Spiderweb Quiz -- Work Together

Slawbug

Here is a quiz for the boards, about the boards. You can answer the questions on your own if you like, or you can work together and just contribute answers that aren't in the thread yet. How many answers are out there?

SPIDERWEB QUIZ

1. How many members can you name that were mods, were demodded, and later became mods again?

2. How many accounts can you name that had administrator status at some point in time?

3. How many fictionalized deities and/or religions can you name that were publicly taken up by board personalities at some point?

4. What about "artificial" languages developed on or alongside the forums?

5. How many canonical fluffy turtles, or other fluffy animals, can you name?

6. How many longstanding RPs can you name?

7. What about AIMHack campaigns?

8. Within the Spiderweb boards, how many specific forums can you name that can no longer be reached by natural means? (Note: forums that have been merged or split into other forums, e.g. Exile 2 into The Exile Trilogy, do not count.)

9. How many current or former "satelite boards" can you name (boards created by Spiderweb members and adavertised to some portion of the membership here as another place to gather)?

10. How many Marathon-inspired custom titles (current or former, but I they're mostly gone now) can you name?

11. What about Lewis Carroll-inspired titles?

12. How many acronyms can you list that are, or were, regularly used on the boards? Acronyms that are everywhere (lol) don't count, but message board-specific acronyms that are used frequently here do.

EDIT: Okay, I'm modifying the acronyms question to specify "acronyms used as generic phrases" which should exclude most proper nouns. Listing every member, RP, game, etc that can be referred to with an acronym was not supposed to be the point.

13. How many works of literature can you name that were posted — or that somebody attempted to post — in their entirity?

14. How many members can you name who spoke in the third person in every post, for some period of time?

15. And finally, how many members can you name who created a topic to announce their permanent departure from the forums, only to return years, months, or days later?

3. There was the Richard White cult and Thralni's cow religion(I want to name his chicken fortune teller too, but I'm not sure if that counts).

4. Does the one Sherbiebaby and I were making up count?

11. "Off with their heads!"

9. Shadowvale, CalRef, I'm blanking on the infamous one. I think it started with a P.

13. I know there was a Marx, but I can't remember if it was the Manifesto or Das Kapital.

14. Dikiyoba.

15. Synergy.

EDIT: Clearly I'm awful at remembering multiple examples.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
1. How many members can you name that were mods, were demodded, and later became mods again?

does resignation count as demodding

Quote:
2. How many accounts can you name that had administrator status at some point in time?

spidweb, krizsan, drakefyre, the great potato, stareye, zeviz. i think that's all of them? was schro an admin at one point?

Quote:

there was that one Vahnatai language thing that Akhronath did and Drakey picked up on. Kelandon worked on some Slith language stuff too. also i think Thralni did a Nephil language thing?

Quote:

this one is sort of easy to cheat on since there's a list on Eph's website

Quote:
9. How many current or former "satelite boards" can you name (boards created by Spiderweb members and adavertised to some portion of the membership here as another place to gather)?

Desp, Polaris, CRF, TCoA, that one BoA thing that Overwhelming did and everyone yelled at him for...

Quote:
12. How many acronyms can you list that are, or were, regularly used on the boards? Acronyms that are everywhere (lol) don't count, but message board-specific acronyms that are used frequently here do.

we really should start using the now-internet-standard FTFY instead of FYT. the latter is potentially confusing in bad ways.

Quote:
13. How many works of literature can you name that were posted — or that somebody attempted to post — in their entirity?

the Aeneid, the Treaty of Westphalia, the Prose Edda (this one was me), the Communist Manifesto, and uh i'm sure there were others

Quote:
14. How many members can you name who spoke in the third person in every post, for some period of time?

* Alorael (does this one count?)
* Dikiyoba
* Nalyd
* Maimonides referred to Maimonides in the third person when Maimonides referred to Maimonides at all, but often Maimonides did not

Quote:
15. And finally, how many members can you name who created a topic to announce their permanent departure from the forums, only to return years, months, or days later?

* me
* Alec
* Djur
* me
* Alec
* me
* Djur
* me
* me

I can only think of Lilith and me.

Spidweb, Mariann's account that is never used, *i, Drakefyre, and Zeviz very briefly. Was Schrodinger actually an admin at one point too?

3. How many fictionalized deities and/or religions can you name that were publicly taken up by board personalities at some point?

