You know what is irritating

keira

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Was that really it? You made it sound like a lot more. Anyway, Macs have been "hiding" a few files for years, too. I know System 7 did it, and I'm pretty sure System 6 did as well.

Hmph, I guess I'm just a grumpy old man. Looking logically at complaints has been my downfall since, well, always.

I think part of the issue I took with 10.7 was that it feels like more any more of the utilities (Launch Pad, I'm looking at you!) feel more like iOS that a traditional computer setup. I prefer a clear line between mobile and desktop computing. That said, after the initial changing over, I've found Lion to be pretty good, except for the whole "no external boot agent. If you hard drive gets messed up, you have to take it to the store to get it fixed."

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Homage
also imma just link this. Too bad SSDs are crazy expensive still

what's a pindex and why is it having sex with a window

Lilith, you are such a temptress.

On another note, the only name brand computer I ever owned was a Radio Shack TRS-80. After that I have always preferred to "build my own". On the plus side, I have more control over what bloatware gets installed on the box. On the minus side, I have total responsibility to fix it should I break it.

Se la vie.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
On another note, the only name brand computer I ever owned was a Radio Shack TRS-80. After that I have always preferred to "build my own". On the plus side, I have more control over what bloatware gets installed on the box. On the minus side, I have total responsibility to fix it should I break it.

I've had friends who did the "build their own" option, but I've never gone down that route myself. How exactly does one even go about building the computer, and how does that give the owner control over what gets installed?

This is obviously open to anyone.

Quote:
Se la vie.

It's cool that you're using such a good French expression. It's actually spelled "c'est la vie" though... In any given French word, approximately half the letters are silent, which makes writing the spoken word hard, and speaking the written word equally as hard.

Instead of a ready assembled system from a company, you buy a box, motherboard with the CPU and memory, additional memory, drives, and all the other parts either from a store, online, or by mail. You pick out what you want from different companies so it will do what you want.

Then you get the job of inserting the pieces together and attaching cables. Since they are all snap connections there is no soldering involved anymore and maybe some screwing in of bolts to hold the drives in place. Once it's all assembled you load the operating system in and the other software.

You can get instructions or a book to show you how and it will take a few hours the first time. Loading software will take longer than hardware assembly.

@Goldenking --

Smack!! I know better. Thanks for the face-palm.

As to the grow my own PC, I got that way because I abhorred what COMPAQ did to the OS, plunking in stuff that I did not need. That was back in the days of low capacity, slow speed disk drives (at least compared to today). One kilobyte was expensive stuff. Now that we've passed megabytes and gigabytes, and terabytes is becoming more the norm, the land of petabytes looms near. (And before you say it, Lilith, bytes are like cats. You have to know how to pet them or they will byte.)

Edit:Bad rabbit!

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
So you can't boot off CDs? That's stupid. Surely you could boot off another hard drive, though...?
Lion does not come on a disc. You can purchase a USB installer or make your own with a thumb drive and the downloadable installer.

Apple is reportedly not going to release a thumb drive for any future OSs, including 10.8. Any formatting of the hard drive would require an internet connection and contact with the App Store. This is only really a problem if you have to completely replace your hard drive, as you will no longer have a recovery partition through which you can download the OS. So anyone not living near an Apple store would be greatly inconvenienced.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
So you can't boot off CDs? That's stupid. Surely you could boot off another hard drive, though...?
Lion does not come on a disc. You can purchase a USB installer or make your own with a thumb drive and the downloadable installer.

Apple is reportedly not going to release a thumb drive for any future OSs, including 10.8. Any formatting of the hard drive would require an internet connection and contact with the App Store. This is only really a problem if you have to completely replace your hard drive, as you will no longer have a recovery partition through which you can download the OS. So anyone not living near an Apple store would be greatly inconvenienced.
You can still make your own bootable thumb drive for Mountain Lion. That's how I've been installing the various developer previews.

