Thoughts about Avernum 6?

Xaiya

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the idea of garhzad in crystal soul is good. u can get many ideas from that one.

some vanhatai (that never liked humans) bring back garhzad in crystal soul (and mad for revenge) this time it could be a full out war agaisnt the human race, a full legion of demons from the void wich seek food and kingdoom (this would make avernum and empire to set diferences asside and work together).

when i say human race it doesnt mean slith and nephilim cant join us. also many of the demon army could have corrupted/possessed sliths and nephils (some demons can only enter this word by possessing), demon worshipers wich seek imortality,etc...

storyline:

garhzad uses his old influence to struck a deal with the demon lord to attack the human world.

half of avernum is quaked, and many continents destroyed by floods/vulcano/hurricanes/"all-the-badass-demon-nature-destruction-spells.

the party could start as a refugee help team that quickly turns into a rescue team trying to kill the vulcano's demon wich had (lets say) the mayors daughter hostage. by killing him u could find some evidence of the demon conspiration against human kind.

after reporting to ur superior u are quickly sent to the castle (of the empire) wich is under siege and keep the royal family inside. after saving the day and reporting about the conspiracy u are sent by the emperor himself (yeah royal clearence ftw :p) to seek help of and inform avernum (wich is also under attack by the demon army) about the recent events.

the avernum's king faced with this replies that avernum is also under attack and cant spare forces wich will lead (yes u know it) to the help-me-and-i-help-u quests. slay the demon cult or cleanse the possessed people wich is attacking avernum.

after this done, avernum sents some of his army to the surface to help the assault at the demons fortress (wich could be something like in exile2 when u attack the ziggurat, lots of nps fighting BUT that cant survive if u just stare at the fight). finding evidence of the demon worlds portal (yes portal im sure every1 liked the chain quests to get all things to shut the portal in E2.

once the demons are defeated at the surface its time to shutdown the portal from the demon world->deep down the vanhatai lands, wich can only be closed from the other side.

sent alone to the demon world and after the "self destruct" cowntdown has started u rush to try to get back before its to late to return.

this will end with a face to face fight with garhzad.

the end story is that u make it to the portal, return home and it implode (yes implode not explode, avernum is already to damaged :p). its time to rebuild avernum and the empire wich is the best time for conspiracys to take place, but that would be for another game.

sorry if it turned into a big post tongue

time to poke some holes in that post:

1. garzahd is a human, thus a bad candidate for a crystal soul

2. the vahnahtai hated garzahd, so they wouldn't team up with him

3. garzahd already has a cameo in avernum 4 where he...well, how can i put this without a spoiler? he got what he deserved and cried about it.

I think the Dorikas ending will be used, and we start once again as poor avernites. Somewhere along the way we find a passage to the Northern Frontier, then we sneak all the way to Blackchasm Outpost and escape on the surface to finally end the last ancient empire reign.

He's repeating what someone else said word for word. That is because he is a spambot.

—Alorael, who would like to reiterate for everyone's benefit (no, this is not pointed at anyone) that responding to spam or even suspected spam by talking about spam is unhelpful. The mods will deal with it. Please don't contribute to the clutter of garbage posts.

He's repeating what someone else said word for word. That is because he is a spambot.

—Alorael, who would like to reiterate for everyone's benefit (no, this is not pointed at anyone) that responding to spam or even suspected spam by talking about spam is unhelpful. The mods will deal with it. Please don't contribute to the clutter of garbage posts.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff

What I said!

Uh.

—Alorael, who supposes he can't complain that his signature is being stolen. He's not even being quoted without attribution, as even without the technicalities observed it's quite clear who's saying what. He'll grumble anyway.

Click to reveal..
it's a joke you oaf

how can you not get it

Meh, all I want are more useful and fun spells, and actually starting out as someone with power, and being reduced to something. Kind of like in Geneforge 5, but here you start being an absolute beast oneshotting everything that you came across for a zone, then a demon like in Avernum one notices your power, teleports to you and takes over your mind and leaves you stareing in blind rage at him until you pass out into a coma. You gradually regain your powers, after killing a main boss of a quest line, until you reach engame when the forces of the Empire, Avernum, and them one aliens from Avernum two unite to fight back the demon, you at the head of the army commanding them, through various dialog nodes which are scripted to send troops to do things, until it becomes clear the demons going to prevail, and when he begins to taunt you, and almost kills you, you attain a state of mental clarity and relearn your greatest secret, leaching the life forces of your surroundings, you slowly rise from your crouching position the demon had you in, you attain your full height, are fully released from the Demon's bonds, and extend your awareness to the entire armies of the demon's, Avernum's, Empire's, and the Vahantai armies, and launch a lance of pure concentrated raw energy at the Demon, causing his magical protection to wither and die, and engage him in a 1vs1 duel with blade and magic. Of course, the part leading up the duel is an ingame cinematic while the duel is an actual fight.