Thralni's chicken god, the Cult of the Nine-Headed Cow, Richard White, me briefly, and there are probably more but I'm blanking.

Alorael, Nalyd, and a bunch of relatively unknown members who used the gimmick briefly. It seems like there is someone else, but Dikiyoba cannot remember. Maybe it'll come to Dikiyoba when Dikiyoba returns to answer some more questions.

Not including what other people have already posted...

Quote:

There was a "TM == Cthulhu" thing for a bit, does that count?

Quote:

Every one I participated in can be found here, not all are SpidWeb based. When I joined there was some Vahnatai thing going on, don't remember the title. Before my time was Balthazar the Mad.

Quote:
8. Within the Spiderweb boards, how many specific forums can you name that can no longer be reached by natural means? (Note: forums that have been merged or split into other forums, e.g. Exile 2 into The Exile Trilogy, do not count.)
The Richard White forum. Misc was before my time.

Quote:
Only one I can remember that hasn't been mentioned is RIFQ. Oh, does the Blades Forge and the old Encyclopedia discussion forums count?

Quote:
10. How many Marathon-inspired custom titles (current or former, but I they're mostly gone now) can you name?

Holy crap, there's no way we're going to remember them all. However, I remember an old topic listing a tonne of them...

Quote:
I agree that FYT should be deprecated; I usually write it out. There's all the game abbreviations, SW for Spiderweb, JV for Jeff Vogel. Don't know if TBoEaPaSPiTBoAPWaELaNOA counts as 'regularly used'.

Quote:
I once posted the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales, but I edited it out within a minute.

Quote:
Did Thralni ever come back? He and Shaun Wuan made departure posts, back when everyone was doing it. TM, for a loose definition of 'departure topic'. Alorael made a fake one.

Concerning satellite boards

Originally Posted By: lillith
Desp, Polaris, CRF, TCoA, that one BoA thing that Overwhelming did and everyone yelled at him for...

Overwheming's board wasn't what got him yelled at; it was just supposed to be a board to help people run scenario beta-tests that never saw much use. The fight was about his mirroring Kelandon's scenarios without Kelandon's permission.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Did Thralni ever come back?

While Thralni made a brief reappearance at Shadowvale (as I imagine you remember), I don't think that he came back to the boards here.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Overwheming's board wasn't what got him yelled at; it was just supposed to be a board to help people run scenario beta-tests that never saw much use. The fight was about his mirroring Kelandon's scenarios without Kelandon's permission.

My recollection of events was that that was a symptom of a larger problem: that he wanted his site and forums to be the single go-to place for all BoA discussion, whether we liked it or not, and he didn't take it well when we pointed out he was being kind of a jerk about it.

Schrodinger was an admin and now is listed as local mod.

Quote:

Inspector Peanut and Inspector Walnut

Quote:

Has Sub Terra been forgotten already? I guess Richard White altered too many implants because they went together.

Quote:

Tyranicus's Nethergate/Shadowvale Forum where we went to discuss why this board wasn't coming back on schedule when it switched to UBBThreads.

Quote:

Didn't someone have an actual stuffed turtle and post pics of it on the boards at one time?

Quote:

Labyrinth, Selos, Bloodmarsh, Brigand, Dustbowl, Theressa, CoH, One Eph did at his summer camp, Rummors, Two one shot campaigns (one by Nioca in place of Brigand, another by Diki), IiC, Party of Three, One that is secret from the masses, EoD.

I know that I am missing a few that have been run privately also.

Quote:

There was a brief time that the secret forum was available for everyone to see.

Quote:

Rowen did this for a few months back in 2oo4.

I had one about 2 years back. Obviously, that was a bust!

Post #556 cool

10. How many Marathon-inspired custom titles (current or former, but they're mostly gone now) can you name?

From memory:

Nuke and Pave: Zeviz

For Carnage, Apply Within: Sarachim

Lack of Vision: Zorro

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!: Sir David

By Committee: Drew

After looking at this list:

Curiouser and Curiouser: Synergy

Electric Sheep One: Student of Trinity

E equals MC WHAT!!: Ash Lael

Possible titles:

This Side Toward Enemy

Post Naval Trauma

Bob's Big Date: one of Alec's accounts?

Clarification needed:

Arctic Wolf had the title "One [something] slimy things". Is the missing section just "thousand", or are were there two numbers there?

Dikiyoba.

This one is harder. Either there weren't as many, or most of them were gone by the time I arrived.

