Favorite Geneforge Game[G5]

Acky

G1 for much the same reasons Slarty mentioned. It's just completely compelling, absorbing, and full of innocence. (The later Geneforges lack the innocence.) However, for playability and engine, I vote G5 hands down.

I bought Avernum 5 and thought this might emerge as a favorite. I really loved it! Well, I did ... until... I could not continue beyond the Vahanti lands. I'm not sure why. One day I when I was at that point I walked away and never went back.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Actually, I prefer the living tool usage in 1. You could use just a few of the total and then the unlock spell for the rest!

Yes tool use in G1 was the best of the series.

I'd rank them G1, G4, G2, G5, G3. G5 isn't terrible but of what I've played so far, I've not enjoyed as much as 1, 4 and 2.

I liked G1 the best, for reasons like which have already been stated. G3 was my second favorite. I don't know why people seem to not like that one as much. Tnen 2, then 5 (demo only thus far), though this just does not run tolerably on my computer and is maddening at times. I may not buy the full version because of this, when the rest ran great. G4 was my least favorite of the series.

So, G1, G3, G2, G5, G4.

Micah

Originally Posted By: Master1
The only two that I can recall well enough are 5 and 4, and they are both fantastic.
I never played 3, and it seems I didn't miss much.
I really liked 2 and 1, but it has been a while and i can't deal with the engines now that I've seen 4 and 5's engines.

G3 was available on (I think) RealArcade and was the first Spiderweb game I'd seen. It hooked me right away.

I'm looking forward to Jeff remaking all the early games with G5's tech!

Quote:

This is highly unlikely. It takes at least a year for Jeff to program these games, and the sales wouldn't be that great. I can't imagine people wanting to buy the games again, and if they were free it would be a huge waste of time.

Originally Posted By: Lawful Duck *shifty glance*
Quote:

This is highly unlikely. It takes at least a year for Jeff to program these games, and the sales wouldn't be that great. I can't imagine people wanting to buy the games again, and if they were free it would be a huge waste of time.

Which is why sales in the Avernum Series went horribly...

Besides, I recall asking Jeff if he was going to update them. And he said he would, eventually.

Originally Posted By: Lawful Duck *shifty glance*
It takes at least a year for Jeff to program these games, and the sales wouldn't be that great.

This is patently untrue. Nethergate: Resurrection is EXACTLY what is described here: Nethergate (1997) remade with BoA's (2004) engine in 2007, and that took Jeff something like 4 months IIRC -- AND it didn't delay his regular schedule of 1 brand new game every 12 months, so it was essentially a "bonus" and had no need for jaw-dropping sales figures.

The #1 way for people to get irritated with you, Duck, is to post your guesses about something but talk about it as if you know the truth and are 100% sure.

I believe he was under the idea that because A1-3 has/will take about a year to make, the remade Geneforge series would take about the same amount of time. I don't believe he took into account that A1-3 has a seperate engine (please correct me if I'm wrong) and would therefore take longer.

The Last Archon

It is hard to rank them because each offers a different "best" aspect. G1 has a great story, G2 offers great flexibility to choose, G3 develops the plot of the war and the characters that come to lead it, G4 has an improved interface, and G5 has it all. So I would say:

G5-G2-G1-G4-G3

G5 really has the best of all of the games. G1 and G2 are close so I would really say they're tied.

From best to worst imo:

G1: Best of them all, hands down. Even with its atrocious gameplay (compared to G4 and beyond) and lack of spells, I still can't resist it. Plus the geneforge, the big secret and the final boss of the inner crypt make it even better.

Did I also mention that you have complete freedom when playing the game? Heck, you don't even have to join a faction to get that factions ending!

G5: I like G2 as much as G5, but G5's gameplay give it the edge. All around awesome, but the fact that you can't use an Uber Geneforge like the one in 1 spoils the experience a tidbit for me (I know it is hinted that the PC had used one at some point or the other, but even so...). I also don't like the fact that you can't have a satisfying "you blow everyone up and eventually everything starts over" unaligned ending. I also really don't find any of the factions particularly likeable except Alwan's, and that makes multiple playthroughs a bit hard for me.

