Forty-Nine Days

keira

You know what I am thinking? There's a lot of meh going around these days, and I think we could use a lot more friendship and harmony, more love and tolerance.

So, if I may be so bold as to propose an alternative to One Hundred Push-ups...Forty-nine Days. And I promise it will be less taxing than physical exercise.

Here's the deal. It's really simple. For most days, you will need twenty-two minutes of time, plus whatever it takes to prepare each item, and to contemplate.

So here's the deal. All you have to do is click the links below for each day and watch the video(s). It's that simple. Discussion of the videos is strongly encouraged, it will help foster the atmosphere of friendship and tolerance this project is meant to do. So, without further ado, here is your schedule:

If, after realizing these are all episodes of MLP:FiM, you feel a burning desire to post something condescending and/or hateful, please do not. That defeats the purpose of this idea, as well as making you one of the people who really needs to learn the message of friendship and tolerance.

If, after realizing these are all episodes of MLP:FiM, you feel a burning desire to post something condescending and/or hateful, please do not. That defeats the purpose of this idea, as well as making you one of the people who really needs to learn the message of friendship and tolerance.

Damn it. I hate threads with an inbuilt "Nikki, do not be Nikki!" defence!

• 3 months later...

Due to Faust heading off, it only got signed for half a season (13 eps). I will also be watching it online, thankfully the eps are up on youtube within hours and Hasbro has been remarkably chill about said youtube videos existing.

Edited by Sylae
which makes sense, because bronies buy a lot more crap per capita than kids do

The missus and I are midway through season two in her anticipatory rewatch. Netflix is a strange and powerful thing, and even stranger and more powerful when available through a Nook.

And the missus will be very cross if I don't mention My Little Annotated Project, which is produced by her best friend, and is supposed to be some sort of adaptation done for the classroom or something... I confess, I haven't really looked into it. But I will be beaten senseless if I don't mention it. :p

The Silent Assassin refuses to watch any more until Twilight Sparkle swears fealty to him and joins in on the Crusade on All Things Pink.

Also, he thinks Pinkie Pie looks very chic with straight hair.

Dikiyoba could also derail this thread by complaining about all the decidedly non-friendly stuff in MLP:FIM, but that probably not go over as well.

You have aroused my curiosity. Let's hear them.

Edited by Sylae
I can think of one or two, but I of course have a touch of bias

Dikiyoba could also derail this thread by complaining about all the decidedly non-friendly stuff in MLP:FIM, but that probably not go over as well.

Only a few episodes in (and leaving out all the deleted ones) I haven't gotten to any decidedly unfriendly stuff. But the heavy-handed "believe in what you don't understand" message in S1E15 was jarring. Respecting people with religious belief does not entail respecting belief, let alone adopting it, in my view.

Quick, someone make a comprehensive beverage poll! Or at least an incredibly comprehensive booze poll.

i probably have sufficient booze knowledge to do this but i might hold off for a while since it hasn't been that long since the last incredibly comprehensive poll

Only a few episodes in (and leaving out all the deleted ones) I haven't gotten to any decidedly unfriendly stuff. But the heavy-handed "believe in what you don't understand" message in S1E15 was jarring. Respecting people with religious belief does not entail respecting belief, let alone adopting it, in my view.

so what you're saying is stevie wonder wouldn't have been a mlp fan

I don't think I have that. I saw it in my PS3 options. Does it come free with netflix, or is it something I have to go and buy?

It is a separate service. You get it free streaming if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, or you can pay to rent individual videos.

Amazon and Netflix are not a-filly-ated with each other. This would be something you watch on your computer.

Amazon Instant Video is available on the PS3.

You have aroused my curiosity. Let's hear them.

Bridal Gossip: Zecora is a zebra who wears stereotypical tribal African jewlery and has stereotypical tribal African masks and gourds in her house. All of the ponies in Ponyville think she's scary and creepy while she is doing ordinary things (or attempting to do so; no one would actually help her). Then Rarity actually faints at the sight of Zecora because zebras are just that ugly. When one of the younger ponies follows Zecora to her home, the main ponies are afraid that Zecora will hurt the child. In the process, they stumble into some poisonous plants. Zecora tries to warn them about the danger, but because she talks differently than the ponies, they percieve it as a threat, not a warning. The main ponies then reiterate that Zecora is creepy, scary, and dangerous before smashing up her house. Then they have the audacity to ask her to make the cure for the poisonous plants they came into contact with even though Twilight Sparkle had access to the exact same recipe and could have done it herself. Oh, and we also get treated to Fluttershy being embarrassed because the plant deepened her voice and a woman with a man's voice is hilarious, amirite?

Over a Barrel: People more qualified than I have already weighed in, so I'll let them talk.

Dog and Pony Show: Rarity gets kidnapped and enslaved. Her friends are worried for her. They go to save her, only to discover that she got the kidnappers to let her go by whining a lot. The others realize they were silly to think that Rarity couldn't take care of herself and praise her for her "wit". The episode is supposed to be a subversion of the "damsel in distress" trope, except that acting like a spoiled brat is exactly what damsels in distress do. Rarity didn't attempt to come up with an escape plan or make a break for it or anything. The only reason she got away was because the villians were too nice to use any sort of violence and too dumb to think of gagging her.

Luna Eclipsed: Princess Luna was evil. Then she returned to good. That doesn't stop the ponies from continuing to hold a holiday that demonizes her. Princess Luna comes to Ponyville because she is lonely and wants to make friends. Everyone is frightened of her because she only knows outdated customs. Because Princess Celestia, who has all the time in the world for the main characters, hasn't bothered to help her own sister find friends or adjust to modern social etiquette. Princess Luna is hurt and confused, but only Twilight Sparkle worries about her feelings. Everyone else is only concerned about their own fun and enjoyment. In the end, we learn that sometimes it's fun to be scared and that Princess Luna just has to live with being the outcast and scapegoat. Again.

Dragon Quest: Spike kidnaps a baby phoenix. He knows exactly where the parents are and exactly how horrible it is to be an orphan without others of your kind around, but he kidnaps the pheonix egg anyway.

Dikiyoba.

Bridal Gossip: Zecora is a zebra who wears stereotypical tribal African jewlery and has stereotypical tribal African masks and gourds in her house. All of the ponies in Ponyville think she's scary and creepy while she is doing ordinary things (or attempting to do so; no one would actually help her). Then Rarity actually faints at the sight of Zecora because zebras are just that ugly. When one of the younger ponies follows Zecora to her home, the main ponies are afraid that Zecora will hurt the child. In the process, they stumble into some poisonous plants. Zecora tries to warn them about the danger, but because she talks differently than the ponies, they percieve it as a threat, not a warning. The main ponies then reiterate that Zecora is creepy, scary, and dangerous before smashing up her house. Then they have the audacity to ask her to make the cure for the poisonous plants they came into contact with even though Twilight Sparkle had access to the exact same recipe and could have done it herself. Oh, and we also get treated to Fluttershy being embarrassed because the plant deepened her voice and a woman with a man's voice is hilarious, amirite?
To be fair, the entire point of this episode was to show that being afraid of someone or not liking them because they are different is wrong. They behaved badly in the beginning but learned their lesson.