Independence Day

Callie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a note totally unrelated to Nikki's plot to recreate the British Empire, why is Britain's national anthem still God Save The [monarch gender title] and not Rule Britannia? I mean, one is a song about essentially ruling a quarter of the world, and the other is about a hereditary monarch who's a relic of an age that ended like a century ago. And it's the same with America. The Star Spangled Banner is a terrible national anthem. It should totally be America the Beautiful.

The French and Russians managed to pick good national anthems, why can't we?

Originally Posted By: Dantius
On a note totally unrelated to Nikki's plot to recreate the British Empire, why is Britain's national anthem still God Save The [monarch gender title] and not Rule Britannia? I mean, one is a song about essentially ruling a quarter of the world, and the other is about a hereditary monarch who's a relic of an age that ended like a century ago. And it's the same with America. The Star Spangled Banner is a terrible national anthem. It should totally be America the Beautiful.

Well, for one thing, Britannia does not, in fact, rule the waves.

The Star-Spangled Banner probably won by being written first, as it dates to the war of 1812, while America the Beautiful must not have been written until sometime after we conquered the West Coast.

why is Britain's national anthem still God Save The [monarch gender title] and not Rule Britannia?

Land of Hope and Glory is a better song than either of them. The lyrics are admittedly imperialistic, but then everyone believes that of us anyway, so why let that ruin a good tune?

What exactly is wrong with the Star-Spangled Banner? I believe that it is a great National Anthem and should never be replaced.

ALERT: HISTORICAL TEACHING IN PROGRESS

The Star-Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 originally as a poem called The Defence of Fort McHenry. Key was onboard the HMS Minden on the night of September 13, 1814 during the Battle of Baltimore at Fort McHenry. He started writing the poem on the 15th and finished the next day. Key gave the poem to his brother-in-law Joseph Nicholson who saw that the words best fit the music of the melody The Anacreontic Song that was composed by English composer John Stafford Smith. The music was written in the mid 1760's and first published in 1778. In 1889, Benjamin Tracy made The Star-Spangled Banner the official song to be played during the raising of the flag. In 1916, President Wilson ordered that the song be played during military and other related occasions. On March 3, 1931, President Hoover signed a law making the Star-Spangled Banner the countries first National Anthem.

America the Beautiful was originally a poem called Pikes Peak written by Katharine Lee Bates in 1895. It was later renamed America for publication The music (commonly known as the music for America the Beautiful) was composed by Samuel A. Ward in 1882 for another song titled O Mother Dear, Jerusalem. The words and music were not put together until 1910. It was only then that the title America the Beautiful was named.

There are several things that America the Beautiful has going for it that The Star-Spangled Banner does not.
1. Easier to sing.
2. More melodic.
3. Invokes God.

Post #568 cool

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Yeah, it's kind of funny that they headline it with a minority of people not knowing the exact date, and give less attention to the more significant issue that almost as many people don't know who you guys declared independence from

touché

The Star Spangled Banner lacks any memorable aspects in my opinion, so much so that I accidentally say "that my hair's too short" instead of "by the dawn's early light."

Originally Posted By: *i
Let's all try to avoid statements that could provoke nationalist hostilities, okay? smile

Well, technically England isn't a sovereign state, so provoking English people isn't provoking nationalist hostilities*. It's more like provoking, ehh, there isn't really a US equivalent. Regional hostilities? South v. North hostilities? Something outdated and only used to create division, at any rate.

I'm confused, Solberg. Which song are you arguing for?

Also, if you get a national anthem that invokes God, I want one that invokes God being Dead. Because while I'm not an atheist, I hold that they deserve the same respect and representation as the formally Abrahamic.

Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
There are several things that America the Beautiful has going for it that The Star-Spangled Banner does not.
1. Easier to sing.
2. More melodic.
3. Invokes God.

Post #568 cool

Using the above criteria you could pick Irving Berlin's God Bless America.

1. Easier to sing.
2. More melodic.
3. Invokes God.

Post #568 cool

The motto "In God we trust" comes from one of the rarely-sung later verses of The Star-Spangled Banner.

Speaking of those unfortunate later verses:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
According to the historian Robin Blackburn, the words "the hireling and slave" allude to the fact that the British attackers had many ex-slaves in their ranks, who had been promised liberty and demanded to be placed in the battle line "where they might expect to meet their former masters."

So yeah, the national anthem includes some gloating about winning a battle against our former slaves.

I think there's something to be said about the Star Spangled Banner being a song about war and America the Beautiful being a peaceful song, but I'm not the one to say it because I like the Star Spangled Banner better.

Most Americans, whether they think the government is terrible or some politician is terrible, are still fiercely patriotic to (about?) the idea of America. Also, at sporting events I think it's more of a pump-up to hear about the epic battles of yore than beautiful countryside.