Originally Posted By: Homage
Seriously, I don't want anyone else looking through my Important Financial Documents.
That's why I don't use real names on my computer, and account numbers are nonexistent. Unless you know me very, very well, it's almost impossible to hack into my financial life.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
I've had friends who did the "build their own" option, but I've never gone down that route myself. How exactly does one even go about building the computer, and how does that give the owner control over what gets installed?
How to build a computer: What Randomizer said. In addition, to save many potential headaches, you'll want to do some homework before buying to make sure that the CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, and motherboard are all mutually compatible. Everything else is pretty much interchangeable.

How it gives you control: You decide exactly what hardware and software goes into your computer. This means there's no bloatware to uninstall, and you have a better chance of future-proofing your system for longer than a year.

You know, if we're going to throw around numbers about how good our computer is, perhaps we could throw around numbers that mac users could compare to?

I'm running an Intel i5 @ 4.4GHz, have 16GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a graphics card with 1GB of onboard memory.

As far as the Mac OS goes, I was planning on not updating to 10.8. It seems to be trying to simplify using computers, which I can understand their strategy (easier to use, more people can, and probably will, use it), but it leaves no options for users who don't want their computer simplified.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
That's why I don't use real names on my computer, and account numbers are nonexistent. Unless you know me very, very well, it's almost impossible to hack into my financial life.

Okay, just saying, you are probably much less secure than you think. Most people who will get access to your bank account by illicit means will either persuade you to give you access somehow, or simply root around in your trash for bank statements you've tossed. We've already reached the point where security on computers is so good that it's easier to hack people than to hack computers, so people aren't going to be doing super complex hacking to get access to your money when there are easier ways to get it through you instead.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Most people who will get access to your bank account by illicit means will either persuade you to give you access somehow, or simply root around in your trash for bank statements you've tossed.

Healthy sense of skepticism FTW!

Paper shredder FTW!

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
I'm running an Intel i5 @ 4.4GHz, have 16GB of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a graphics card with 1GB of onboard memory.

...Makes my laptop (an HP Pavilion g6 with Windows 7, an Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13 GHz, 3 GB of RAM, ~250 GB of memory, and a graphics card bad enough to create lag on Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2) look like an old XP tongue

Post #XII of the challenge

Why do you have so much power on your machine? My MBP has Intel i7 2.2GHz quad, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB built in, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB discrete. I've never had issues with speed except when running enormous amounts of flash.

Why do you have so much power on your machine? My MBP has Intel i7 2.2GHz quad, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB built in, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB discrete. I've never had issues with speed except when running enormous amounts of flash.
Mostly because I can. I really only notice greater speed when I'm doing computational intensive stuff, like playing a 8 player (7 AI) game of civilization 5.

Mostly because I can. I really only notice greater speed when I'm doing computational intensive stuff, like playing a 8 player (7 AI) game of civilization 5.
I'm fairly certain even a supercomputer would have issues with Civ 5. It can lag pretty atrociously towards the end of the game on my 3.1GHz i7.

The problem is the fact that CiV was installed on your computer. Even vanilla Civ4 is better, and better yet the Beyond the Sword expansion. Also, BtS runs with minimum lag on my laptop, which has half the power of your PC.

Poost #XII of the challenge

I've played Wesnoth on and off. I think it's a good game, but I have trouble with the fact that you can make a campaign impossible, or close to it, by playing earlier levels poorly. It's a design preference issue.

—Alorael, who just realized that now that he has Lion he needs a new way to run Alpha Centauri right now. Well, he also needs to recover Alpha Centauri from his busted hard disk.

Ditto what Alorael said. I also have a problem with the fact that how you play early levels has such a gross impact on your resources for later levels -- to a much greater degree even than is present in a nice nonlinear RPG.

