What Are You Listening To?

Actaeon

Originally Posted By: Terribly Ernest
Originally Posted By: waterplant
Laura Marling - her lyrics are so wonderful.

Yes.

(Don't have much else to add; nobody wants me to spew up my listening habits in the middle of a conversation about a genre I know little of, but a high-five was required.)

I do. Checking out what other people are listening to is a good way to discover new music. That's what this thread is for! smile

Spew-away dear!

*high five* back.

Okay then. According to Last.fm, which I still leave running in the background for when these threads come up, in the last quarter, "I was into indie, female vocalists, rock, folk and singer-songwriter, including:

Laura Marling, Emmy the Great, The Civil Wars, Regina Spektor, The Beatles, Frank Turner, The Smiths, Morrissey, Jenny Owen Youngs, Go Sailor, Radiohead, R.E.M., Sigur Rós, Caitlin Rose, Sharon Van Etten, The Jam, The Libertines, KT Tunstall, The Vaccines, Bob Dylan, Blondie, The Strokes, Cat Power, The Kooks, Foster The People, The Cure, Mazzy Star, Elliott Smith, Fleetwood Mac, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Guns N' Roses, Squeeze, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beautiful South, OK Go, Kimya Dawson, Arcade Fire, Love Of Lesbian, Jaymay, The Fratellis."

This is the link to my last.fm, which lists my wider tastes, if anybody cares to look, but I would recommend all of the above if not.

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
Alison Krauss and Union Station are fantastic. I wish I had access to my music library, because I could easily go through and pick some things out to recommend; as it is, I'm failing utterly at anything else coming to mind (except for country, which isn't quite what you're asking after).
Oh wow, how did I forget Union Station? Union Station is good. And while we're on the subject of Alison Krauss, check out Raising Sand and the soundtrack of O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

Raising Sand is a middling to excellent album. Most of the songs are okay, in my opinion, but there's a few (Please Read the Letter, Trampled Rose (an AMAZING Tom Waits cover), and Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us) that make it worth getting.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is indeed an excellent soundtrack. Certainly one of my favourites. (Others would include The Animatrix and Dr. Horrible.)

I've got

playing. I love it - German choir music with a techno bent. Add a Hellsing AMV? Oh, Hoelle ja! laugh

Speaking of choral music--and the earlier examples of genre bending--the Scala & Kolacny Brothers take on Radiohead's Creep is moving (or perhaps not, depending on your opinion of Radiohead, in general, and the song Creep, in particular.) They are a Belgian girl's choir, and have covered many other artists. The brothers are the conductor and the accompanist.

Caution: NSFW from about one minute in (f-bomb)

An edited version was used in the trailer for The Social Network. I've also heard this covered by a Swedish group by the name of Vega Choir.

Originally Posted By: stranger
I think I prefer listening to Radiohead music as played by Radiohead.

I feel like the issues of covers and sampling could be a thread unto themselves. I cannot for the life of me figure out what makes me either like a cover (like Norah Jones doing Tom Waits) or cringe (like most Beatles covers I've ever heard).

Originally Posted By: Lilith
chrissie hynde of The Pretenders
of Creep too. it's p good i think (and not just in an ironic sense like the last thing i posted was)

That is pretty good. I like Chrissie Hynde, and I like Radiohead, but I'd never heard that cover before.

On the issue of covers more widely, eh. On the other hand, Jeff Buckley has covered
my favourite
, and did a pretty good job. And, obviously,

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne
Onto Rammstein now. Apparently I have a thing for Germans?

These guys are pretty great. I'm not that impressed with Liebe ist fur alle da though.

I'm also starting to get into Iron Maiden. I have sorta liked them for a while, but I only had 2 of their songs until recently.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
I feel like the issues of covers and sampling could be a thread unto themselves. I cannot for the life of me figure out what makes me either like a cover (like Norah Jones doing Tom Waits) or cringe (like most Beatles covers I've ever heard).

I think the most important thing for me in terms of liking a cover is how much the covering artist brings to the song. If they don't add anything to it, there's no point for me to listen to that instead of the original (unless there is an improvement in technical skill or I have a preference for one voice over another). Of course, there's still the subjectivity of liking what the covering artist brought to the original, but that's just general taste in music. Covers I particularly like off the top of my head are Garbage's cover of
, Emilie Autumn's cover of Girls Just Want to Have Fun (complete with harpsichord), and Yidcore's cover of the entirety of Fiddler on the Roof as rock/metal, which I can't find on Youtube. Tevye's Dream is their best from that project for those who are interested though.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
It's even more impressive when you realize that he made up that arrangement on the spot.

[citation needed], 'cause I'mma call shenanigans on that.

Edit: Okay, I found the video where you got that idea from. He says,

Quote:
Although, we only had a small window [of opportunity] when I was home, and, so everything was one take, and everything was, I just came up with the arrangement and, right, film me, go, and that's how we did it.

So more likely: he worked out a rough arrangement, and rather than go the usual route of refine, refine, refine, he just jammed with it on the spot. That's a little different than what you're saying. (Sorry if I'm being pedantic.)