Favorite RPG

Trenton.

Baldur's Gate? Dragon Age? Fallout? Planescape: Torment? Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? The Witcher? Arcanum?

My vote goes to Planescape. Combat is boring and usually easy, there isn't much in the way of equipment, and the game is actually quite small. It's also brilliant.

(Edit: KotOR is a best-seller. It's very popular and highly regarded. But best? No.)

—Alorael, who will give Nethergate and Mass Effect honorable mentions. The former doesn't quite have the polish for a greatest RPG, and the latter isn't quite an RPG.

Hmm...RPG...I always have a hard time picking favorites. I'll give you three of my favorites, in no particular order:

Chrono Trigger, Nethergate: Resurrection, TES3: Morrowind, and almost certainly other great games that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Edit: the original post asked about favorites, so that's what I'm giving; not necessarily claiming these are "best" according to some standard...

KotOR 2 was better, in that it was quite a bit deeper, dialogue- and story-wise. I think that that more than makes up for the fact that it's not finished. It's high on my list of favorites.

Geneforge is as well, and I usually state it as my favorite, because not only was it my very first RPG (And real computer game), but it's damn good too.

I suspect Planescape: Torment would be on the list as well, but it's so terribly bothersome and tedious to actually play that I've never managed to get very far in it.

Progress Quest, though, is and will always be the very pinnacle of gaming achievement.

Never played KOTOR 2 so I cant really make a fair decision. I loved KOTOR for its amazing weapons, secrets, the picking locks were familier, guns replacing archery with hitting chance increased like, eighty percent, because theyre main weapons. And it doesnt just have lightsabres, it also has swords too, like a double sided sword, and longswords. Plus you can get some nice Items to equipt that give bonuses, and then theres the main attraction. The force powers. You can speak with people, and choose what you say like in many RPG's, but you can use the jedi mind trick to help you, and you can use lightning, throw your sabres and swords, and add people to your party, like a R2D2 like droid, and a wookie, or even a (twilek?). Its the best game I ever played...

Sigh, if Only I hadent sold my XBOX and all my games for 2 packs of pokimon cards.

Originally Posted By: Space Between
I suspect Planescape: Torment would be on the list as well, but it's so terribly bothersome and tedious to actually play that I've never managed to get very far in it.

Same here. I'm going to give it another try one of these days.

Amongst games I've actually finished, I'm torn between the original Fallouts and the Baldur's Gate series.

Actually, I find that surprising. The game pulls a surprise switch into boring combat partway through, but there's a fairly long stretch before that where the combat is minimal enough that it shouldn't intrude on the text.

—Alorael, who considers PS:T very, very close to a graphical text adventure. The fact that the graphics are a little bit more interactive than a real text adventure doesn't change the fact that most of your adventure happens in text.

Favourites, vaguely in order:

Chrono Trigger

Exile II

Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers

Final Fantasy 3 (NES release only)

Dungeon Master II

Gladius

EDIT: Of other games mentioned, I am very fond of Nethergate, FF6, FF9, DW4; but I cannot rank them quite as highly as these.

the secret to enjoying planescape: torment: play as a mage, cheat to max out all your stats

no, really. you won't miss out on anything by trivialising the combat for yourself, I promise

Unfortunately, my experience with RPG's has been rather limited. I have played the games of Spiderweb Software, and also of Crystal Shard. I have played a smattering of other games, such as the three Fable games, terrible MMORPGS (but I am redundant), and several other random samples.

Of these, Geneforge gets my top vote as representative of the classier realm of roleplaying; Fable: The Lost Chapters gets the endorsement of a less complex role-playing system, but more of the basic hack-n-slash that still appeals to me.

Play-by-post role-playing games, on the other hand, are something of which I've had my fair share.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Duck in a Top Hat

I've never actually played the original Fallouts. Are they worth it?

Certainly, and they're pretty cheap now too.

Yeah, I saw them on Steam a while back for $10 each, so I'll probably check them out some time after I beat New Vegas.

JRPG? Chrono Trigger

Generally, I can't stand time travel oriented stories, and I still love this game. Anything that can get me so involved that I see over one of my usual hatreds has to be great.

