Brief Geneforge 4 Update

Working on section 50 out of, probably, 81.

By popular request, I have put Khyryk into the game. I didn't originally intend to, but when I saw that people wanted him back, I realized that he really, really should be there. He is the character that introduces the ideas that are becoming very important to the series.

Also, his dialogue is fun to write.

Also, items in your pack no longer contribute to weight. Items you wear do. Your squishy caster type in full plate won't move so good. This was a suggestion made on these boards, and I liked it.

So you see? Sometimes posts on these boards do make a difference.

- Jeff Vogel

Thanks to the new weight scheme I can pile on the equipment into the pack and switch out as needed. I'm trying to remember what they called the Dungeons & Dragon character that had a backpack twice his size.

Edit: I think the miniature figure was the complete dungeoneer. Although the complete packrat was more accurate.

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
Well, since you're not a Shaper, the classes have to be different.
Well yes, that was why I was asking. I am wondering if the same sets of strong/medium/weak skillsets will just be applied to renamed classes.

I would also find it very neat if there was an infiltraitor class that paid less skill points for mechanics, leadership, and luck.

Don't even bother putting points into Groveling or Grape Peeling as a human. You won't get anywhere.

—Alorael, who thinks he can avoid having the SEP goons sent to his house if he reveals that GF4 follows the Spiderweb tradition of flexible characters. Your servile is good at some things and bad at others, but you can still do everything that a human can do. Except talk back to the Shapers, because they're really not into that.

I often find myself thinking that the missing sixth class is exactly what I'm playing as, only with less efficient use of skill points. Now I suspect that I'm about to run into a cold, hard wall of character misuse.

—Alorael, who wonders what Synergy's metaphor has to say about that. Some people just struggle their whole lives to be good at the things that just aren't in them and end up being worthless?

Serviles are better at crafting than humans... at least it appears that way in the game. So tool use bonus probably. They should also be better at sneaking around. Less visible, more dexterity. That is my guess. They seem to make all the really powerful items for the rogue creations.

It would be interesting to have something about this. They seem to be able to make some really cool things. It would be interesting to see why this is possible. When the magic side gets suppressed it causes the technical side to go haywire. It might be interesting to see a mad servile craftsman or two capable of making some really crazy stuff.

I somehow don't think the giant dragons, or the floating eyes could really make the delicate instruments like pylon controls or microscope pieces very well.

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
So you see? Sometimes posts on these boards do make a difference.
Is very clever to say. smile

Quote:
Also, items in your pack no longer contribute to weight. Items you wear do. Your squishy caster type in full plate won't move so good. This was a suggestion made on these boards, and I liked it.
This is even better. The encumbereance was very annoying.

------

PS: I'm not back, actually.

Quote:
Originally written by Spaghetti is a toy.:
I often find myself thinking that the missing sixth class is exactly what I'm playing as, only with less efficient use of skill points. Now I suspect that I'm about to run into a cold, hard wall of character misuse.

—Alorael, who wonders what Synergy's metaphor has to say about that. Some people just struggle their whole lives to be good at the things that just aren't in them and end up being worthless?
Clearly you don't require my interpretation. I'd say you've followed the metaphor through logically. I note the word worth-less. It's worth less, but I wouldn't say "goodfornuthin'." Perhaps a lovely talking doorstop...

I still think it wouldn't be much of handicap, but it might be if you had to play with a stick figure.

—Alorael, who thinks a real challenge would be a class that is okay at everything but not really good at anything. Or, for the truly masochistic, a class that is bad at everything!

Quote:
By popular request, I have put Khyryk into the game.

Also, items in your pack no longer contribute to weight. Items you wear do.
I just saw this thread, and I am once again excited about G4. Hallelujah for good design decisions!

This game is going to be great, and I look forward to having many inane, nitpicky conversations about character builds on this board.

Quote:
Originally written by Slarty:
Quote:
By popular request, I have put Khyryk into the game.

Also, items in your pack no longer contribute to weight. Items you wear do.
I just saw this thread, and I am once again excited about G4. Hallelujah for good design decisions!

This game is going to be great, and I look forward to having many inane, nitpicky conversations about character builds on this board.
Oh please come back!

Does anyone else like the graphic for Firebolt in GF1 then in gf2 and 3? I think its much better in the first one. It look like more of a bolt. The firebolt in the other ones look like more of a flamethrower.

Also, I'd like to see a Healing creature, like in the majic class. but they heal small amounts. but still, that would be sweet, id love it.

And be able to recruit more than just 2 allies. I liked the amount in GF2, but you couldnt control them, which caused much death. OK, im donenow bye.

Also, id like to see a new graphic for the drakon. Personally, i dont like the look. there is something missing. Oh well. Anyways, i love these games, GF4 is going to be sweet!

Hooray for Geneforge 4!

My silly proposal for the missing sixth class is a character who starts at level 40, but everytime they gain experience they go down a level and they have to use their skill points to reduce their skills. All creations attack the PC on sight so you are forced to reduce levels. The end game would be... interesting (i.e. you are at your weakest fighting the strongest enemies).

My serious proposal for GF4 is as follows: whenever you begin casting a spell and then an enemy comes into sight and combat mode starts, at present you forfeit the essence and energy but do not benefit from the spell effect. This strikes me as unfair. Either the spell should be completely aborted (i.e. you keep the essence and energy) or completed (i.e. the spell has effect). I don't like paying for nothing!

I would like to have more control over how my character looks. It would be neat to have pink hair, greeen skin, glowing red eyes, and bright purple pants. This might make the character more interesting. A shop where you can have your clothes dyed, your weapons colorized, etc. would be very nice.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
My silly proposal for the missing sixth class is a character who starts at level 40, but everytime they gain experience they go down a level and they have to use their skill points to reduce their skills. All creations attack the PC on sight so you are forced to reduce levels. The end game would be... interesting (i.e. you are at your weakest fighting the strongest enemies).
Or play through the game without paying any skill so they won't go up. laugh

That would make it soo much hard... anyone ever tried it? A Weakest Character Challenge? You can still equip items though. laugh

An insane idea. Why not have an intelligent spawner. Lets say it can generate various loyal creations that make it very hard to kill. You have to get past it, but it is too tough to kill. It gives you a bunch of seeds to plant to make other intelligent spawners--- you have to go to a very remote and deadly place to plant the seeds... Kind of like a much larger spawner, with eight mouth parts about the size of a small tree. Call it a tree of life...