Imagine this hovering outside your window.

Dintiradan

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
It would not care if it were a human, either. Well, perhaps there's a distinction if you believe in an afterlife for our species only. That's a debate I'd rather avoid, though.

It's not so much that it would care if it were a human, so much that it is that other humans would care. I know I'd be pretty freaked out if my neighbor's wife died and he turned her into a helicopter.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It's not so much that it would care if it were a human, so much that it is that other humans would care. I know I'd be pretty freaked out if my neighbor's wife died and he turned her into a helicopter.
Whats wrong with WifeCopters? Sounds perfectly legit and acceptable to me.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
It would not care if it were a human, either. Well, perhaps there's a distinction if you believe in an afterlife for our species only. That's a debate I'd rather avoid, though.

But other humans seem to care about cats as well.

I am a cat person, but my reaction was pretty much the same as Nioca's. The quality of the taxidermy and the startlingly perfect execution of the awesome idea of a flying cat makes this a legitimate piece of art, imo.

Having said that, I did not approve of the display of flayed human cadavers in artistic poses that was making the rounds some years ago. is apparently still making the rounds. So maybe I'm a bad person, or speciesist, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
Having said that, I did not approve of the display of flayed human cadavers in artistic poses that was making the rounds some years ago. is apparently still making the rounds. So maybe I'm a bad person, or speciesist, I don't know.

Well, it doesn't help that some of those bodies were apparently taken from executed Chinese prisoners without their consent.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Well, it doesn't help that some of those bodies were apparently taken from executed Chinese prisoners without their consent.

Apparently not.

Originally Posted By: Wiki
Bodies from deceased persons who did not give consent – such as deceased hospital patients from Kyrgyzstan[38] and executed prisoners from China – have never been used in a Body Worlds exhibition. In January 2004, the German news magazine Der Spiegel reported that von Hagens had acquired corpses of executed prisoners in China; von Hagens countered that he did not know the origin of the bodies, and returned seven disputed cadavers to China.[39] In 2004, von Hagens obtained an injunction against Der Spiegel for making the claims.[40]

A commission set up by the California Science Center in Los Angeles in 2004 confirmed von Hagens' commitment to ethical practices, and published its Summary of Ethical Review.[41] The commission matched death certificates and body donation forms, and verified informed legal consent of the bodies in the exhibitions. However, to ensure the privacy and anonymity promised to body donors, Von Hagens' Institute for Plastination maintains a firewall between body donors' documentation and finished plastinated bodies. To date, more than 9,000 individuals have pledged to donate their bodies to the Institute for Plastination in Heidelberg, in Germany.

Yeah, I've gone to Body Worlds, and that rumour is news to me. And likewise, it's a (retroactive) relief that it is a rumour.

"[A]rtistic poses" is a little misleading. The cadavers are put in life-like positions, but the exhibit is primarily informative, not artistic. It's intended for a general audience, not medical students, so a lot of effort is put into making it not seem like a cadaver lab.

(I admit, I wasn't sure going in whether the attendees would treat it like some sideshow event. But that didn't seem to be the case, at least for the one I went to.)

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
OOOOOh the smell must be horrid

The cat's been mounted. It shouldn't smell.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
"[A]rtistic poses" is a little misleading. The cadavers are put in life-like positions, but the exhibit is primarily informative, not artistic.

Eh, most of the displays are informative, but some of the more dramatic displays are definitely art, like the man on a rearing horse or "Layers." (I don't know what makes the "Layers" more artistic than the other full body slices on display, but it is.)

Dikiyoba has been to a few Body Worlds exhibits and doesn't see what's controversial about it. Yes, it's a bit gruesome, so it's not for the squeamish or very young children. And yes, there are genitals, so you'll want to leave the easily offended and the obnoxious twenty-somethings at home. Even with those issues, though, it just doesn't seem that problematic.

People donate their bodies as organs to save others, and it's a laudable thing. Others donate their remains to "science" or more normally students learning to become various medical professionals, and it's a service to everyone who will ever see a physician, or a dentist, or any of a number of other healthcare providers.

But donate your body to what amounts to a mobile museum and it's disgusting? Even if it's an art museum, I at least see nothing inherently wrong with it. People choose to decay, get incinerated, or very occasionally get cryopreserved indefinitely. Why is being plasticized and displayed somehow worse?

—Alorael, who would rather have his corpse go on to be useful somehow. Even being made into fertilizer and bone meal is better than just wasting space.

That guy is a jerk. Respect in this case would be NOT turning the cat into something it wasn't. Cats I am sure have no desire to be helicopters.

You want to Taxidermy the animal fine, but why change it. If you change it, and keep it around, you didn't have respect or love for the original, and therefore should not have had it.

"Oh, I always loved Mom in life. In fact, I think now that she's dead I'll swap her head for a flower pot, yeah, that will be an awesome memorial"

!NOW ZOMBIES HAVE COPTERS RUN!

-

HAHA! Thanks to Din AN OTHER EVIL PLOT FROM THE NEO-CONFORMISTS TO DESECRATE THE DEAD AND RAISE AN ARMY FROM THE UNDEAD HAS BEEN PREVENTED!

-

Originally Posted By: Christmas Freud in April
—Alorael, who would rather have his corpse go on to be useful somehow. Even being made into fertilizer and bone meal is better than just wasting space.

SOYLENT GREEN IS ALORAEL!!!

SILENCE ALORAEL EATS PEOPLE!

I should have known better than to click that link. That is one weird dude. I would almost hope that cat came back as a pooka.

Lilith, I have met a cat or two. Personally, I am more of a dog lover; therefore when my wife brought home that little gray ball of fluff, it set out to convert me into a cat person. Actually, he was not bad, as far as cats go.