Final Fantasy is all fine and good, I enjoy the Tales of [something]ia games, but my favorite over all remains Chrono Trigger. It's a cliché answer for a very good reason.

Runner up: Breath of Fire

Action RPG? Diablo II

Some puritans might decry me for calling this an RPG, but I don't care. I played the snot out of this game, and will still fire it up now and then. Smashing hordes of demonic baddies like a wrecking ball with swords is just so gratifying, as is the random nature of the game. And yes, I loved the original to pieces too.

Runner Up: Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Western RPG? The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

I'm going to come right out and say it: Dragon Age was overrated.

That out of the way, Oblivion was really my first exposure to the Elder Scrolls games, and to Bethesda, and honestly, very few games have captured my attention and obsession quite the same. The mammoth amount of customization and content out for this game makes it all the more sweeter, and saw me play though this game on a small army of characters. And, of course Sheogorath has to be one of if no my absolute most favorite psychopaths in a game to date.

Runner Up: Dragon Age II

Yeah, I did like it better than the original, so sue me.

Adapted RPG? Neverwinter Nights

There are a myriad of D&D adapted games out there, but of the (very few) ones I've played, NwN was the best. To me, it reminded me so much of Blades of Exile with how much custom content and how many player made modules it had. Add on a pair of expansions, and you've got a game I can still play off and on to this day.

The sequel, however, by Obsidian? … *Shudder*

Runner Up: Planescape Torment

Indie RPG? Avernum/Exile 2

I've only played a few indie RPGs (not counting everything by Spiderweb), but out of all of them (counting everything by Spiderweb) Exile 2 was my first, and, if only due to an obscene nostalgia bias, remains my favorite. It has more features and options than the original without feeling as formulaic and sequential as Ruined World. I can't wait to see what Jeff does with this game the third time around.

Runner up: Exile/Avernum 3

Best RPG over all?

Chrono Trigger was good, but an isolated and boxed in, stand alone beast that, even with it's wonderful array of characters and multiple endings. It was a game that had little capacity for evolution.

Diablo II will always dominate its genre, unless the upcoming sequel disproves my misgivings. That said, it is a pretty shallow game even if its pure, cathartic fun is rarely matched.

Oblivion has excellent customization capacities like no one's business, but in the absence of those, this is… The content diversity is abysmal for its size, the mechanics and leveling system are awful, and the game itself is just plain unstable and randomly crashes whenever it feels like. Really, this is a game made great by its community developers, not its parent company.

Avernum 2, and indeed all Spiderweb titles are sadly held back by the simple fact that Jeff is only one man, and not of Kryptonian decent either. In a perfect world, he'd have an infinite budget and an army of clones to match the most macho of game studios, but this world is far from perfect, and he can only do so much.

So, surprisingly, out of all the RPGs on this list, I have to go with Neverwinter Nights as my all time favorite. It has even greater customizing strength than Oblivion with excellent standalone power. The gameplay can be a little awkward, but the depth of the story and capacity for range is immense, and the replay value is unbeatable.

But again, who ever green lighted shoveling off the sequel off to those hacks at Obsidian should be constantly followed around by an invisible gnome that makes farting sounds.

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega

Adapted RPG? Neverwinter Nights
There are a myriad of D&D adapted games out there, but of the (very few) ones I've played, NwN was the best. To me, it reminded me so much of Blades of Exile with how much custom content and how many player made modules it had. Add on a pair of expansions, and you've got a game I can still play off and on to this day.

The sequel, however, by Obsidian? … *Shudder*
I'm glad to see someone else who prefers the original to the sequel. Many people like the sequel better, but they are wrong.

I've played very little of the original, and only third-party modules, not the original campaigns. I only played to familiarize myself with the engine, in connection with my work on the ScriptEase project (and even then very little of my work actually interacted with NWN). So I can't really judge what the original is like.

On the other hand, I own NWN2, and yeah, it's a disappointment. I couldn't force myself to play past Old Owl Well, so I ended up reading this LP to see how it ended. Has Obsidian ever finished a game? It's frustrating, because there's a kernel of a good game with good themes in there, amidst all the cruft (and creepy stalker love interests that make the plot of Twilight seem sane).