G2: Runner-up for second spot, even though there is no human-compatible geneforge here, the factions are probably the most interesting of the 5 games. There is the guilt ridden shaper, the cool (mostly) peaceful Awakened, the takers (I don't really like them, but I can kill them so that's a plus), and of course the greatest faction that has ever existed in any geneforge game: the Barzites. God help whoever tries to defy the Barzites.

G4: Nice new interface, but the lack of different factions made it grow old too fast. Still pretty good, and worthy of a few playthroughs.

G3: I didn't find it BAD, but it certainly wasn't as good as all the other geneforges. The lack of different factions and the island system were it's worst flaws, but even so I really enjoyed playing as a canister addicted shaper whose sole purpose in life was to destroy ALL rebels.

So here's a follow-up question. How well do you think the five Geneforge games have sold?

G3, for example, has been towards the bottom of most of these lists -- not due to being hated, just due to not being liked as much as other games -- but I think Jeff said at some point that its sales were quite good.

It's pretty early to say which has been the most success financially if we are not excluding G5, but I'd have to say G1 has sold the most. It's been around the longest, and of one was to get interested in the series, most people would by logic start from the beginning. I sort of doubt any of the other 4 will ever really catch up.

The Last Archon

I've only played through the first three, though I intend to play through the fourth and fifth after I'm finished with them again.

1. G3 - Island system was annoying and, as Jeff admitted, it was the same damn game as the other two, but it's still my favorite. For starters, it takes the gameplay improvement from G2 and combines it with a graphics and interface upgrade. Secondly, I found its atmosphere much more refined than in the other two. Maybe it was just the setting, but the fact that your character was now part of a budding war meant chosing a side, rather than playing the different factions against each other. There isn't always a best route, which this game stressed more than the other two. I fully understand why people don't like it as much though.

2. G1 - Most interesting story, but suffers from lousy gameplay. Also suffers from the fact that joining the Awakened means losing almost all exposition on the plot. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm just saying it isn't fun to play as an Awakened. I would have prefered less land to explore and more things to do with the different factions on the island.

3. G2 - I played this maybe 2-3 years ago, so I don't remember it very well. Fixes some of the problems from G1 but isn't as interesting. When I play through again, I'll focus more on the dialogue rather than just running through the game.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
most people would by logic start from the beginning.

Not necessarily true. Jeff puts enough information about previous games into the current one that you can play a sequel without playing the games before it and not miss much. Also, the earlier games lack some of the interface improvements of the later games, so it makes sense to skip the earliest installment if that's an issue.

Most importantly, I think it just depends which game you run across first, especially if you're someone who buys just a few Spiderweb games instead of most of them. I know I found A2 first and didn't get around to playing A1 until years later.

Dikiyoba.

Perhaps not "most", but certainly more than zero, and those people might will tip the balance in favor of G1. I guess the counterbalance would be the possibility that the later games have gotten better exposure (including from people who start in the middle and don't go back to the beginning).

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
most people would by logic start from the beginning.

Not necessarily true. Jeff puts enough information about previous games into the current one that you can play a sequel without playing the games before it and not miss much. Also, the earlier games lack some of the interface improvements of the later games, so it makes sense to skip the earliest installment if that's an issue.

Most importantly, I think it just depends which game you run across first, especially if you're someone who buys just a few Spiderweb games instead of most of them. I know I found A2 first and didn't get around to playing A1 until years later.

Dikiyoba.

Sss. You forget that history is distorted in Geneforge. The history about what happened on Ssucia, even from the mouth of the servile who was there, isn't quite accurate. I don't recall him mentioning exactly who was there, rather just "Outsiderss". He didn't mention Trakjov or Geotessch. Though, I admit it hass been a long time ssince I've played Geneforge 4, sso please correct me if I am wrong, Fyora. Though I will concede to the interface point.

