Spiderweb's the entire Humble Indie Bundle this week

Sudanna

Just got everything from the sale, but it seems the original avernum trilogy doesn't work on newer Macs? I saw a couple posts about the games being updated to run on newer Macs, and if you get an error, you likely have an older version of the files. Is that the case here, or am I boned when it comes to running these on Mac?

The works for four bucks, on average? That is an amazing thing.

—Alorael, who's always fascinated by the disparity in payments by OS. It's always the same pattern.

I suspect that the mean reflects the proportion of enthusiasts more than the price most people are paying.

There are a few high-paying contributors and a ton of people paying minimum price. It seems likely that the former are particularly fond of this kind of distribution model, where Linux would be over-represented, while the low-paying ones are more representative of actual OS usage.

(It could even be some artifact caused by sampling size, where the high-paying outliers skew smaller platforms more strongly, but I don't have the statistics-fu to back that up.)

It'd be interesting to see some histograms or distributions.

I suspect that the mean reflects the proportion of enthusiasts more than the price most people are paying.

There are a few high-paying contributors and a ton of people paying minimum price. It seems likely that the former are particularly fond of this kind of distribution model, where Linux would be over-represented, while the low-paying ones are more representative of actual OS usage.

(It could even be some artifact caused by sampling size, where the high-paying outliers skew smaller platforms more strongly, but I don't have the statistics-fu to back that up.)

It'd be interesting to see some histograms or distributions.

I've seen data on similar pay-what-you-want sales, and your suspicions are correct: most people pay a dollar or less, and most of the people who don't pay a dollar pay $5 or less. There's a small fraction of people who pay a lot.

Hello, i purchased that humble bundle and now im a bit confused about the order to play them trough. I would naturally like to start with the oldest game and play trough the whole saga. Can i use this link http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html and start from bottom to get the right order ?

That list matches the release order pretty closely, though it groups by series. If you wanted to go strictly by release date, you'd be alternating between the Geneforge and the first Avernum trilogy a bit, but since they're entirely separate stories I don't see how that matters. Avernum 1-6 and EftP, Geneforge 1-5, and Avadon don't share a setting.

If you're going for the gradual evolution of the game engine rather than just the story, then that list is a really great idea to follow.

Hello, i purchased that humble bundle and now im a bit confused about the order to play them trough. I would naturally like to start with the oldest game and play trough the whole saga. Can i use this link http://www.spiderweb...m/products.html and start from bottom to get the right order ?

In a way. There's about four different settings in there. Nethergate is a stand-alone campaign, you can play it whenever. Avadon is part of a setting, but none of the other games in the Avadon series have been released yet. I'd save it for last. Geneforge 1-5 is a complete series, and quite fun with some interesting themes. Avernum 1-6 is a separate series. Blades of Avernum is a standalone WITHIN the Avernum Saga, which can be played at almost any time... the idea for it was a game where others could make their own campaigns and scenarios. Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a remake/modernization/update of Avernum 1, so it's your choice which you wish to play first.

That pretty much sums up everything.

Great idea, though the way this bundle is selling within just the first 24 hours, he could buy out a small pizzeria. :p

Just looked - WOW that's some impressive money for a sale that's lasted two days for stuff that includes products over a decade old. Grant, the money is potentially split five ways (SW, HB, the charities, and taxes), but it's still impressive.

It's the oldest series for sale in the bundle. Nethergate isn't really a series.

It's also the oldest series if you consider it the same series as Exile. I do. It's too awkward to say, "A remake of the games of our oldest and most beloved series except the series also continues in non-remakes that are also pretty beloved." But that's the idea.

—Alorael, who notes that it is the oldest series and the newest game. In fact, the newest game is also the oldest plot. If Jeff were really having fun with this he'd start throwing in a few alternate-universe mythology gags.

Just bought the bundle. And now that I have it, I'm starting to think maybe I'll end up eventually doing Let's Plays of the entire Spiderweb catalog. Won't that be fun? After all, i already started with the Geneforge games. :3

I'm not the world's biggest "Lets Play" fan (would much rather play the game myself), but I think even I could get behind a Nethergate LP. :p

Er, so I already have Avadon and N:R on Steam, and I just payed for the bundle again, so I now have lots of keys to be used... that I don't want (since I already own most of these games!)

SO! If you want Steam keys for Avadon, the Second Avernum Trilogy, A:EFtP or Nethergate: Resurrection, PM me. I'll try and get them to somebody within the next 24 hours.

I have a couple questions about this that I hope you guys can help me with before I potentially buy this. One of them may be stupid but just call me stupid after answering it :p

1. I recently bought many bundles via GOG during their sale. Amongst the titles I purchased, there was Geneforge 1-5, Avadon and "Avernum: The Complete Saga." Now the saga says it's comprised of Avernum 1-6 and Blades of Avernum. That has to mean the "Great Trials Trilogy" and the first 3 right? I'm expecting "Yes...stupid." If it's friendlier that's a bonus.

2. With the knowledge above, this means only Nethergate and Avernum: Escape from the Pit will be new. My big interest in potentially buying these again are playing Avernum EFTP and Avadon on Android. Do we get to pick which platform we want these games on title by title or, less likely, do we get copies across all platforms and OSs. It's obviously not a deal breaker if we have to choose one. But the biggest draw is being able to choose. As I've only seen Steam mentioned along with Mac, it looks like no to Android. Please be good tidings.

1. Avernum 1-6 is the same as the two trilogies. Each trilogy uses a different game engine.

2. The previous Humble Bundle that included Avadon: The Black Fortress had an Android version. A third party made the Android and Linux ports. Jeff only made the versions for Mac, iPad, and Windows.

I don't know if you have to pick a platform or get them all.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Figuring out the games can result in sanity loss. :)

Amongst the titles I purchased, there was Geneforge 1-5, Avadon and "Avernum: The Complete Saga." Now the saga says it's comprised of Avernum 1-6 and Blades of Avernum. That has to mean the "Great Trials Trilogy" and the first 3 right? I'm expecting "Yes...stupid." If it's friendlier that's a bonus.

Yep, you've got all the Avernum games already.

2. With the knowledge above, this means only Nethergate and Avernum: Escape from the Pit will be new. My big interest in potentially buying these again are playing Avernum EFTP and Avadon on Android. Do we get to pick which platform we want these games on title by title or, less likely, do we get copies across all platforms and OSs. It's obviously not a deal breaker if we have to choose one. But the biggest draw is being able to choose. As I've only seen Steam mentioned along with Mac, it looks like no to Android. Please be good tidings.

It looks like the Humble Bundle isn't offering Android versions, since it doesn't say anything about them. So the Humble Bundle probably isn't for you. There will be other sales where you can pick up the Android version of Avadon and A:EftP, and Nethergate: Resurrection. In the meantime, the full series of Avernum and Geneforge will keep you plenty busy.

Dikiyoba.