EDIT: Looks like I finished the first chapter before quitting. But yeah, Old Owl Well was pretty crappy.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I've played very little of the original, and only third-party modules, not the original campaigns. I only played to familiarize myself with the engine, in connection with my work on the ScriptEase project (and even then very little of my work actually interacted with NWN). So I can't really judge what the original is like.

On the other hand, I own NWN2, and yeah, it's a disappointment. I couldn't force myself to play past Old Owl Well, so I ended up reading this LP to see how it ended. Has Obsidian ever finished a game? It's frustrating, because there's a kernel of a good game with good themes in there, amidst all the cruft (and creepy stalker love interests that make the plot of Twilight seem sane).

EDIT: Looks like I finished the first chapter before quitting. But yeah, Old Owl Well was pretty crappy.

How many perfectly good games has Bioware handed off to Obsidian to make crappy sequels of? NWN 2, KotOR 2, and... any others?

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I'm glad to see someone else who prefers the original to the sequel. Many people like the sequel better, but they are wrong.

Well... I suppose the adapted 3.5 rule system might gain it some support, but the game itself is just... gaaaaaah!

Slow, clunky, the voice acting is EVEN WORSE, the story is garbage, most of the companions are unlikable, the transition and connection between the first and second game was horrendously bad (though that could be redesigns on WotC's part) the expansions were terrible, any returning NPC was phoned in, the "exotic" races were barely addressed...

The ENDING! Good lord, was that a joke!?

I could go on.

Really there are legions of reasons why the custom content for NwN is greater than the libraries of some 3rd world countries, and NwN2 is a resounding echo of void and disappointment. More than anything, this proves how lousy the sequel really was.

I played NWN and found that it was like using D&D to play a clunkier version of Diablo. Third party modules were much better, and I hear the expansions were improvements, but the game itself didn't match the engine very well.

Then, NWN2. The engine itself was so clunky that I couldn't bear to get through more than the first act, and I can still play Fallout.

—Alorael, who can forgive a lousy story if the characters are compelling (Dragon Age II) or lack of pretty much anything else if the gameplay is fun (pretty much all action-RPGs). Having a lousy engine on a lousy plot with huge potential is... like many Blades of Exile/Avernum, but making it worse and only including a scenario worse than the much-maligned Za-Khazi Run.

The expansions for NwN the original were very good - better than the original, in fact, and had a lot more story and focus on said story in comparison to the original campaign.

NwN2 was... completely unsalvageable. The first "epic" expansion was no better than the first abysmal campaign, and the second expansion was... there was potential there, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to save the game. It also had a lot of problems ranging from balance to flow to just plain unconscionable loading times. I mean, NwN2's loading was already as bad as a cross-eyed musketeer with epilepsy, but Storm of Zehir was that plus an earthquake and as much caffeine as Starbucks goes through in a week.

Yeah, NwN's strange, strange hybrid of real time and turn based combat did make it a whole lot clunkier than it perhaps should have been, but aside from that it was a very good game. NwN2... again, I've already railed on this game like Amtrak on a bender and I could still go on.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
On the other hand, I own NWN2, and yeah, it's a disappointment. I couldn't force myself to play past Old Owl Well, so I ended up reading this LP to see how it ended.

oh hey this guy. he's a cool dude. i'd tell everyone to go read my Might & Magic LPs on that site except they kind of push the boundaries of the PG rating sometimes

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega
Well... I suppose the adapted 3.5 rule system might gain it some support, but the game itself is just... gaaaaaah!

as far as gameplay goes, temple of elemental evil is clearly the best 3.5 game anyway

at least once you install the huge fanpatch to fix the crippling bugs

that's kind of a recurring theme with troika games

Originally Posted By: Lilith

as far as gameplay goes, temple of elemental evil is clearly the best 3.5 game anyway

Can't say I ever played that one. Closest I came to it was... probably an NwN module by the same name that I don't think I ever actually downloaded or played. ...

So yeah, no where near it. :x

Originally Posted By: Lilith

I have that installed on my computer, but I have yet to play it. I probably should at some point.