Triple Dantifer, Part 1

Dantius

Aha! Tricked by the lure of crossword-style puzzles and arbitrarily assigned scores, you've inadvertently entered my celebratory 3,000.00 post thread! However, instead of being trite and boring and posting pictures involving the number 3000 somehow, I thought I'd throw you all a party! And not just any party, the kind I went to in college! With cheap vodka passed through a Brita filter to drink and spreadsheets for entertainment!

Wohoo!!!

Just kidding. I can't send vodka through wifi (yet!), and some of you are probably underage, so it's BYOB. I can still provide the data and spreadsheets, though!

Code:
TOTAL POSTS:  3,000TOTAL POSTS IN DATABASE: 2,956AVG. POSTS/DAY: 4.1AVG. POSTS/DAY, 2009: 5.3AVG. POSTS/DAY, 2010: 4.2AVG. POSTS/DAY, YTD: 3.3

Ooh, and let's compare this to some other top posters! Here's a table:

Click to reveal.. (Top Posters)
2dtb9j.png

...that also comes in handy graph form!

Click to reveal.. (Chart!)
2419ohe.png

Now, that's just the overall average from the sign-up date. It doesn't count the variations that inevitably occur. I would have broken it down month-by-month or at least year-by-year for everyone on the TP list + me, but I don't have a) the time to do it by hand, since it took me an hour to do it for my 3K posts, or B) the computer expertise to write a script to do it for me. So here's just mine, complete with a 6 month moving average!

Click to reveal.. (Chart AND Graph!)
i3ufis.png

And, of course, I then went to all the trouble of recording what date I made every 20th post (not at the time I made the posts, not even I'm that insane) and painstakingly assembled a cumulative graph detailing the inexorable rise of my now-massive postcount! I would have plotted the posts per day on the same graph, but because of the way Excel formats the dates, the result was a mess, so I just tossed in a linear regression instead. Enjoy!

Click to reveal.. (Graph!)
357q72f.png

WOOOOOHOOOOO PARRRRRTY!

Variations are one thing and can be written off. Total absences are something else, and are worth accounting for. In particular, TM, Drakey, Aran, and I have all been 100% absent for approximately half the time our accounts have existed.

Also, I would really have enjoyed it if you had included your older posts and broken them down by, uh, category.

EDIT: Also, three cheers for not just posting pictures.

EDIT 2: Hmm, I just noticed that Drakey and I have almost identical stats, and that I showed up right around the time he disappeared. That would explain a few things, wouldn't it?

Bah, all this posting is clearly just a speculative bubble. You watch, it'll all crash. We'll be scrounging around here desperately, reading and re-reading the two or three fresh posts per week that come in. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

It'll be a well-deserved doom when it comes: chickens roosting, karma recycling, what went around coming back around in its turn. Our gilded age cannot endure. The unequal distribution of posts cries out for redress.

Why should a few fat cats enjoy ninety percent of all Spiderweb posts, while everyone else has to share a bare few hundred between them? And don't anyone give me any of this Ayn Rand nonsense about how those few members with high post counts actually created all those posts themselves. Give me a break. They only did that because an unjust society enabled them to do so.

Comrades, it is time for the new age to dawn. Henceforth, everyone with more than, let's see, yes, 5250 posts shall be recognized as the inhuman class enemies that they are. Their bloated post counts shall be seized by the proletariat! And they shall have to labor honestly to repay their debts to society, by writing posts for the heretofore downtrodden and oppressed. From each according to his ability, to each according to his self-esteem.

Lurkers of the world, unite!

Originally Posted By: Micawber
This thread made me giggle; I can't think of a more appropriate way to celebrate Dantius's 3000th post than launching a marxist manifesto.

One thing, the second graph has a curious straight line trend. Can anyone explain. What is the x axis anyway.

I just assigned a numerical value to the names in sequential order- TM is 1, Eph is 2, Drakey is 3, Slarty is 4, and so on, to make it look nice. The rates are ordered from smallest to largest, so it looks linear, but there's really only one variable that matters, and it's the one plotted on the y axis. The x axis is just the names.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I'd better go invest in gold posts before the post market collapses and post rates inflate.
Easy for you to say, you aren't living off less than 200 posts. You live in a nice, comfy Spiderweb home, while the poor fend for our lives in the little corners of the screen, collecting the little forgotten crumbs you leave for us to feed our whole families with.

You're right!!! We should alter the CoC to require a Living Postrate! We don't have a Minimum Postrate, amazingly, but the poor need one! But it should not be just a Minimum Postrate for subsistence living. We should mandate a Living Postrate, which will be a fair and just daily rate of posts for all board users, and which make sure that all make enough posts to fully enrich their lives and those of their families!

Congrats, Dantius.

If his is killed and his posts distributed, will the distribution be weighted or even? Will Alorael receive more or less posts? Will the postrate gap grow, shrink, or just be translated up a few posts across the board?

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Now all you need is a graph of members years of posting versus a log scale of total posts. smile

All this talk of scaling gave me a great idea for a gimmick. Post at specific rates so that, when total posts are graphed with respect to time, shapes are formed. Or at least standard mathematical models.

Nikki, you have a laughably small post rate of 1.8 posts per day. That puts you below ever single person I analyzed, including TM, who has been gone for the past 2 years. Given current rates, you'll hit the TP list in about a year and three months.

Of course, that also isn't factoring in your competition, SOT or *i, both of which have very similar post counts. So if one of them decides to make a sprint for the TP list (aside: *i won't do this, since he's the admin and has to have dignity, though SOT also probably has enough dignity to not do it either. So congratulations, you have the dubious honor of having the least dignity of people almost on the top 10 list, unless Salmon decides *i isn't Hitler in disguise and comes back, and that would throw my number all to hell), then you'd probably have to shoot to knock them off or aim for TM's slot at 7K as opposed to 6.2K. That mean that, given your rate, it might take up to 2 years 2 months to get a slot, but by then I'd have nearly overtaken you, so you certainly wouldn't get to keep it for very long.

tl;dr:

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
no.