spambots

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε

They come in waves. Usually I just delete the topic and ban them so you don't see them.

Although this one at Basilisk Games is just asking for it:

Quote:
Methods to Push away Other Role-Playing Sport People

by nicolasgazz » Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 am

You are presently inside a Role-Playing Sport marketing campaign that you simply anxiously would like from, for whatever reason. A minimum of, it would appear that method to other gamers, since you invest much of your period destroying their own enjoyable. You're the thorn inside your celebration members' attributes, and never within an charming "villain NPC" kind of method. These people not just don't like your own personality, however they truly detest a person like a individual. The only real reason why these people still have fun with a person is the fact that everyone is as well courteous to inquire about you to definitely depart.

I possibly could create a whole post around the stuff that you want to do whilst actively playing the table top Role-play game together with your buddies. I possibly could additionally create an extended observation around the stuff that you should not perform. I've chose to mix both of them right into a listing of 15 easy recommendations for how you can push away other gamers. By using these types of recommendations, you ought to be in a position to make sure that you should never be asked to experience within an additional bet on Dungeons & Mythical beasts, Shadowrun, or other table top Role-play game again.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Usually I just delete the topic and ban them so you don't see them.

Ditto. The recent spam topics in General have only survived because people keep posting in them. Which is going to become a problem if it keeps happening and the spam topics start stacking up.

Dikiyoba.

That spam quote by Randomizer was clearly made by applying a thesaurus to an original human post. By just replacing every off-key word or phrase with the obvious near-synonym, you can reconstruct a more intelligible ur-text.

I don't think we've seen this approach here very much. It seems like an obvious thing to try, but it clearly doesn't really work very well, because the spambot version still read like absolute gibberish. It's actually a good illustration of the nuance of language.

Originally Posted By: nicolasgazz

Ways to Repel Other Role-Playing Gamers

You are currently participating in a Role-Playing campaign that you just desperately want to leave, for some reason. At least, it would appear that way to other gamers, since you spend much of your time destroying their fun. You're the thorn in your party members' sides, and never in a charming "villain NPC" kind of way. These people don't just dislike your own character, however; they really hate you as an individual. The only real reason why these people still play with you is the fact that everyone is too polite to ask you to leave.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

Ditto. The recent spam topics in General have only survived because people keep posting in them. Which is going to become a problem if it keeps happening and the spam topics start stacking up.

I will refrain, then. Occasionally, I'm interested in the topic they bring up (like the microscope man), but mostly I'm hoping that, if I'm nice to the robots, they will spare me if they ever become sentient.

We do delete a fair number of spambot threads. The boards aren't exactly getting flooded with bots, but their feet are getting a little wetter than you might realize, because we try to remove bot threads quickly. Occasionally there comes a spambot that's actually amusing enough that we ban the bot but don't delete its thread. We do remove all its links, so if you see a spambot thread and can't figure out what its point was, its point was to get you to click on the links that some mod removed.

The spambots ARE pretty hilarious sometimes. What I wonder is who actually thinks they would help sell a product. They seem so obviously gimmicky / fake / suspect that it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would ever read a spambot post and think "Oh, I should think about this hair extension microscope doohickey." Do spambots ever really generate sales? If they do...who is daft enough to buy from them? If they don't, who is delusional enough to think they would?

The thing about spambots is that most of the time, the product or service advertised by them is a scam. Even worse though, is when a spambot link leads to a site that installs viruses or other forms of malware on your computer without notifying you. I personally never click on such links because of those two reasons.

The stupid fact is though, no matter what you do to stop spambots from making their senseless advertisements on a forum or somewhere else on the web, they still find a way around any sort of anti-spam measures you use. Ban one account for spamming, three more are created. It's truly annoying.

Down with spambots and their spam!

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: ĐªŔŦĦ ËRNIË
You mean to tell me that there really is no way to make $10,000 a month from home by working two hours a week?

Making spambots?

So that's why Aran isn't around so much these days; he's bathing in a pool of fifties.

Not even remotely related, but can something be done to address the Resource Limit error thing. Last night it was hitting me two out of three requests, and I know it's just UBB. The horde coming in from Steam and company might not realize that and travel elsewhere.

You mean to tell me that there really is no way to make $10,000 a month from home by working two hours a week?
Of course there is; it's called "retiring with a generous pension."

Seriously though, it is in fact possible, and there are several ways to do it. However, the vast majority of them require a tremendous amount of work on your part before you get to that point.
Originally Posted By: Dim the lights on the way out.
—Alorael, who makes that much at least, and works that much at most.
That must be nice. I, on the other hand, will make an average of about $40-50 per month this year with that same amount of effort.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Of course there is; it's called "retiring with a generous pension."

Who the hell gets a $120,000/year pension? Are you planning to work at Goldman or run a hedge fund or something?

I was just using it as a theoretical (and yes, I'll admit, a bit unrealistic) example. It would be nice to have such a "golden parachute," though.

To answer your other question: No, I'm definitely not planning to work for Goldman or any other financial institution. However, I do run a fund of sorts (that's what I call it, anyway), but it's more along the lines of "or something"; and before you ask, yes, it's legal.