Speaking of which, I'm playing through Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers at the moment. It's pretty much the best thing ever, or at least it would be if I didn't have to run it via Basilisk. The game offers so much tactical variety and is so well-balanced... I'm having a blast contemplating the advantages and disadvantages of the different classes at different points in the game. Also, who wants to play with bland ol' fighter and sorceress classes when instead you get whirling dervishes, sufi ascetics, djinniyahs and elephants?

Ditto what Alorael said. I also have a problem with the fact that how you play early levels has such a gross impact on your resources for later levels -- to a much greater degree even than is present in a nice nonlinear RPG.

Speaking of which, I'm playing through Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers at the moment. It's pretty much the best thing ever, or at least it would be if I didn't have to run it via Basilisk. The game offers so much tactical variety and is so well-balanced... I'm having a blast contemplating the advantages and disadvantages of the different classes at different points in the game. Also, who wants to play with bland ol' fighter and sorceress classes when instead you get whirling dervishes, sufi ascetics, djinniyahs and elephants?

i tried to run jewel of arabia in basilisk ii once but all the dialogue boxes were completely messed up to the point of making the game unplayable. got any tips on OS/extensions/configuration?

Dialogue boxes? What dialogue boxes? The game literally doesn't use any... maybe there's one when the application opens, asking you to register?

If you mean the general display, that stuff is partly stored as PICT resources in resource forks, and partly as data resources. Check to make sure the resource forks are intact?

I have Basilisk using 7.5.5, although as recently as 2008 I ran JoA natively under Classic Environment, which I think emulated OS 9? The only notable extensions are QuickTime and Sound Manager. (You need QT Musical Instruments for the music files to play, but I haven't bothered with that. The intro music is burned into my head from playing it so many times, anyway.)

I currently have Basilisk set up to boot off one image with just the system software, and have it load another hard drive image containing JoA (or whatever I'm using). I don't think that's necessary, though -- I just did that for convenience because my disk images get corrupted sometimes when I open them in OS X.

Also I'm running v1.6 of the game, I know I've seen earlier versions (especially 1.4) floating around. Cairo Jim: You can STILL find the game at its original website, Quarter Note Software.

I specifically had problems with the character creation screen: all of the fonts and graphics on it were messed up in various ways, and the game crashed when I tried to select any options.

I can't set Basilisk II to use 256 colours, either; the only option available in the Monitors control panel (within the virtual machine) is millions of colours.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
I specifically had problems with the character creation screen: all of the fonts and graphics on it were messed up in various ways, and the game crashed when I tried to select any options.

I can't set Basilisk II to use 256 colours, either; the only option available in the Monitors control panel (within the virtual machine) is millions of colours.

Yeah, sounds like a display issue -- the crash on selecting an option is probably due to whatever graphics routine is used to make the buttons look depressed. (Heh.)

I'm willing to bet the issue is that you need to run it under 256 colours, as was so common for Mac games back in the day. I can think of three things to try:

1) Again, could be an issue with flattened resource forks, so use ResEdit (or ResFool on your regular system) to make sure the PICT resources are in the application and data files.
2) Check your Basilisk settings, there are some related to the monitor. I think this is the easiest to fix and also most likely problem, although it might involve some twiddling.
3) If that doesn't work, try using an earlier version of Classic -- I know at some point they removed some of the Monitors control panel options.
4) Finally, this seems unlikely, but maybe you need to set your own computer's Display panel to show the "weird" monitor settings. I say this because I noticed mine does have 256 colors options listed, and I know I went in and added those at some point years ago -- maybe this was why. I don't _use_ them, but maybe they need to be there in your real system for the emulated system to think they are options?

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Many people who are used to Membrane Keyboards will press the keys down too far on a Mechanical Keyswitch, 'bottoming out' on every keystroke, resulting in a loud clack in addition to the light click of the keyswitch which is generated half-way through the key travel distance. Once a user learns to not press the keys completely down with every keystroke, the level of noise generated when typing on a mechanical keyswitch keyboard is substantially reduced.

Maybe the clicky clicky isn't such a good thing...