You know what is irritating

keira

I absolutely hate buying things online. Plain and simple, it's a pain in the ass. I saved all the crap I've gotten from graduating and all the money from my job and put it in the bank.

So I go to newegg and dink around there and get everything i had looked at in the shopping cart. Apply the promo codes they have, put in a gift card I got, etc. Then I have to enter address crap, and dear sweet god help me, cuz my bank sends crap to a PO box and they don't ship to PO boxes. Here, let me deal with adding a separate shipping address. That would seem to be something very simple to do. Oh wait, I'm on the damn Internet. Oh, Newegg, take me to Paypal. Aww, paypal doesn't let me add an address that is "unconfirmed". Let me try the thing in Newegg. Then back to paypal, oh dearie me it still won't take the shipping address. Well gosh why not just skip paypal and just put in my debit card on newegg. Oh wait, that had better be the exact same as on my bank! But hey it lets me use the shipping address, yay.

Do the checkout. Newegg takes me to some random visa card authentication thing. New password between 8 and 10 characters? Are you kidding me? Oh, and with a number? Always a relief to know that my passwords are too secure for the giantass credit card company to handle. Make up a password that I will almost certainly forget. Hopefully firefox will remember. Oh hey, this is the fourth time I've entered the security code on the back.

Go back to checking out. Oh hey, the gift card got taken off at some point. Back to square one to re-add it. Yes, I am aware that you don't ship to PO boxes. Yes. Yes. Shut up and take my damn money.

Yay! It took it! Order is processing. Phone rings. Robot voice from bank says that someone spent $1000 on my card. Gee, I just did that. It's okay, bank, that's not fraud. Suddenly, email from newegg. Bank denied payment. Order on hold.

I give up. This is retarded. Why the hell is online purchasing such a pain in the ass. I get that there's identity theft and stuff, but this is ridiculous. I just spent the last hour of my life trying to give them money. I still have not given them money. I could just fill out an order form, write a check, throw them in an envelope. Mail it. I'm done. Product arrives. Yay. But no, this is the 21st century. That is not how it works in the 21st century.

I'm going to try again tomorrow, when I feel less desire to travel to Newegg/Paypal/Bank and commit several felonies.

I've never tried to purchase stuff online before, but booking a movie/railway ticket is relatively simpler, once I complete the one-time authentication to prove that I really am that guy who claims to be me 122.gif

I had my eye on a nice T-shirt in inkfruit.com, but they are asking for Paisapal payments. Hmm.

Yeah, a tip for anyone with a credit card: banks (and credit unions) are becoming more and more vigilant about fraud and identity theft. If you're going to make an unusually large payment, it might be worth it to talk to your bank first. The other time you should contact your bank is if you're going out of the country, so they don't freeze your account once all these payments from foreign countries start showing up.

I spent some time last night trying to buy a DVD online only to have the order rejected because the website had an error so I couldn't enter payment information. So I started over at a different site after hours of price comparisons and deciding I didn't trust shipping from a China company that might not be legitimate.

This morning I get woken up by my bank's automated fraud protection system to verify that purchase and another from a ISP that I had been using for over a year. Their system couldn't check with the previous month's bill. *sigh*

This is why I prefer buying things face to face where I can vent my frustration to a real human.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Yeah, a tip for anyone with a credit card: banks (and credit unions) are becoming more and more vigilant about fraud and identity theft. If you're going to make an unusually large payment, it might be worth it to talk to your bank first. The other time you should contact your bank is if you're going out of the country, so they don't freeze your account once all these payments from foreign countries start showing up.

Banks are on the lookout for unusually small payments, too: it's common for someone who's stolen a card to try and buy something like a pack of gum at a convenience store just to make sure it works.

I've bought quite a few things online over the past year or so, and the number of problems has been, fortunately, precisely nil. I'm also a bit paranoid with my card number, so I asked my bank to change it about a month ago.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
i bank with a credit union and have pretty much never had any problems
Same here, and the account is almost as old as I am. Fortunately for me, all my issues, except for maybe one, turned out to be an error on my part.

Originally Posted By: Homage
Yay! It took it! Order is processing. Phone rings. Robot voice from bank says that someone spent $1000 on my card. Gee, I just did that. It's okay, bank, that's not fraud. Suddenly, email from newegg. Bank denied payment. Order on hold.