Off with Their Heads: Kelandon

Painting the Roses Red: Arancaytar (He had another Lewis Carroll-inspired title either before or after this title too, but I can't remember what it was.)

Raven vs. Writing Desk: Slartucker

Dikiyoba hopes the History of the Boards is finally released soon, because it's fast becoming ancient history in its own right.

Okay, here's a repost of the questions plus all the answers people have contributed so far. I'm pretty sure there are still more answers to (almost) all of the questions, so keep at it!

Thurilith

Dikiyoba

Spidweb

Krizsan

Drakefyre

The Great Potato

Stareye

Zeviz

Schrodinger

Richard White

Church of the Nine-Headed Cave Cow

Chicken Gods

Dikiyoba

Cthulhu

Nicothodes' and Sherbiebaby's language

Novah

Classical Slith

Nephilian

Inspector Peanut

Inspector Walnut

Balthazar the Mad

World of Avernum Reloaded

The Mountain of Shadows

Legends of Divinity

Down to Earth

Labyrinth

Selos

Blood Marsh

Brigandin

Dust Bowl

Theressa

CoH

Rumors

IiC

Party of Three

End of Days

Richard White Games

Misc.

SubTerra

Shadow Vale

Calamity Refuge

Desperance

Polaris

The Club of All

Overwhelming's BoA Forums

RIFQ

Blades Forge

Encyclopedia Ermariana discussion forums (technically)

Nuke and Pave (Zeviz)

For Carnage, Apply Within (Sarachim)

Lack of Vision (Zorro)

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! (Sir David)

By Committee (Drew)

Curiouser and Curiouser (Synergy)

Electric Sheep One (SoT)

E equals MC WHAT!! (Ash Lael)

This Side Toward Enemy

Post Naval Trauma (Khoth)

Bob's Big Date (Alec)

Off With Their Heads (Kelandon)

Curiouser and Curiouser (Synergy)

Painting the Roses Red (Aran)

Raven v. Writing Desk (Slarty)

FYT

GIFTS

SW

JV

The Communist Manifesto

Das Kapital?

The Aeneid

The Treaty of Westphalia

The Prose Edda

Prologue to the Canterbury Tales (technically)

The Kama Sutra

Dikiyoba

Alorael

Nalyd

"Maimonides"

Rowen

Synergy

Alec (technically)

Thurilith

Djur

TM (technically)

12. Re: Acronyms

Do abbreviations for SW games count (all the X's and A's and G's or GF's and N:R's, etc)? I doubt such things are used elsewhere, at least with the meanings they carry here. I know I've even seen the subtle distinction between E2, X2, and A2 made at some point, but I don't recall what it is.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
12. Re: Acronyms

Do abbreviations for SW games count (all the X's and A's and G's or GF's and N:R's, etc)? I doubt such things are used elsewhere, at least with the meanings they carry here. I know I've even seen the subtle distinction between E2, X2, and A2 made at some point, but I don't recall what it is.

For the record, E2 refers to Exile 2, A2 to Avernum 2, and X2 to either one. The X means you can put in whichever letter, because it is irrelevant which game you're speaking of directly. It's about canon, more than anything. I believe, while developing acronyms for the games isn't really noteworthy, the 'X' acronym is a relevant innovation of the Spiderweb community.

Originally Posted By: Treasured Gold
To be used sarcastically.

Not always.

Didn't Aran have something like "I'm late!"? I'm sure it was something to do with the white rabbit, and that's all I'm coming up with right now.

Edit: Wait! Wait! It was "A very important date", wasn't it? I was right about the rabbit, at least. smile

Hark! I bring data about titles from days past:

The following lists are from some very old collections of member data I collected shortly after joining. Listed are all recorded titles (I make no guarantee that each collection was complete at its time), and for each title which applied at the time to less than ten accounts the displayed names and number of the accounts are listed, otherwise the number of accounts is given.

Septamber 29, 2005:

Click to reveal..

