What Are You Listening To?

Actaeon

I noticed we have fairly current topics on photography and literature, but nothing to address the (potentially?) diverse musical tastes or talents of this community.

I imagine something of the sort went up about the time Spiderweb got its own last.fm channel, but it'd be quite the resurrection.

So what do you listen to? Artists, particular songs, genres...

Alternatively, are you a musician yourself? Perhaps your fellow Spiderwebbers would like to hear your stuff.

How is that ironic? At all?

Lately, I've been listening to the likes of Kings of Convenience, Kate Nash, Arcade Fire, Black Kids, and Fun. My music taste is eclectic, though, and I've listened to everything from the Beatles and Beach Boys, to Pink Floyd and Yes, to Yellowcard and Greenday, to Carl Orff and Pachelbel. It all just comes in phases.

I am also a musician. I play the piano, and have written a few simple songs for it. I also mess around on the trumpet and drums, but that's just on the side.

I think we had a What Are You Listenng To topic, but it was either purged when Grneral was or is locked on page 12 or thereabouts. That said, I'm in a bit of a Rachmaninhoff (sp?) mood lately, mainly piano concertos number 2 and 3. I also listened to some Vierne pretty recently, although my heart still lies with Wagner and Liszt.

I don't remember a topic like this. I play cello and piano, with guitar on the side, and I like Bach's six cello suites, especially the 3rd + 5th + 6th, the Elgar cello concerto, Dvorak, Rachmaninoff, and others. Away from classical styles, I like Air, Zero 7, Wax Tailor, Sia, Bonobo, Morcheeba, Phronesis, Stacey Kent, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Röyksopp, Smashmouth, The White Stripes, The Ting Tings, ...

Just now?

I listen to Dream Theater, Motley Crue, Metallica, Suzanne Vega, Amanda Marshall, Evanescence, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Clutch, Redemption, The Scorpions, Rick Astley, Lynard Skynard, KISS, and AC/DC as my main artists. Musical soundtracks are also pretty nice, I find myself listening to the Rent Soundtrack a lot, Aida, Chess, and Wicked.

I listen to large range of stuff, but I'll have stages where I will listen to mostly one genre for months. At the moment I'm in a metal stage. Metallica, Rammstein, Rage against The Machine...

I also occaisonaly get stuck into mostly listening to the same band the majority of the time. Right now it's Slayer.

I listen to a lot of music, ranging from classical to grunge and most stuff in between. I've posted a long list of artists in a similar thread, but I lack the motivation to do so at the moment. My three favorite artists are The Beatles, Radiohead, and Mozart. I've recently finished four years of high school, in which I was a member of the choir the whole time, and participated in the regional honor choir as well as the Nevada All-State choir.

Coincidentally (though not ironically tongue ), I too am in a Rachmaninoff phase. I've been listening to his "Sonata for Piano and Cello in G Minor," Piano Concerto No. 3, and "Isles of the Dead" quite a bit lately.

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna prove my noobiehood by shamelessly necromancing up this thread. These are usually my favourite topics.

Right now, I've been on a synth binge. KMFDM, Aqua, Toybox, E Nomine, Rammstein's earlier (synthier) work, and at this exact moment?

. I love watching him serenade a woman, the whole time I'm just thinking, "I don't believe you."

well now I am listening to Ly-o-lay Ale loya

(Contrary to popular belief this is NOT native American music, it is a Sami joik) which sounds strangely surreal, relaxing and invigorating at the same time...best heard after a few scotch on the rocks wink

also listening to Bjork, EVE Online OST, Sigur Ros, La Caution, Divinity 2 OST, Assassins Creed 2 OST, 009 Soundsystem, Chiasm, Infected Mushroom, Leftfield, Hanz Zimmer, Daft Punk, Dream Theater, Quartetto Cetra, Ananda Shake, VAnessa Mae, Ronald Jenkees, Requiem for a Dream OST among others.

I've been a shameless fanboy for a local band, lately (www.facebook.com/AllThePrettyHorses).