Would you rather the bank just let an online transaction go without question? It happens to me all the time when buying something from online, especially if I haven't bought something online in the last 3 months. I would rather have them delay my order and make sure I placed it then find out later that my CC was used online by someone other then me. Is it a hassle? Yes. Is it a hassle that makes sure you are spending your money. Yes. Better the hassle than someone else using your CC.

My bank once boasted in its ads how safe you were because of its picture id cards being required to cash checks. Then I watched a senior citizen complaining to bank manager that a young man was cashing checks all over town on his elderly wife's account. I left before hearing whether the bank was going to reimburse the account for all the fraudulent checks and their costs in dealing with the bank's lax work in protecting against fraud.

It's also because most of the time, purchased made on a debit card aren't evaluated against the balance of the account, but on some hidden limit in the card itself. For instance, I'm pretty sure that I have a "credit limit" or whatever it's called of around $15,000 on my debit card, even though I have more than that in my account. Of course, if you need to charge more than $15k, you are probably either a.) rich enough to have an Amex that lets you do that stuff, or b.) using a check.

Another trip up is location. I've had my credit card frozen before on vacation, because suddenly these charges are appearing a thousand miles away from where I live, which is why it's a good idea to tell you bank or credit union where you're going and that they shouldn't cancel your card.

Edit Reason: Now with my luck the UPS truck that will carry my crap will probably explode or something.
I highly doubt it.

Be thankful you don't have my luck. I once ordered some Norton software directly from their site; the package was shipped to Missouri, Minnesota, Maine, and Montana before finally arriving at my door in Michigan--almost a month after its scheduled arrival date.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I've received packages at my doorstep that belong a street over and I live next to a street sign. Never doubt GPS navigation as it sends you into a river. smile
In my neighborhood, there are two houses with identical street numbers (they're on different streets, fortunately); I live in one of them. Every now and again, we get each other's mail.

As for GPS, I never had one, and don't want one. I don't trust them, especially since the time my friend's GPS him to the end of a dead-end street, recalculated the route, and told him to drive down a nearby boat ramp and into a lake.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
In my neighborhood, there are two houses with identical street numbers (they're on different streets, fortunately); I live in one of them. Every now and again, we get each other's mail.
I would imagine a lot of neighbourhoods have a lot of houses with the same numbers. tongue

@Homage - Now you find you are missing a cable or it doesn't work. smile
Close, actually. I didn't get an optical drive because I had three. Completely forgot that new motherboards don't have IDE ribbon cable things. Whoops. But I had an external USB dvd-drive laying around and yay it can boot.

Now I'm dealing with driver hell because I got an OEM copy of Win7. It's still better than removing all the crap manufacturers put on new machines smile

8-core bulldozer CPU, GTX 570, 32 GiB RAM, 2 TiB HDD, 80 plus gold PSU. I will post my laughable attempt at cable management shortly.
Nice pile of goodies you got there, and good luck with the build. Don't fret over what your cable management may or may not look like when you're done; you can always rearrange it later. I did a build back in October 2010, and have since added to it; before fixing it, my cable management could be best described as a near-atrocity.

My Mac Mini and monitor didn't have a compatible cable in either box. So it was back to the store because the packages didn't mention it when I got them.
And computers are supposed to make our lives easier... tongue

But yeah, I can sympathize. I hope it was just a quick trip. When I need any cable that's not one of the standard in-box varieties, it means driving 30 minutes one way, finding the part I need, and another 30 minutes to drive home.

I didn't get an optical drive because I had three. Completely forgot that new motherboards don't have IDE ribbon cable things. Whoops. But I had an external USB dvd-drive laying around and yay it can boot.
Then I guess I must've gotten one of the last motherboards that has an IDE slot--and that slot sits empty. This is a good thing, because IMHO the IDE's master/slave architecture was needlessly complicated. If you want to use your IDE drives, you still can; you just need to buy IDE-to-SATA adapter cables (both for data transfer and, depending on your power supply, power).

Now I'm dealing with driver hell because I got an OEM copy of Win7. It's still better than removing all the crap manufacturers put on new machines smile
Yeah, installing all those driver CDs can be a pain. It's a bit of a tradeoff: Do you want to spend an hour or two installing drivers, or removing 10GB of bloat and crapware? Considering that the OEM license doesn't necessarily die with the computer (I'd have to re-read it to be sure), I'll wrestle with the drivers any day.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Yeah, installing all those driver CDs can be a pain. It's a bit of a tradeoff: Do you want to spend an hour or two installing drivers, or removing 10GB of bloat and crapware? Considering that the OEM license doesn't necessarily die with the computer (I'd have to re-read it to be sure), I'll wrestle with the drivers any day.
Same. It's so nice to just have a clean install. Windows without crap on it actually is kinda fast. Of course, that could also be the ludicrous amounts of ram and processor power.