Look! I'm Banned! : Vince(1318)

Banned, yet again : Ultima(539)

sudo reban/stanrar -y : Stanrar(308)

For Carnage, Apply Within : Scorched Earth Sarachim(95)

Veteran* : Mysterious Man(5)

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! : Lady Davida(919)

Babelicious : Old-School Djur(39), O Nascimento Conduz A Morte(3092), Djur Revolutions(3149)

La Canaliste : saunders(5563)

Master Jeweller : Radiant(409)

Member Number: : Seletine(54), La Renaissance(165), Byte?(335), go baby go(2286)

Village Idiot tongue : lewi(4219)

Erudite* : xxo(3042)

Banning Leaves no Marks : Lance The Ultimate Wizard Warrior(1321)

I am the banned mod : Edward Johnathan Jackson Lemur(11)

Bob's Big Date : George A. Custer & The SE Party(3151)

Mongolian Barbeque : Icshi(1528)

Journeyman <189 accounts>

A Very Important Date : Arancaytar. You Owe it to the Door.(2984)

Do the banned dance! : London123(1328)

Cartographer : -silver-(995), Ulrika Jounintytar(1851), Rache(2264)

SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!! : Vladimir Scorpius(314)

Post Navel Trauma ^_^ : Khoth(67)

Dance the Banned Dance : Crap Blood Swirl(3052)

Guru : Morgan(22), The Almighty Doer of Stuff(73), X(496), Omlette(517), You should vote Wise Man(1046), Mystery Man(2350)

Loyal Underling : the Great Potato(13)

FAQSELF : Schrodinger(3)

Triad Mage : Krizsan(2), Drakefyre(7)

Rebanned, courtesy of Drakefyre : Shotts999(1492)

Shake Before Using : Imban(75)

White Rabbit : Manhood Typing Kelandon(4045)

sudo: reban/stanrarbannedx1 -y : StanrarBannedX1(1459)

I SI BANNED : Shotts1200 II(1053), Britain is da bomb(1168)

Senile Reptile : Sir Motrax of Exile(547)

One Thousand Slimy Things : Arctic dreams of...(66)

Nuke and Pave : Zeviz(24)

Apprentice <5454 accounts>

Adept <72 accounts>

Erudite <43 accounts>

Canned <12 accounts>

This Side Towards Enemy : Rantallion(147), Unpleasantness for its Own Sake(3098)

Veteran <18 accounts>

Spammer : exile2fan12345(1511)

Banned : A1-tank-kills-you(1409)

...b10010b... : Thuryl(869)

BoE Posse : Silent Motion(15), Alcritas(51), Drizzt(84), The Creator(112), Drizzt(2475), Ash Lael(5491)

Citizen of Exile <161 accounts>

The Establishment : *i(6)

BANNED <36 accounts>

Board Administrator : Spidweb(1)

March 31, 2006:

Click to reveal..

For Carnage, Apply Within : Spartacus was Nathan Ashby(95)

Electric Sheep One : Student of Trinity(3431)

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! : Sir David(919)

Babelicious : Andrea(39), O Nascimento Conduz A Morte(3092), Djur Revolutions(3149)

By Committee : Drew(4233)

Member Number: : Seletine(54), La Renaissance(165), Dame Annals(261), So priketh hem nature(335), go baby go(2286)

Man of the People : The holy blisful martir for to seke(2984)

Bob's Big Date : Custer(3151), The Worst Man Ever(6388)

His Mighty Tentacle : Delicious Vlish(627)

Journeyman <205 accounts>

Trademark : Rubicante(4), Old Man Reggae(6397)

Lack of Vision : Zorro(2717)

Cartographer : -silver-(995), Unaccomplished Lip Balm(1851), Rache(2264)

? Man, ? Amazing : Jumpin' Salmon(5755)

Off With Their Heads : Kelandon(4045)

Skip to My Lou : Archmage Alex(40)

Guru : Morgan(22), The Almighty Do-er of Stuff(73), X(496), Omlette(517), Wise Man(1046), Mystery Man(2350), the benalizer(4614), Spring(5450)

LIAR : fyorna(6181)

Too Sexy for my Title : Dominican Desire(5654)

Apprentice <6287 accounts>

Adept <87 accounts>

Erudite <44 accounts>

Canned <10 accounts>

This Side Towards Enemy : Rantallion(147), Unpleasantness for its Own Sake(3098)

Veteran <23 accounts>

E Equals MC What!!!! : Ash Lael(5491)

BANNED <58 accounts>

BoE Posse : Silent Motion(15), Alcritas(51), Drizzt(84), The Creator(112), Drizzt(2475)

Citizen of Exile <171 accounts>

October 5, 2007

Click to reveal..