And I am not a human. I am a Drakye.

I haven't played them all, which may rule me out, but I'll agree that G1 has the best demo of the bunch plotwise. It sets up an interesting world, interesting people, and apparently an interesting set of conflicts that will expand into a five game series. G5 does well with its air of mystery and amnesia, but it doesn't hold up as well (or so I hear).

Which ones have I played, though? G4 and G5. I couldn't get past the gameplay earlier. Maybe I could now.

—Alorael, who ought to go back and try it. G1 at the very least deserves a real play-through.

Originally Posted By: Neossokrass
You forget that history is distorted in Geneforge. The history about what happened on Ssucia, even from the mouth of the servile who was there, isn't quite accurate.

That's not what I meant. You don't get every little detail from previous games, but you do get enough that you aren't completely lost.

Quote:
please correct me if I am wrong, Fyora

Please do not refer to Dikiyoba as "Fyora". Use Dikiyoba or Diki instead. Thank you.

1)Geneforge 5

I just started but I still love the beginning of the story. Plus the new engine and widescreen resolutions don't hurt either. tongue

2)Geneforge 2

The only Geneforge I've finished so far. The game had the best factions IMO and just drew me in. Plus I loved the Barzites and their lust for power.

3)Geneforge 1

Although the engine is old, the story is still outstanding. The sense of mystery really helped it.

4)Geneforge 3

The island system was annoying and there were not a lot of choices. All you had were the rebels and the shapers.

5)Geneforge 4

I'm just getting into this game and I like it, I just don't like the fact that you start out as a rebel and even when you DO become a shaper, they think of you as a repulsive tool.

Quote:
I'm just getting into this game and I like it, I just don't like the fact that you start out as a rebel and even when you DO become a shaper, they think of you as a repulsive tool.

Sss. You really didn't love that part? It gave me ssuch a realistic feeling, that I really was a humanoid, struggling to ssurivive in a war torn asylum.

Oh, humanoid's. I loathe them.

Come on Sspiderweb! Give me a Drayke, or at least a Drayk class.

A fairly consistent trend emerges from the ten entries so far that rank all five games:

Average rank (#1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)

1) G1: 1.6 (7, 0, 3, 0 ,0)

2) G5: 2.4 (2, 5, 0, 3, 0)

3) G2: 2.7 (1, 2, 6, 1, 0)

4) G4: 3.7 (0, 2, 1, 5, 2)

5) G3: 4.6 (0, 1, 0, 1, 8)

Additionally, people tended to cite the same favourite things about each game:

G1 - the atmosphere, story, characters, and freedom

G5 - the game engine

G2 - the factions and freedom

G4 - the game engine; the "grittier" plot received both positive and negative comments

G3 - people disliked the island/boat system and the story

What's interesting about this is that the results are WAY more uniform than when people have been asked to compare all the Avernums, or even just the three Exile games.

Geneforge 5 outclasses the first only by the engine. Everything else with those two is awesome by my standards. The first, since it's the Alpha and the last, since it's the Omega, the beginning and the end of a story. A story that you can warp at will, except none really affects the beginning of the next chapter, only the fifth does make a difference. The first had this "I'm lost, I must survive" feeling, and even though my father has a boat and commonly goes fishing, I was desperate for one the whole time I've spent on Sucia Island.

Then there was Geneforge 4 in third place. The only real reason was because it happens inside of Terrestia and not some barren island, unknown zone or strange archipelago of various little lands. I liked how we ever got closer to the Shaper Citadel with each chapter.

The fourth was Geneforge 3. I actually liked the island system, though it could've been improved for faster travels, but I felt that fulfilling feeling from finally getting loads of boats. See Geneforge 1.

The last was Geneforge 2. No particular reason, but it was the first I got, and I have to say, even though sometimes I've been trying to get through once again, I always abandoned in the first zones. Maybe I just played it too much.

If possible, fifth and first would be both #1, fourth and third would be both #2 and the second would be #3.

G5, G1, G4, G3, G2