Speaking of, I DLed boinc and got it set up, with eight cores and the GPU it's taking five minutes to run a DDM workunit.

also imma just link this. Too bad SSDs are crazy expensive still

@Homage - Now you find you are missing a cable or it doesn't work. smile
Close, actually. I didn't get an optical drive because I had three. Completely forgot that new motherboards don't have IDE ribbon cable things. Whoops. But I had an external USB dvd-drive laying around and yay it can boot.

Haha, when i built my computer a couple months ago I forgot that too, at first. Luckily I remembered in time to order an optical drive, only to forget to buy a VGA cable when I got my new monitor a couple weeks later. tongue

Also, I was pretty lucky with drivers - my motherboard came with a DVD that included drivers for everything but my graphics card. The real pain was setting it up to dual boot Lion.

It's so nice to just have a clean install. Windows without crap on it actually is kinda fast. Of course, that could also be the ludicrous amounts of ram and processor power.
Yes, clean installs are wonderful; plus, I've found that an OEM-license OS is usually a little bit cheaper than one with a standard license. As for speed, yeah, you went a little overboard, so your system will run a bit faster, although Win7 is pretty fast to begin with; and you can make it a little quicker still by disabling a lot of the "make my system look pretty" features (mostly Aero).

also imma just link this.
Nice.Here's what I have:
Click to reveal..
my desktop:
Processor: 7.4
RAM: 5.9
Graphics: 4.6
Gaming graphics: 5.5
Primary hard disk: 5.9

my laptop:
Processor: 4.2
RAM: 4.4
Graphics: 2.5
Gaming graphics: 3.1
Primary hard disk: 3.9
Not exactly on par with your system, but they meet my needs. The laptop could use something of an upgrade, but it's already maxed out.

Too bad SSDs are crazy expensive still
That's the main reason I don't have one yet. I'm waiting for the price to go down, preferably to just a bit more than that of a standard hard drive.

Originally Posted By: SereNikki
The real pain was setting it up to dual boot Lion.

Why Lion? Yeah, it's got a bunch of cool new features, but it also cuts down on the ability of the user to do stuff other than what Apple intended. I've gotten used to it now, but when I first got it, I would have preferred to downgrade to Snow Leopard.

Originally Posted By: Master1
For starters, [user]/library is hidden by default. Really, though, I suppose it's not that bad. I think my bigger issue was not being able to downgrade the OS if I chose.
It's hidden, but its easy to access for anyone who actually wants to do anything in the library. At the end of the day, the average Mac user neither knows nor cares about the library. Windows has been hiding system files for years.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
So it was back to the store because the packages didn't mention it when I got them.

Thats like the story of my life whenever I buy anything electronic. I'd imagine the same for many, many others.

For me, almost all electronics have what they need, it's the games that screw up the electronics (Black Ops to name one).

Post #IV of the challenge

Was that really it? You made it sound like a lot more. Anyway, Macs have been "hiding" a few files for years, too. I know System 7 did it, and I'm pretty sure System 6 did as well.

But Tyranicus has the key point here. Also, on previous Mac systems it was easy to turn the "invisible" flag off, so even for developers who want regular access to that stuff, it's a non-issue.

Yeah, to be fair, I use Windows usually, and considering all I use OSX for (recently, anyway) is playing SW games, Lion works just fine.

My intention was, at some point over the summer, to migrate everything across to OSX completely, but it just hasn't happened. I think I'm kind of okay with that. tongue

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Was that really it? You made it sound like a lot more. Anyway, Macs have been "hiding" a few files for years, too. I know System 7 did it, and I'm pretty sure System 6 did as well.
Well, I was still a computing newbie during Win95's heyday, and I didn't play around with it too much, except for what I absolutely had to do for class. Windows 3.1 might have hidden files, but I never really saw anything of it beyond a few games, mainly Solitaire and Minesweeper.

And you might as well say decades, since Win95 came out in, well, 1995, so almost 20 years ago now.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
But Tyranicus has the key point here. Also, on previous Mac systems it was easy to turn the "invisible" flag off, so even for developers who want regular access to that stuff, it's a non-issue.
Same is true for us Windows users. And I wasn't disagreeing with Tyranicus; quite the opposite, in fact. If you want to show hidden files, it's easy to do.