What about the old forums?

adc.

What will have become of our Old Nation? Will it become a desolated place, sinking at infinite fathoms under the many, many living websites?

----------

Of course, Jeff would not leave it lying around, just about anywhere. Will it be deleted? Or will it remain an ancient destination for years to come?

----------

-Guido Fawkes

Of course, Jeff would not leave it lying around, just about anywhere. Will it be deleted? Or will it remain an ancient destination for years to come?

I suspect that it is the second case, It seems that UBB is still much more popular among guests, at the time I posted this, there were like 4 guests in IPB and 111 in UBB.

Hm but I don't suppose there is practically any reason for keeping the old boards though, now that you can't post over there anymore.

There are a couple of reasons to keep them around for a while longer. The big one is that not all the private messages got carried over from the old board to the new, so the old needs to stay so that people can recover them.

It will age like a fine wine and then we can all become inebriated from its fermented, stale loveliness.

Alcoholic beverages are weird.

Dikiyoba.

I've read that few wines improve with age, even among very good wines, and very few improve with long aging. If age does help a wine, I think you usually get most of the benefit in the first year or two, and after that it just declines.

We got six bottles of Châteauneuf du Pape once, on a magical spur-of-the-moment trip through southern France, and it was unpleasantly woody-tasting in the year we bought it, to the point that we felt we'd been suckered. But it miraculously became yummy after two more years in our kitchen cupboard. The last bottles weren't any better in year three, maybe even not quite as good. That's about it for my experience of good aging in wine, though, and I've also had wine I liked turn bland and watery after sitting too long in the basement. It could just have been that the bottle I kept was different from the one I drank sooner, but I doubt it.

I'm basically a screw-top wine drinker. There are plenty of people with much more discriminating palates than mine, but there are also plenty of people who are just playing Emperor's New Clothes. Unless you're sure you know what you're doing, I'd say you should probably just drink up anything you've had for more than a year — and prepare to be disappointed when you do. But if you buy more than one bottle of something and it tastes harsh right away, you might want to give the remaining bottles another year, and not give up hope.

Does it age differently if it's box wine?

—Alorael, who likes having the old forums around for nostalgia, and they'll almost certainly be there for a while yet. On the wine note, he hasn't cultivated a fine palate for wine and doesn't see any compelling reason to do so. He did plot deliciousness versus cost and found that the cheapest wines were often bad, but past the $10 bottle point there are wines he enjoys thoroughly, and past $25 or so a bottle he just can't tell the difference. He now happily drinks cheap wine unless he has pressing need to impress someone of more refined taste.

Box wine has a high sulphur content to prevent oxidation, as the wine will presumably be consumed over a longer period than an openeed bottle. It also causes nastier hangovers. It definitely will age differently!

if it takes you more than a night to finish a box of wine you're doing it wrong

In few other countries can you go out with your own bottle and get it filled with brandy, or buy drive-through wine.

That was one of the biggest shocks to me when I lived in Chile. Go you McDonald's for an avocado burger or KFC for an avocado wrap and they ask you if you want a beer to go with it. The beer cup sizes were also huge compared to the soda cup sizes. You could get a litter beer for crying out loud. And down there it seemed that boxed wine was the wine of choice. Everyone I knew seemed to drink that over bottled wine.

Why do we need to have the old forums still there anyways? Why do we need an archive when you can just as easily reach those pages from these new forums?

http://spiderwebforu...topic/12383-2k/

See that? That is Tyranicus's old 2K milestone topic. I grabbed that By going to page 22 of general. That was from 2009. We can easily reach the same topics from here than the UBB

Edited by I like bananas. Bananas are good.

There are a couple of reasons to keep them around for a while longer. The big one is that not all the private messages got carried over from the old board to the new, so the old needs to stay so that people can recover them.
Edited by Sylae
This post brought to you by the "here, let me read the topic for you" service.

As noted above, Trenton, some things are not accessible, including private messages and, I've noticed, some things that are available are not indexed for searching. Besides which, having a backup is far from a bad thing. Eventually, perhaps, it will merge with PPP, but in the mean time it'll do the job as is.

Edit: Sniped, and more succinctly at that.

My sweetie, Australians follow different rules in these things. In few other countries can you go out with your own bottle and get it filled with brandy, or buy drive-through wine.

My in-laws are French. When we go visit, my father-in-law and I go to the store where he works (kinda of a hardware and garden store, but they also sell booze and clothes) and fill up a few jugs of wine from their big vats. That usually gets us through lunch ...

Spiderwebbers, in general, seem more inclined than their contemporaries not to drink. That's a gross generalization, of course. I know of several prominent members who partake frequently and with gusto. I considered doing a poll, but decided it would be hard to make family friendly, considering how many people are underage.

A bookmark does wonders. :)

As a young child, I decided I would go into business as a bookmark salesman. I took several sheets of construction paper of various colors, and cut them into bookmarks of various sizes and shapes, with all sorts of spikes and spirals and deep nooks and the like along the edges. I priced them according to size. The one that cost one hundred dollars was cut from an entire 8.5inx11in sheet of black construction paper. I was dismayed when my mother yelled at me and told me to stop wasting paper and that I wasn't allowed to sell construction paper bookmarks that won't fit in any normal book for $100. :(

As a young child, I decided I would go into business as a bookmark salesman. I took several sheets of construction paper of various colors, and cut them into bookmarks of various sizes and shapes, with all sorts of spikes and spirals and deep nooks and the like along the edges. I priced them according to size. The one that cost one hundred dollars was cut from an entire 8.5inx11in sheet of black construction paper. I was dismayed when my mother yelled at me and told me to stop wasting paper and that I wasn't allowed to sell construction paper bookmarks that won't fit in any normal book for $100. :(

You should have claimed the paper was made from recycled Egyptian papyrus from King Tut's tomb and marketed it at a wine-tasting festival.

I'll pass on the wine tasting, thanks.

I had my fill of wine by the ripe old age of 14, when I was an altar boy at my church. When I was about 12, we got a new pastor, and he wanted wine served with communion. The congregation wasn't used to the idea, so there was usually a lot left over. You can't put it back in the bottle; and you're not supposed to just pour it down the sink; so the only real option was to finish it off. I was volunteered to help on several occasions, and I'm just glad I always had a designated driver, since sometimes I would come out of the sacristy with quite a buzz.

There's nothing like waking up to a good whiskey.
A breakfast can still be just a brandy, though.

—Alorael

505154_Tin-Sign-Ephemera--Beer-for-Dinner.jpg