Off Forum Community

Actaeon

I feel like I've fallen a little behind on the state of the community outside the forums. Obviously there's AIMhack. I'm trying to get some Skype D&D going. But are any of the satellite boards still active? Does the chat room get traffic? Has anyone tried to set up a game of webDiplomacy?

... I'm sure there are better times to ask this than when everyone's off playing Skryim. I'm also aware that I've made more than my share of topics lately. I figure, if it's a problem, I'll either be told to desist, or the threads in question will just shrivel and die.

i still hang out with the desp crew on AIM. alec's now housemates with djur and also married (not to djur). the desp forums are locked indefinitely due to spambots and us not really posting on them since forever anyway. i think there's one satellite forum, Calamity Refuge, that's still semi-active and i'm not sure that one was even around back when you were.

Originally Posted By: Thin Gypsy Thief
CRF is currently populated by some of the finer breed of teenaged SWers, and also sometimes Jewels. We're more a bitter, spite-filled chat room than forums now, but hey, we are still around and mildly active after something like five years.

If by "something like five years" you mean "just over three years."

CRF differs somewhat from Desp, Polaris, and SV. Like them, it drew its member base primarily from the SW boards. However, all three of those forums were populated by some of the most prolific posters from SW. CRF, in contrast, is populated mostly by people who rarely post on SW, at least these days.

I mention this because it means that as an off-forum community, it is significantly more detached from the SW boards than the other successful forums were in their days.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
CRF is currently populated by some of the finer breed of teenaged SWers, and also sometimes Jewels. We're more a bitter, spite-filled chat room than forums now, but hey, we are still around and mildly active after something like five years.

If by "something like five years" you mean "just over three years."
Three years, three months, and nineteen days, to be exact. But yeah, CalRef is less a SW satellite and more a limping-along place with a chatroom. The various assorted server closures and whatnot have not boded well.

Basically what has been said already tongue

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

CRF differs somewhat from Desp, Polaris, and SV. Like them, it drew its member base primarily from the SW boards. However, all three of those forums were populated by some of the most prolific posters from SW. CRF, in contrast, is populated mostly by people who rarely post on SW, at least these days.

Yeah, the people at CalRef now, save for Neb and a handful of RL friends, used to post at SW a lot. Iffy and Nalyd were quite prolific back in the day. Myself, I find it difficult to find time to post/chat at either place much but when I do find it I usually spend it there.

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Yeah, the people at CalRef now, save for Neb and a handful of RL friends, used to post at SW a lot. Iffy and Nalyd were quite prolific back in the day. Myself, I find it difficult to find time to post/chat at either place much but when I do find it I usually spend it there.

Indeed, and I daresay that there company has even been missed. I remember, back in the day, Iffy posted at a higher rate than anyone else, and was once proclaiming that he would surpass Alorael.

That's hard to do when you post almost exclusively at CalRef.

If you summed post counts on Spiderweb and all satellites, everyone would have more posts than me thanks to my spectacularly negative count on Polaris. Those were the days.

—Alorael, who finds it fascinating how the satellites tend to bring in Spiderweb members and then, for those members, be a much more central hub. And then they usually stop bringing in members after a short time. Someone more sociologically savvy could draw deep insights from that.

Originally Posted By: Eminently Improbable Scenario

—Alorael, who finds it fascinating how the satellites tend to bring in Spiderweb members and then, for those members, be a much more central hub. And then they usually stop bringing in members after a short time. Someone more sociologically savvy could draw deep insights from that.

it's a pretty common social pattern on forums outside of spiderweb too. forums that draw most of their population from a subset of an existing community tend to become more about the people involved than the content, which eventually makes them insular and unwelcoming to new members

I've seen it happen places other than Spiderweb, yes. But why does it happen? I could understand a self-selected subset wanting what amounts to a place for private conversations, but why is it the nature of these things to turn so insular? Whatever drew the initial cabal together could presumably bring in fresh blood, and it's not as though relationships on the main forums are completely static things.