I would love to expand my horizons. Can anyone suggest tolerable Baroque (besides Bach), solid bluegrass, rap that doesn't sample better artists, or any modern jazz that isn't too avant-garde or just dull?

Ha, I thought this was a new thread, until I saw my post.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
I would love to expand my horizons. Can anyone suggest tolerable Baroque (besides Bach), solid bluegrass, rap that doesn't sample better artists, or any modern jazz that isn't too avant-garde or just dull?
Vivaldi (Gloria, Four Seasons) or Handel (Messiah, Fireworks, Water Music)?

Not a frequent bluegrass listener;

seems pretty good, though. Someone here (SoT?) recommended them a while back, thanks. Also,
is hilarious.

The only rap artist I've ever really listened to is Tupac, which tells you how far I've penetrated into the genre. ;-)

Whenever I'm on a jazz kick, I just listen to this. It just plays in the background, so I don't pay any attention to the names of the artists or songs.

EDIT: Haha, I've been missing out. Gonna listen to Iron Horse today.

I've been a shameless fanboy for a local band, lately (www.facebook.com/AllThePrettyHorses).

Well, for rap I would suggest looking into Macklemore, Dylan Owen, and Chiddy Bang. I think Chiddy is the only one of the three that samples other songs. Also, if you aren't against drug references, you could check out Skizzy Mars. Note that these artists are not like "mainstream" rap so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

For Baroque, I love Jean-Philippe Rameau. Telemann has some very good stuff too, and while I'm more familiar from playing it, some of it's also very interesting listening. The really famous music gets so overplayed that I find it hard to listen to it for its own sake sometimes.

—Alorael, who has also enjoyed the recent spate of pop music slowed down by a factor of ten or so and put on YouTube. Some of the songs are surprisingly nice, if weird.

I like
, Purcell (Dido and Aeneas is the main work I'm familiar with by him), and I remember learning Lully's Gavotte on cello years ago and liking that. I doubt it was originally for cello and have been too lazy to look up Lully in detail.

Covers that totally change the genre amuse me no end.

I went to a concert a month ago, where the opening act, which was pretty country/folk-ish, covered Should I Stay or Should I Go, and I would have loved it as a genre-changing cover on its own. Unfortunately, all of their songs sounded exactly the same stylistically, which greatly dulled the impact.

Originally Posted By: Enemies without what?

Alorael, who has also enjoyed the recent spate of pop music slowed down by a factor of ten or so and put on YouTube. Some of the songs are surprisingly nice, if weird.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Quote:
...rap that doesn't sample better artists...

Sampling is a plague.

Sampling doesn't bother me sometimes. Whereas I reckon pop is a definate plague.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Quote:
...rap that doesn't sample better artists...

That reminds me of the time I heard some Nina Simone on a roommate's stereo. I was about to mention my surprise when some talentless jerk cut across the track and ruined the song. Sampling is a plague.

I feel your pain. Not because I've heard the cover/sampling, but because Nina Simone is amazing, and I can't imagine some jerk cutting across her with something else.

Tolerable baroque is called "classical" or "romantic".

How much Handel have you tried? Beyond Bach and Handel, you don't have may other major options besides maybe Telemann or Scarlatti.

Classical music is very broad, and both the Romantic and Classical period. And you don't have to love Baroque, but you should be aware of taste. I generally prefer Baroque to Romantic and find far more pieces from the latter period intolerable.

J.S. Bach, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi, Rameau, Corelli, both Scarlattis (I prefer Domenico). Not a huge list, but that's still a ton of music from some very prolific composers.

—Alorael, whose favorite CD for years has been Symphonie Imaginaire. It's Marc Minkowski and the Musicians of the Louvre assembling Rameau opera pieces into a kind of faux symphony. It's beautiful.

Goodness, am I glad I necro'd this.

solid bluegrass

Alison Krauss and Union Station are fantastic. I wish I had access to my music library, because I could easily go through and pick some things out to recommend; as it is, I'm failing utterly at anything else coming to mind (except for country, which isn't quite what you're asking after).

Whatcha think about this?

I've been listening to the incredibly

today. Possibly the best singer to come out in years.