Update the Code of Community?

Balladeer

As I was updating the layout of our CoCommunity I noticed some obsolete rules and incorrect member numbers and defunct links to vanished profiles. It has been six years since we created it and I wondered if the Community felt it was time to update it. Out with the old, in with the new to make it all blend nicer with the shiny coat of paint, as it were.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.

http://www.truesite4blades.com/coc.html

As I was updating the layout of our CoCommunity I noticed some obsolete rules and incorrect member numbers and defunct links to vanished profiles. It has been six years since we created it and I wondered if the Community felt it was time to update it. Out with the old, in with the new to make it all blend nicer with the shiny coat of paint, as it were.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.

http://www.truesite4...es.com/coc.html

Your first mistake was asking. Any good dictator will just change the law, rather than ask. And they'll do it on the sly, too. You should've just amended it, and then posted a link saying "hey, look what I found".

Of the old Administrators, only Stareye remains. (The others in the group are Spidweb, a generated account, and someone who might be IPS staff.) The rest, including Krizsan, are Global Moderators. There are too many of them to realistically list; the list also is subject to regular changes. Maybe rule #5 just needs to go.

a pile of bits to whomever can guess what i think the coc needs more of

hint: it's ponies

ponywarn.png

Your first mistake was asking. Any good dictator will just change the law, rather than ask. And they'll do it on the sly, too. You should've just amended it, and then posted a link saying "hey, look what I found".

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure if I exchanged my name for JV's somebody would notice. Something to keep in mind for next month, though... >:oK

Edit:Seriously, though. Looks like profile URL's now contain the user's current PDN so I'll just have to take out all of those links to member profiles... maybe replace them with a link to a post they've made, if any survive? Might have to update at every purge for that though.

Edit 2: Or maybe not. I guess it will redirect to the current PDN no matter what you have after the number and a dash. Now just to find their current member #'s.

We should put forward amendments to the CoC, and then debate the amendments and filibust it just to pick on each other for having a better an idea we didn't. I want a CoC that is unreadable as the laws of the lands and includes the political asshattery.

We were never quite at that level, but the original CoC was fairly legalistic in laying down infractions and punishments.

—Alorael, who laughs at all attempts to codify community. The best you can do is a Slartiferous catalogue of the past. Anything that attempts to be current will soon fall out of date unless it's constantly maintained. That said, your labeling of the obsolete bits is pretty good.

You may laugh, but we will attempt it anyway. You're right that they will always change, but not by much. I did have to update #18 because it gave you as an example for never getting a custom title. But Huzzah, no more, maybe there is hope for the masses.

Does anyone remember who #35 is supposed to be comparing TM to? I have Synergy at 4035 or Ben at 4027, Didn't look before 4000.

Edit: Then if we delete the obsolete rules, I'd like to have at least three replacement ones so I don't have to mess with the numbering. We can come up with three more, can't we?

I move that we introduce a measure which restricts all non-spiderweb memes, gimmicks, inside jokes, and references (including, but not limited to, punning, rhyming, alliteration, yo momma jokes, Dr Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wheel of Time, and ponies) to specified threads. Exceptions will be made for direct applicability to the subject at hand. Avatars, profiles, and custom titles are also exempt. Memes considered spiderweb-associated (and thus permissible in any context) include, but are not limited to: Fluffy Turtles, Alex's Cartoons, Dikiyoba's stories, Slarty vs Desk, Imban, GIFTs, Skribbane, Sniping Pedestrians, electing Alcritas.

I move that we introduce a measure which restricts all non-spiderweb memes, gimmicks, inside jokes, and references (including, but not limited to, punning, rhyming, alliteration, yo momma jokes, Dr Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wheel of Time, and ponies) to specified threads. Exceptions will be made for direct applicability to the subject at hand. Avatars, profiles, and custom titles are also exempt. Memes considered spiderweb-associated (and thus permissible in any context) include, but are not limited to: Fluffy Turtles, Alex's Cartoons, Dikiyoba's stories, Slarty vs Desk, Imban, GIFTs, Skribbane, Sniping Pedestrians, electing Alcritas.

Fillybustered. :p

Does anyone remember who #35 is supposed to be comparing TM to? I have Synergy at 4035 or Ben at 4027, Didn't look before 4000.

Rule 35 is referring to Kelandon.

(Also, UBB member numbers and IPB member numbers don't correlate at all, so any old references to member numbers are better off searched for on the UBB forum site or in Aran's PPP.)

Dikiyoba.

Rules that are now obsolete: 13, 17, 18, 20, 33, 34, 42. And possibly 39.

Rules that need editing: 4 and 5 (Jeff and Mariann share the Spidweb account while the Krizsan account is obsolete. Spidweb and *i are the only active admin accounts.), 16 (the actions described are all still considered spam, but canning people is obsolete. I recommend keeping 16 current and using obsolete rule 17 to explain canning.), 37 (update to my correct gender).

Dikiyoba recommends not deleting the obsolete rules. They're important snippets of SW history.

I think the "comparing TM and Kel endangers fluffy kittens" bit was from me, actually.

(Also, UBB member numbers and IPB member numbers don't correlate at all, so any old references to member numbers are better off searched for on the UBB forum site or in Aran's PPP.)

They maintain the same ordering (with a few exceptions I suspect). But there is indeed no function to convert them. Note that the UBB member numbers on PPP and those on the current UBB are already diverged, with a steadily increasing gap due to deletion and reindexing. My 2984 became 2975.

just use an <ol> and it'll do the numbers for you

Good idea. Just need to add some CSS code and such...

Edit: But not happening. It will not let me have the number AND a list style image for each <li> and I do not intend on spending all the time it would take to position each of those squares individually wherever I have a list.

Rules that are now obsolete: 13, 17, 18, 20, 33, 34, 42. And possibly 39.

Rules that need editing: 4 and 5 (Jeff and Mariann share the Spidweb account while the Krizsan account is obsolete. Spidweb and *i are the only active admin accounts.), 16 (the actions described are all still considered spam, but canning people is obsolete. I recommend keeping 16 current and using obsolete rule 17 to explain canning.), 37 (update to my correct gender).

Dikiyoba recommends not deleting the obsolete rules. They're important snippets of SW history.

For #5 I've deleted reference to everyone except *i and just let #4 speak for the Spidweb account. I think it flows better. #13 I think is still valid. We don't have any harsh trolls any more but I still see posts I would consider troll-ish. And troll-ish behaviour is reprimanded much quicker for new members even if not officially given. To update #16 I'll need the current policy/standard actions for reprimanding spammers. And while 'CANNED' may be obsolete, is being banned for excessive spammage after warnings not still valid in #17? 18 may do better with an addendum. Drakey may not give out the custom titles any more but the not getting one if asked for is still valid. #33 Bablefishing is not common anymore but it is still considered spam, yes? #39, I think should stay whether he frequents or not. If he stays away or deigns to come back, he will still be 7.

It's Tradition

[TEVYE]

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

[TEVYE & PAPAS]

Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,

Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?

And who has the right, as master of the house,

To have the final word at home?

The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.

The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.

[GOLDE & MAMAS]

Who must know the way to make a proper home,

A quiet home, a kosher home?

Who must raise the family and run the home,

So Papa's free to read the holy books?

The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!

The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!

[sONS]

At three, I started Hebrew school. At ten, I learned a trade.

I hear they've picked a bride for me. I hope she's pretty.

The son, the son! Tradition!

The son, the son! Tradition!

[DAUGHTERS]

And who does Mama teach to mend and tend and fix,

Preparing me to marry whoever Papa picks?

The daughter, the daughter! Tradition!

The daughter, the daughter! Tradition!