, who is certain that the rakshasas in Jeff's games come straight from D&D. His own take with a smell (where does that get mentioned, anyway?) doesn't change that.

Here is the link to Wikipedia's article about Rakshasas from the Hindu/Buddhist mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa

Originally Posted By: Wiki article
They are shapechangers, illusionists, and magicians.

Sounds like them to me! Didn't they enchant the town in Avernum 3 to look all nice and pleasant, but when you fell asleep they killed you? Erox, I think it was.

Originally Posted By: Stareye and the Siege of Spidweb
In popular fantasy culture and in Avernum rakshasas seem to be tiger-demons fond of their creature comforts (read: drugs and possibly perfumes), so maybe that's the smell. In the original Hindu mythology they're demons, but I don't think they're specifically tiger demons.

—Alorael, who is certain that the rakshasas in Jeff's games come straight from D&D. His own take with a smell (where does that get mentioned, anyway?) doesn't change that.

In the town just mentioned where they kill you if you sleep, there's one person who gives you a rational but unprovable explanation for why the town is empty except for him. If you ask him about the smell in the air, he says, "I don't smell anything."

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I would like to see a return of the Rakshasa even if they do not play a pivotal role. Nothing scared me like the Rakshasa in E2/A2 and I found that part of the game more challenging.
that's exactly what i'm saying. maybe it/they could even be completely optional, like how some games have the hardest boss as an optional one. maybe for an added incentive, the reward could be an enchanted weapon crafted by a rakshasa.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I would like to see a return of the Rakshasa even if they do not play a pivotal role. Nothing scared me like the Rakshasa in E2/A2 and I found that part of the game more challenging.

Are you perhaps familiar with the Blades work of one Terror's Martyr?

—Alorael, who assures you that there is more rakshasa than you could possibly want. And then some.

Really? I thought it took a standard -s to form the plural in English. Rakshasi is apparently the female version in its original mythology and language. Jeff can do whatever he wants to his games, but not to language!

—Alorael, who won't accept a game designer deciding that creatures should be given new spellings just because it would be interesting. What's next? Orkks? Drayks?

Originally Posted By: Feo Takahari
Incidentally, anybody know where Jeff got the idea for Rakshasas and other weird creatures? D&D's monster manual has an entry for "Rakshasa," but it said nothing about a strange scent associated with the beasties, so I'm wondering if he had an older source.

AD&D 1st editition Monster Manual had a picture of a Rakshasa. It showed a tiger in a smoking jacket with a pipe. Considering the number of other monsters from that book it was a probable source material. It was also a monster in Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original series in the early 70s), but you never got to really see it.

The last gremlin in Avernum was in Avernum 4.

The stock AD&D monsters have been one of the most influential monster sources in all of modern fantasy (themselves often derived from the most influential books of early-to-mid-20th-century fantasy, like Zelazny and Tolkien, or from mythology). Not for nothing was one of the earliest CRPGs, a protoroguelike, called "dnd".

AD&D provided a lot of idiosyncratic, memorable monsters that continue to persist in clearly recognizable form in games today. Beholders, basilisks, the four classic elementals, treants, flame and frost giants, liches, golems, mind flayers, giant animals, antlions, puddings, and of course the colored and metallic dragons come to us straight from D&D or AD&D. Of course, it also spread elves, dwarves, goblins, and orcs, as well as lizard men.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Maybe Avernum should get some unique monster if it already hasn't any.

When I got my hands on Exile II way back when, a couple of changes to the fantasy canon kept me going:

1.) Slitherakai
2.) Nephilim
3.) Vahnatai

I found all of these inventive enough...

edit: I'm still, after all these years, sad, that I didn't make it back here in due time after our first Blades of Exile endeavours. Too much work and too little thinking about Spiderwed Software's achievements kept me away until Avernum IV, which, according to some sort of canon, strangely enough got me hooked again.

D&D has very few monsters that are completely unique and created by TSR/WotC. The Open Gaming License lists only eleven creatures that are unique enough to be considered Product Identity. Even some members of this list are derived from other sources:

• A Carrion Crawler is a centipede. A freakishly big and scary centipede with a host of other features, but a centipede nonetheless.
  • Tanar’ri and Baatezu: Demons and devils. Again, specific features are mentioned for the subraces.
  • Illithid/Mind Flayer: Unique enough, but the Lovecraftian influence is apparent.
  • Yuan-ti: Part human, part snake? I've heard that before.

There are some truly unique creatures (Beholders, Displacer Beasts, the giths), but for the large part, they're bastardized versions of legends. The big thing is that these bastardizations are now standardized. Exile/Avernum doesn't pit you against goblins who are crafty and steal children at night. It pits you against tribal beings who are weak, stupid, and ugly. And woe to the setting creator who makes elves with dark skin and doesn't also give them red eyes and spiders as pets.

