GF5 page up

Interesting changes in the interface. *ugh* Only 36 slots in inventory backpack and I wonder how many will get wasted with essential swappable gear and charms.

I will have to wait to see how screen size affects the display. It looks like you can move some of those smaller screens (automap) to keep them out of the way.

Oh, no! Not the darkness! All that black, I was afraid it would go in this direction... not that I don't love darkness, but I think I've seen one too many dark-graphic games.... Also, why does this character seem to be costumed up like an Oriental assassin?

That aside, the graphics are really quite nice, and the interface looks good, too, and what looks like movable windows are a nice touch if they're truly movable windows (and I like the shrinkable/expandable roster)... and it's nice that we're now going to have light-casting ability... among other things, I'm sure. Nice is obviously the operative word, here. Improved animation, too? I hope so. I do like the floaty quality of the protagonist, as well.

I just wish it weren't so dark... black is a beautiful color but it's also a powerful color and can suck a person in and drown him or her without much ceremony, if one isn't careful with its application.

I love the layout of the new UI, but man, the dark parts are just ugly. Blech.

Also, this new character feet blend into the ground. It looks kind of like he's floating. Something needs to be done about the shadows that characters cast, blech.

EDIT: didn't notice this before, but oh my god, that new floor tiles horribly. the pattern is grating upon the eyes.

I like the dark interface. Geneforge is a dark game at times, it fits. I hope that's not the new shaper graphic but instead somethings else, but I suppose I could live with it as it is. Go Jeff!

Originally Posted By: Reprogrambait
—Alorael, who also now knows that shapers, or something like them, have eyes. It's important.

They had eyes back in the original two Geneforges, scary red ones. Actually, I miss the original Shaper graphic, especially since most of the concept art tends to show shapers wearing the classic open robes, rather than the closed ones they wear in the new graphics.

Yeah, that's my only complaint is the black background for the interface/dialog boxes. I know it's supposed to be a "dark" game and all, but wouldn't dark gray or something like that get the point across just as well without inflicting undue eyestrain?

Other than that...

WANT!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Did anyone else notice that there a five factions, each with their own beliefs, *cities*, and quests.

Does this mean there will be a town, or maybe city of Trakovites?

Not strictly. I remember hearing that there were five game-winning factions as well as some non-game-winning factions. I assume that the five sects he refers to are the game-winning ones. If Trakovites aren't game-winning, then they might not have their own city.

EDIT:

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
I like the dark interface. Geneforge is a dark game at times, it fits. I hope that's not the new shaper graphic but instead somethings else, but I suppose I could live with it as it is. Go Jeff!

I agree. Maybe it's the missing Strong Magic/Weak Combat class? Not that that would be an incredible unit, but it would be fun for a challenge.

Hooray, I am so excited about Geneforge 5! I for one like the new look, looks very professional; I think the dark is atmospheric (I really liked the A5 soultaker pit) & if it does get too dark to play I can always turn up my brightness. With it being resizeable and all, it will be really very cool.

I just have one request (made before but worth repeating): please can the commands quicksave and quickload not be adjacent keys on the keyboard!