OH GOD! THE PAIN!

Trenton.

T'was terrible! My block is huge. And since I weigh 250+ pounds, I decided I MUST start walking around it for excersize. So I don't know where my shoes are right? I think it'll be fine to walk out there without shoes. MISTAKE. I swear to god, I am still picking pebbles out of my feet. And along with that, I have blisters on my feet, and I feel the need to put my toughest face on and clench my fists when black vans with tinted windows drive by. Which is surprisingly often. I am going to start adding a lap every day. I walked 2 today. I just need to remember my shoes. I can't walk to the kitchen, or bathroom without cursing in pain.

Why would you continue to walk without shoes instead of going inside to look for them? I mean, wasn't it obvious that it was a bad idea once you stepped on a few rocks? But exercise and going outside are generally good things, so don't get discouraged.

There. That's Dikiyoba's useless advice of the day.

OMFG!!! We are the same age, have the same day on the birthday (July 31, 1998), and now the same weight? Maybe I guess you are 6". Anyway, is your FB account the one with the Christmas tree?

----------

Who told you to walk around without shoes for God's sake? Oh yeah, and try excercizing for 30 minutes in a MANUAL treadmill. It's really hard and unfortunately, boring. I already lost 3 kg tongue

----------

-WTH!!!, Nightwatcher

Err...Yeah... Way to go finding and stalking my facebook... Hooray? That picture was from 6 years ago by the way =.= I'm 5' 7-9. I havent checked in a while though. Just proves I need excersize that much more.

I have a treadmill. It broke though. Otherwise I would be on it. Listening to music or reading ofcourse, I can't do nothing for hours on end. Hell, when I walked, I brought my IPOD out with me.

Don't you have sandals or slippers? Oh gawd, blisters on the feet are sooo annoying. Because once, we performed a tribal-like, ceremonial dance thing legacy from early ancestors without shoes on rough stone, with the desert heat and frequently holding the dirty ground for breaktime. And you know what I got? Polycolitis. Blisters on the hands, arms with fever and tonsilitis. Pretty infectious though.

-----------

-I recommend Reebok, Nightwatcher

There's a simple treatment for blisters on feet, which anyone can do in a minute or so, and afterwards you can continue walking safely and painlessly. It is a little gross in places, though, so I've put it in a spoiler. I used to use it a lot every summer when I was in the reserves. Everyone was going suddenly from soft-footed civilian life to long days running around in combat boots, so we always had blisters for the first couple of weeks.

Click to reveal..

1) Disinfect a sewing needle or pin, either with flame or with some kind of antiseptic. If you use flame, let the needle cool.

2) The next step is the only tricky part. You drain the blister of fluid, using the needle, but without piercing the blister itself. Instead, you kind of tunnel the needle up into the blister from below, going through the layer of dead skin around it. Starting just a few millimeters away from the edge of the blister is good enough; there's no need to dig a Channel Tunnel from half-way across your foot. But you do want to make sure you don't pierce the fragile skin of the blister. There's no need to go deep, either; you're basically going sideways, just under the skin. Go slowly in case you accidentally go too deep and jab into live skin, which will hurt. If that happens, just pull out and try again. There's no need to be macho; if you do this right it doesn't hurt at all, because you're poking the needle through dead skin.

3) As soon as the tip of the needle comes through inside the blister, pull it back out, before it touches the blister's outside surface. Now you have a tiny tunnel into the blister.

3) Gently press the blister flat, squeezing the water inside out through the tunnel you made with the needle. Don't press hard, at first; if nothing drains out, you must not have made a good hole, so you need to try that part again. But once the fluid is mostly gone, you can press hard to make sure you get it all out.

4) Tape the now-empty blister down tightly with a band-aid, or even just with tape. Because you didn't damage the blister itself, the raw skin underneath it is not exposed at all. So now that it's taped down tight, you can keep walking and the blister won't hurt or get infected or anything. It will just form a callus, over a few days, and then you won't get blisters on that spot again (unless you stop walking for a few weeks and let your feet soften up again).

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Isn't SoT's blister technique also S.O.P. for zits?

what the hell, who pops pimples with a needle
Same reason you pop blisters with a needle: smaller drainage hole -> less chance of inflammation. I dunno, it just turns out better compared to when I squeeze 'em with my fingers.

Originally Posted By: !Trenton.
I swear to god, I am still picking pebbles out of my feet. And along with that, I have blisters on my feet, and I feel the need to put my toughest face on and clench my fists when black vans with tinted windows drive by.

Perfectly understandable. Blisters heal, but reputation is forever. Who needs such things as "good sense" anyway? tongue

If you squeeze a pimple or blister, you risk damaging the skin underneath and causing (further) infection. For pimples in some areas of your face, the quirks of lymphatic drainage mean you risk encephalitis. It's a low risk, to be sure, but be safe and use that needle.

—Alorael, who happily lances most fluid-filled bubbles of skin with needles from the outside, not laterally through healthy skin. He acknowledges that blisters on feet are something you'd probably want to be more careful about, since you're going to be stepping on them a lot and having intact skin is helpful.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I prefer to walk around barefoot but that isn't feasible with all the goat heads around and the fact that I have a gravel driveway.

I also prefer to walk barefoot. The more one does it, the easier it is to do; gravel doesn't bother me at all. Goat heads are the devil, but I can still tolerate them. Really, I find it more annoying how the puncture my bike tires and flatten them. Furthermore, perhaps just for the speed of it, I find biking to be a far more entertaining form of exercise than walking. Thus, my true problem with goat heads.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Goat heads are evil, evil little weeds.
I'm so glad you mentioned they were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. tongue
I thought of that too. Then I thought it might be a typo, and was supposed to be "goat herds"; if so, then walking barefoot would be a bad idea for, well, other reasons.

I have liners in my bike tires that work extremely well. I haven't had a flat tire in two years and I ride quite a few trails.

It never occurred to me that "goat head" was an odd name for a weed. I got a good laugh out of Tyranicus' post.

Isn't that just another name for thistle?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I have liners in my bike tires that work extremely well. I haven't had a flat tire in two years and I ride quite a few trails.

It never occurred to me that "goat head" was an odd name for a weed. I got a good laugh out of Tyranicus' post.

Isn't that just another name for thistle?

Nope