My engagement and my website!

The Almighty Doer of Stuff

EDIT:(I guess everyone knows now, so I don't need the old thread title. Here it is anyway, below. Also, scroll down to find out about my new website! http://ados.ermarian.net/ )

For those who haven't noticed already, I have something to say.

See if you can guess what.

Hint 1

Hint 2

Hint 3:

Click to reveal..
Look at her left hand.

Click to reveal..
I am now betrothed. grin

Congratulations!

Enjoy being engaged — it's a fun time. Part of the fun is that while you're engaged, it feels as though the whole world is congratulating you for this wonderful special state you're in.

The funny part is that as soon as you actually get married, you suddenly stop being special. You'll have become just another married couple exactly like everyone else.

But that's just the thing. When you're single, being married is NOT being 'just like everyone else'. When you're single, nobody else is married, either. Married people might as well be martians. You don't really know any of them. They're not part of your world, they don't count as real people, you hardly ever think about them.

Once you've been married a few years, this will all have switched around. Somehow, between friends getting married too, making new married friends, and drifting away from single friends with whom it's now awkward to socialize as a couple, most people you know will be married. Marriage will be the default state. The meaningful issue will be whether or not you have kids. Single people might as well be martians.

One reads about how societies need rituals to recognize life passages and blah blah blah. The point I never got until I experienced this is that it's not just a matter of everyone else recognizing that two people have changed their state and role. It's also that the marrying couple are making an enormous change in how they think about everyone else. It doesn't happen overnight; it takes a few years to be complete. But the biggest step is made over the engagement.

You are now en route to Mars. When you get there, it will be Earth.

SoT, i must congratulte you on that typed speach, it gave me chills while watching quick draw mcgraw, which for anyone's information is a hard thing to do to me. that last part is going in my sig to remember that.

oh yea and Doer of Stuff congrats to you also.

i have a feeling for myself that i will never marry anybody, but as i am 14 and never had a girlfriend even that would be an impossible guess to be made accurately.

I have another piece of good news:

http://ados.ermarian.net/

My website is finally up! It has all sorts of fancy stuff on it! Games, music, art, fanciness!

*goes to update thread title*

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about the question! Sorry, it's late and I'm tired and I should be in bed.

I didn't actually give the speech. I showed it to Nicothodes after I showed you, and she liked it too, so I started to practice it.

However, as I read it aloud I realized it sounded fake and forced. It wasn't something I would say, but it was something I would write.

So we were at the Butterfly Garden at the Museum of Science in Boston, and we were talking to the attendants and looking at the butterflies, and as usual I was squealing with joy at the sight of the butterflies. We saw a butterfly fall on its back shortly after it had come out of its chrysalis, so we told the attendant and someone came and got it hanging on to something again, so we sort of saved its life. Then a guy came up to the attendant with two big brown butterflies sitting on his shoulder in mating. He asked how long he'd have to stay there, and the attendant said they'd be stuck to each other like that for hours, but that if he wanted to go he could pluck them off his shoulder, and he did and put them on a plant.

Anyway, we looked at the butterflies some more, and had a good time. I said to her, "I love you." She said, "I love you too." I said "You make me so happy." and she said I made her happy too. I told her I wished I could find something to say that could express the way I feel about her and how much she means to me. She liked that, and then I mentioned how for our whole relationship, textual communication was very important, as we spend a lot of time talking on AIM, and how I sometimes express myself better in writing than in speech. She agreed, and so I said, "I wrote something a while back that I wanted to say to you here, but when I read it to myself it sounded fake and forced, like something I would write but not say. I actually printed it out. Could you read it?" She said yes, so I took the paper out of my wallet and handed it to her, telling her to read the whole thing without looking up, and then look up at me when she was finished. As she did that, I pulled the ring box out of my pocket, and held it in my hands so she couldn't see it. When she finished and looked up at me, I opened my hands, and her eyes lit up. I opened the box, showed her the ring, and asked her to marry me, and she said yes! She grabbed the ring out of the box and put it on, which is good because I couldn't remember which hand to put it on. tongue Then the attendants took pictures for us, and we went on our way because it was hot and humid in there.

EDIT 2: Oh, and she liked what I wrote, even though I handed it to her in printed form.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
I have another piece of good news:

http://ados.ermarian.net/

My website is finally up! It has all sorts of fancy stuff on it! Games, music, art, fanciness!

*goes to update thread title*
POOH-POOH! I DEMAND THE RETURN OF THE OMBUDSMAN PAGE!

Oh, and congratulations!

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
So we were at the Butterfly Garden at the Museum of Science in Boston, and we were talking to the attendants and looking at the butterflies, and as usual I was squealing with joy at the sight of the butterflies. We saw a butterfly fall on its back shortly after it had come out of its chrysalis, so we told the attendant and someone came and got it hanging on to something again, so we sort of saved its life. Then a guy came up to the attendant with two big brown butterflies sitting on his shoulder in mating. He asked how long he'd have to stay there, and the attendant said they'd be stuck to each other like that for hours, but that if he wanted to go he could pluck them off his shoulder, and he did and put them on a plant.

Anyway, we looked at the butterflies some more, and had a good time. I said to her, "I love you." She said, "I love you too." I said "You make me so happy." and she said I made her happy too. I told her I wished I could find something to say that could express the way I feel about her and how much she means to me. She liked that, and then I mentioned how for our whole relationship, textual communication was very important, as we spend a lot of time talking on AIM, and how I sometimes express myself better in writing than in speech. She agreed, and so I said, "I wrote something a while back that I wanted to say to you here, but when I read it to myself it sounded fake and forced, like something I would write but not say. I actually printed it out. Could you read it?" She said yes, so I took the paper out of my wallet and handed it to her, telling her to read the whole thing without looking up, and then look up at me when she was finished. As she did that, I pulled the ring box out of my pocket, and held it in my hands so she couldn't see it. When she finished and looked up at me, I opened my hands, and her eyes lit up. I opened the box, showed her the ring, and asked her to marry me, and she said yes! She grabbed the ring out of the box and put it on, which is good because I couldn't remember which hand to put it on. tongue Then the attendants took pictures for us, and we went on our way because it was hot and humid in there.

aww thats so nice. smile

good job on your website too.