It's clearly tough to invent new monsters, for most you'll find close links to past monsters.

But yes, it's details that will count at the end. I wonder how many variations around elves have been done but quite a lot and quite different. If elves could be found in Tolkien, Dark elves of D&D seems original anyway.

Also to the tribute to D&D, aren't Jelly original D&D design? It's tough to setup a copyright on this but still seems original.

EDIT: And some more that seems to me (could be wrong) good candidate for a tribute to D&D monsters:

- Lich: The mixture seems original.

- Elemental: I wonder from what old myths and legends it could come.

- Mimic: The idea of a monster disguising into an item isn't inventive but the variation seems.

- Blink Dog: Well again a basic principle, teleportation but the mix seems quite original.

The undead sorcerer is a much older trope. The D&D form is a direct descendent from '30s pulp sword and sorcery stories, which in turn derive from legends and folklore. The specific formulation of D&D is unique, but it's no more unique than the dozens of versions that D&D itself spawned.

The four classical (Greek) elements are the origins of elementals. Elementals themselves came out of medieval alchemy. Paracelsus is the first reference I know of to creatures recognizable as elementals, and his names for them have also become popular, though often not themselves as elementals.

Mimics may be a D&D original. Everything in the room trying to kill you (including the room itself) really works "best" in roleplaying games.

Many slight variations on creatures are indeed original in D&D. Blink dogs, displacer beasts, carrion crawlers, cloakers, and the list goes on. They're still just animals with weird abilities and properties tacked on.

The dark elves as subterranean come straight from the Norse svartalfar. Tolkien has his elves in caves as well, in Menegroth and Nargothrond, but they don't live entirely underground. He also brought the term "dark elf" into modern fiction with Eöl. The specific society of dark elves as drow is indeed from D&D or possibly from R. A. Salvatore's spinoff novels, but adaptation is not the same as creation.

—Alorael, who doesn't know about jellies and oozes. He considers them a likely product of some combination of disgust and nightmares. They made be derived from horror B movies.

The name "dark elf" is not new in D&D, nor is the word "drow," but I think the fleshing out of the culture is much more extensive and original than any of the other examples listed. Gary Gygax detailed much of the culture and history of the drow in a number of adventure modules before Salvatore's spin-offs appeared.

In any event, the resemblance to svartalfar is present, but limited to the basic concept, and there is absolutely no resemblance to Tolkien's dark elves (moriquendi) who were not evil and did not live underground. Eöl, likewise, is more of a tragic failure than a villain, and he didn't live underground either.

Thanks, Thuryl. Thanks a lot.

—Alorael, who agrees that D&D dark elves are distinct. They're not new, though. There is nothing new under the sun or even way, way under where the sun shines. Pieces of svartalfar, dark elves, Scottish drow, and a new and particularly dysfunctional culture melded to create two-scimitared fury of righteousness.

Plays with basic elements is quite different than make monsters from them. I quote from a wiki about Paracelsus:

* gnomes, earth elementals

* undines, water elementals

* sylphs, air elementals

* salamanders, fire elementals.

That's quite different than pure elementals of D&D.

That said you'll find plenty energy beast in old SF that are closer to D&D elementals.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
And always remember: "drow" should be pronounced to rhyme with "bow", not "sow".

That's not very helpful considering that "bow" can be pronounced two ways depending on whether you mean bow as in "to take a bow" or bow as in a bow and arrows; as can "sow" depending on whether you mean sow as in to sow seeds or sow as in an adult female pig.

The way gnomes, undines, sylphs, and salamanders are thought of now is not the way Paracelsus thought about them. In fact, at least three of those are or have been D&D monsters, and they're not standard elementals at all. They were considerably more pure in Paracelsus's system.

—Alorael, who pronounces drow "drough" most of the time.

Originally Posted By: feline monstrosity

That's not very helpful considering that "bow" can be pronounced two ways depending on whether you mean bow as in "to take a bow" or bow as in a bow and arrows; as can "sow" depending on whether you mean sow as in to sow seeds or sow as in an adult female pig.

Congratulations on ruining the joke by explaining it.

Originally Posted By: Terafina Obscura
—Alorael, who pronounces drow "drough" most of the time.

Droff?

Or you could discuss books with drow in them with real people. Or, say, Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. Actually, don't those games have voice actors who have to pronounce the word?

—Alorael, who upon further reflection is rather surprised that R. A. Salvatore's book haven't gone movie. They seem like a perfect fit.

Try your friendly local game shop. Some of them have tables for players to get together and game.

When I was in Tucson, Arizona, we rented space in a building and gamed there so we wouldn't trash our own homes. We just chipped in a few dollars every session for rent.

Actually we did clean up after the game, but 6 to 8 gamers do generate plenty of junk food trash. Someone even had a table built with hexagonal game maps on the surface and places to stick your dice.