Edit: Oh wow, run on sentence much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my first post.

I only had a few minor issues with A5.. played all the exile games havent played a1-4.

1. no light spell - picking up those lamps etc just wasted my space.

im one of those players who hords and hords.

2. No group summon spell - it was fun in exile when you could crowd the room with monsters. Only two at a time in A5 + control foe, and crystal souls where good in E3, if a little defeating when you captured a vanhati master.

3. I still think that pole users and anama groups are still too disadvantaged.

4. Was weary of usings area effect spells too much and found myself using firebolt and smite a lot.

All that said, a great game.

What i would like to see, is the possibility of playing with a vanhati, and having alien spells unique to the character.

1. You really just don't need to provide light. Ever. Sure, it makes things less miserably dark, but the main benefit, finding switches, can be provided by hitting 'u' every now and then.

2. This is good for balance.

3. Anama is supposed to be a challenge option. It isn't balanced by design. Polearms are better in A5, or at least solidly good. In A6 with dual wielding? We'll see how everything balances.

4. This seems like a problem you solved yourself.

—Alorael, who finds the complaints about area of effect ironic after all the howls of outrage when Avernum first got rid of fireballs.

Originally Posted By: Dark.Fenix
the light spells were very usefull in exile because we had plenty of mana to go around by resting after fight(just reach formello and stock urself with plenty of cheap food) isntead of having to leave what ur doing and run back to town. very usefull when behind enemy lines.

yeah and wait 40 turns too.

unless the cloud of blades or stinking cloud (or am i thinking of nethack?) spells make a come back, none of the area spells damage allies. there really isn't any downside to area spells, other than using up more mp than the non-area spells, but most of the time they're stronger so it still makes sense anyway.

Is there any chance of us getting Exile4 instead? I like the Exile series a lot more:

1. The top-down view seems more clear/better to me.(it feels more intuitive to use the arrow keys to control the movements)

2. Regenerate hp/mp overtime(and resting), so you don't have to revisit towns so often. (and you have to pay to sleep to restore hp/mp, making INN more usefull)

3. Monster's that are too weak flees automatically when players are too strong for them. (no boring, time consuming trash monster fights)

4. No summon limits. Summons might break the game but hell it was so FUN, having fun is the main point of gaming, right?

5. More interesting spells. Like barrier or lava font...they're wierd spells but still fun to play with.

and some changes I'd like to see:

1. Custom character portrait. (the built-in arts are boring)

2. Make battle deciplines more unique. (not just "bless+ protection...etc. and have more unique attack skills for the warriors and archers.)

3. Give the "Fatigue" word a color, or change it to a bar so it's easier to see which player is fatigued.

No, there's no chance. Even Spiderweb has to advance with the times so that it can have a small customer base rather than a miniscule one.

1. Opinion, really, but you can use arrows to move in Avernum 4+, can't you? You can certainly use the keypad.

2. Or you can invest in First Aid.

3. Jeff has done a pretty good job of cutting out the junk combat. A lot of that comes from making the games more linear, but you still will very rarely fight terribly puny foes.

4. Balance is fun too. Yes, I know some people delight in breaking games, but even they wouldn't want Jeff to make it easy for them.

5. No argument here. Exile had a better selection of spells to play with. (Possibly see balance comments above, though.)

—Alorael, who believes that Jeff has commented on this on his blog. He can't please the purists; every change is going to upset someone. Instead, he just changes things and hopes for the best from newcomers to the series and forgiveness from the old-timers.

I honestly liked A4. I would say it takes some of the biggest steps forward of all the Avernums. A1-A3 were difficult for me to really get into. The graphics were kinda off. I kept losing my PCs in the background. It was almost like camo. With A4, the dudes stand out, the combat and items were balanced out and smoothed over. A5 took the feathers from A4 and eliminated the weight capacity for carrying inventory and eliminated the need to save 5 AP just to attack. The item crafters kicked major... they made it worthwhile to gather every last ingredient and reagent. I am going out on a limb, but it sounds like A6 will be the final polished gem, with maybe am origins game as the proverbial cherry on top. If I could have it my way, I would love to have A1-A3 redone using the newest game engine, but that seems a bit less than prudent for an indie game producer. Rock on Spiderweb. YOu caught me young, and I can't escape.

He'll probably do it eventually, but his next efforts will actually be a new series. It's about time.

—Alorael, who thinks Jeff has had very good luck with new series. Exile/Avernum 1 is quite excellent; though not the best of the series, it's a necessary springboard. Geneforge 1 has a rough engine but perhaps the best plot. Nethergate is just beautiful.