Champion : Zapp Brannigan(2080), demonslay3r(2238), Zephyr Tempest(2339), ef(2476), Stugri-La(3521)

For Carnage, Apply Within : Sarachim(95)

Electric Sheep One : Student of Trinity(3431)

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! : Sir David(919)

Babelicious : Andrea(39), O Nascimento Conduz A Morte(3092), Djur Revolutions(3149)

By Committee : Drew(4233)

Member Number: : La Renaissance(165), Yama Toman?(261), Acrobatic Cormorants(335), go baby go(2286), Ephesos(4153), Synergy(6292)

Mercenary <354 accounts>

Man of the People : root(2984)

Sage : Wise Man(1046), Sturg(4614)

Swashbuckler <38 accounts>

Bob's Big Date : Custer(3151)

His Mighty Tentacle : Delicious Vlish(627)

Lack of Vision : Zorro(2717)

Cartographer : -silver-(995), Reluctant Big Sister(1851), Rache(2264)

New Arrival <5672 accounts>

? Man, ? Amazing : Jumpin' Salmon(5755)

Off With Their Heads : Kelandon(4045)

Dollop of Whipped Cream : Tyranicus.(391)

Skip to My Lou : Archmage Alex(40)

Guild Master <11 accounts>

Adventurer <37 accounts>

LIAR : fyorna(6181)

Too Sexy for my Title : M.(5654)

Apprentice : Elhioc(1496)

Canned : Tails(1248), F-5(3020), The flying axe(4042), genoforge(5435), taker_guardian(5490)

This Side Towards Enemy : Rantallion(147), Talent in a Previous Life(3098)

Explorer <89 accounts>

E Equals MC What!!!! : Ash Lael(5491)

BoE Posse : Silent Motion(15), Alcritas(51), Drizzt(84), The Creator(112), Drizzt(2475)

BANNED <49 accounts>

There are a lot of redundant data there, sorry, but I'm a bit too worn out at the moment to finish sifting through it for the interesting stuff.

EDIT: I have other datasets, ~10 in total, but the above three cover about the beginning, middle, and end of my records.

EDIT2: I just noticed that there is some minor corruption of the data, namely accounts with no recorded title, which appear above with the incorrect title 'Member Number:'. I'm too lazy to restructure my script to skip these, however.

Niemand, I bet your corruption comes from HTML tags in the titles, or maybe just unwanted characters like < and >. Seletine and Alorael had italics from the generic Blademaster mod title, I had italics in my title, and La Renaissance had strikethrough. Not sure about Ephesos, Synergy, and "go baby go."

EDIT: Okay, I'm modifying the acronyms question to specify "acronyms used as generic phrases" which should exclude most proper nouns. Listing every member, RP, game, etc that can be referred to with an acronym was not supposed to be the point.

Woo, Niemand! Useful stuff.

5. Lamppost the goldfish, right?

6. Wasn't there a really old and really huge RP with Silvar Inn in the title?

8. The Geneforge and Geneforge 2 were hidden but still reachable (and posted in) at one point.

14. Artemis did so (or close enough, anyway) for a few weeks.

15. Commander Eddie, of course.

Dikiyoba.

Drat, I guess I can't use this thread as an excuse to ask if anyone has seen DV since, what was it, G5?

Oh wait, did I just use this thread anyway?

PDN dosen't count, it stands for Publicly Displayed Name. I'd image that that acronym would be shared by any other forums that would use UBB. As previously stated, acronyms used elsewhere don't count.

I don't think anyone has said ET or TM yet.

Do abbreviations that aren't acronyms, like Alo or Aran or Slarty count? Because there are like a bajillion of those.

Thus Spake Slartathustra

Edit: also, I googled PDN and didn't see anywhere that used those letters to mean "Publicly Displayed Name." Now, five seconds (approximately) on Google perusing the top results is hardly a meaningful form of research, but it suggests to me that it might not be so ubiquitous as you think.

Quote:

The Lyceum (doh)
Phoenix

Quote:

SMoE?

Quote:

Salmon did this, didn't he? I'm not sure if he created a topic, but he certainly left in a huff over the ban on animated avatars, and I'm sure he's shown up at least once since then.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

6. Wasn't there a really old and really huge RP with Silvar Inn in the title?

Yes, must've been around 2003 I think. It was the first one I took part in. Don't know if it was the first time a 'silvar inn' RP thread got made, but that one got corrupted at some point and started a second time.

Don't remember much about the actual adventuring people did in it, only that we were supposed to be skribbane smugglers.