—Alorael, who is not the sociologist who can analyze this. He does believe that there's a real social implication to it, and there are probably real-world analogs.

Originally Posted By: Eminently Improbable Scenario
I've seen it happen places other than Spiderweb, yes. But why does it happen? I could understand a self-selected subset wanting what amounts to a place for private conversations, but why is it the nature of these things to turn so insular? Whatever drew the initial cabal together could presumably bring in fresh blood, and it's not as though relationships on the main forums are completely static things.

i think it's because satellites almost always arise from some particular historical condition of the community and when that condition ceases to obtain the satellite ceases to be relevant to the original community. essentially the satellite acts as a dialectical antithesis to the community's thesis and thus gets left behind once the synthesis comes

Perhaps the social equivalent of the Founder Effect? A smaller population is prone to the artificial dominance of behaviors, attitudes, or interests to an extent not representative of the original whole.

If they're any more exclusive than the original, they'll leak membership until it's not worth it any more. And if they're not, what's the point? I was a huge fan of Shadow Vale (greater variety of non-game forums was a plus), but the original will always be king.

Edit: Or what Thuryl said. The rapid turnover of spiderweb subcultures, in action.

• 4 months later...

(necro)

Hey, you know how there was that whole Mod Election thing on SW awhile back

and you know how i wasn't around for that drama but heard it was terrible

and you know how calref has a randomly strange number of mods that could be more random and strance.

well guess what.

History repeats itself.

so go use that calref account you never touched to log in and make ill-informed choices that affect us in some way.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I went to vote but everything was apparently reset.

Oh well.

That was because the drama started off early and a mod opted to edit the poll. I dunno if it was just a ragequit, removing his votes only, or if he changed others' too, so I opted to stay on the safe side. You can re-cast your ballot.

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
I'm surprised to find that I actually have a CalRef account. Posted with it, even. Once. "Hi.".

And you could totally come around more often and say hi and stuff wink

Originally Posted By: Sylae
Even got my own campaign waiting for a good time to be released.
Hey, me too!

Yeah, I think Nalyd and myself are really the only people active at both SW and CRF. Azuma maybe as well, although I'm not sure if he's much active here or not.
I've been trying to get more active with both communities when I have some time off being a superhero and stuff. Hopefully A:EftP will re-energize an interest in both boards.

But I promise not to do any RPs. I was never good with those tongue

So, this has always confused me. Why would anyone want to be a moderator, so much so that a vote is necessary on deciding who makes the cut? I can understand why some people want to pursue things like public office, but moderation is less "enact change for the better" and more "clean-up on aisle seven".

Don't take the above paragraph as accusatory or anything. I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion. I'm just curious as to why someone would want such a thankless job.

On CR, we get colored names in the chat, bragging rights, and that's pretty much it. Sylae does everything important herself and we don't have any appreciable spambot or disciplinary problems. Because the actual forums are mostly dead.

Which is why the exaggerated internet drama is really very silly. It was lots of fun until someone got serious over nothing. :|

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
So, this has always confused me. Why would anyone want to be a moderator, so much so that a vote is necessary on deciding who makes the cut? I can understand why some people want to pursue things like public office, but moderation is less "enact change for the better" and more "clean-up on aisle seven".

Don't take the above paragraph as accusatory or anything. I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion. I'm just curious as to why someone would want such a thankless job.

There's also the issue that people who actually want that kind of responsibility are usually the last people you want in those positions. I haven't seen this so much in online forums, but I've witnessed a lot of cases of moderators turning their little sphere of influence into their own private playground.

• 7 months later...

This seems like a good time to necro this thread. Now, instead of asking, I can contribute to the list of how YOU TOO can be involved in the extended Spidweb community. Since CalRef and Facebook have been heavily pitched, here are a few other places with Spidweb/Refuge subgroups:

Kingdom of Loathing

last.fm

NationStates

BOINC

Steam

We also run chess tournaments, games of Diplomacy, and of course AIMhack.

Anything I'm missing? Anything you think we should add?