The French ... managed to pick good national anthems, why can't we?

Just a quick note: My French book last year had the verb "égorger" in it, which means "to slit the throat." This verb was included because it is part of the French national anthem. I mean, I have nothing against a gory national anthem, but let's not forget that the French one comes from a rather bloody point in history.

The Marseillaise is down right gory. And it's not all easy on the ear. It begins well, but then there are several lines in the middle that just kind of rumble along awkwardly. Then comes, "Aux armes, citoyens!", though, and it's a very strong finish. It's hard not to end up standing on the table tossing your hat and waving your sword.

I would rather we had Dopes and Tories or Rule Britannia than God Save the Queen, and wouldn't really have a problem with either.

I used to really like Jerusalem and probably would choose that as my favourite replacement anthem, but it tends to get adopted by right-wingers and facists all too easily, which is a shame. (As an aside, the only left-wing group that I know to use it is the Labour Party, and the less said about those the better.) Poor Blake. frown

Edit: Apparently, Jerusalem is used as the anthem for the English Cricket Team, so I guess that's something.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
The Marseillaise is down right gory. And it's not all easy on the ear. It begins well, but then there are several lines in the middle that just kind of rumble along awkwardly. Then comes, "Aux armes, citoyens!", though, and it's a very strong finish. It's hard not to end up standing on the table tossing your hat and waving your sword.

And watering your fields with blood would be a really poor idea. I mean, blood has the same saline content as seawater, and no farmer in their right mind would try and water his crops with seawater!

Plus, it's impure blood. That's got to be even worse!

. I mean, blood has the same saline content as seawater, and no farmer in their right mind would try and water his crops with seawater!

So that's why deserted battlefields make such excellent barren lands, I always found this strange because I had the notion that human corpses would make good fertilizers wink

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES

In that post I wasn't arguing for any song, I was just stating some facts. If I had to choose, I would choose The Star-Spangled Banner.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
1. Easier to sing.
2. More melodic.
3. Invokes God.

Post #568 cool

The motto "In God we trust" comes from one of the rarely-sung later verses of The Star-Spangled Banner.

The Star-Spangled Banner only mentions God in passing. America the Beautiful gives Him praise for His creative work.

Post #570 cool

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES

In that post I wasn't arguing for any song, I was just stating some facts. If I had to choose, I would choose The Star-Spangled Banner.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
1. Easier to sing.
2. More melodic.
3. Invokes God.

Post #568 cool

The Star-Spangled Banner only mentions God in passing. America the Beautiful gives Him praise for His creative work.

Post #570 cool

If America is more beautiful than other countries, I'm not sure if that actually reflects well on God, seeing as He created the ugly ones, too. tongue

Originally Posted By: Star-Spangled Banner
O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation.
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust;”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

That's the last verse. In anthem form it only has the first verse and ignores the other three.

America is often considered two continents in North America and one continent in South America, or so I've been told by South Americans.

—Aorael, who can't get worked up about America not being synonymous with the United States. There are many countries that are "The United States of Place" or "The Something Republic of Somewhere" and everyone calls them Place or Somewhere. Why does the USA have to be different for picking a continent as its place? It's usually reasonably clear from context what you mean.

Originally Posted By: Hearing Hands
—Aorael, who can't get worked up about America not being synonymous with the United States. There are many countries that are "The United States of Place" or "The Something Republic of Somewhere" and everyone calls them Place or Somewhere. Why does the USA have to be different for picking a continent as its place? It's usually reasonably clear from context what you mean.

Wait, so are those people over there from Australia the continent, country, or island?

Originally Posted By: Master1
Australia is also a continent, country, and island.
That's a big island.
According to the Bible, aren't the kingdoms of the Earth controlled by Satan? So wouldn't that mean that they are praising Satan, making them devil worshipers?
But weren't the Americans fleeing from British persecution? So wouldn't that make them cowards? And weren't there slaves during that time? So you had to be a certain race to be free? Doesn't that mean that not everyone was free?
But according to the Bible, aren't lots of the behaviors in the U.S.(Gay Rights, abortion, etc.) against the laws of God? (Sabbath, Dietary Laws, etc.)

I have no intention to offend anyone or be jailed, it's just that I question why certain things are said. And I'm using the Bible because that's the book you have to swear on when your in court, even though they never actually use it.

Originally Posted By: Karoka
According to the Bible, aren't the kingdoms of the Earth controlled by Satan? So wouldn't that mean that they are praising Satan, making them devil worshipers?)

The Bible also credits the Abrahmistic God with creating everything. That line deals with creation and preservation, not control. Semantics can actually be important.

As for the US government and religion, don't get me started.

As for continents, I would just define it as one of the seven accepted continents of earth. Then again, someone here will have to argue semantics there.

Originally Posted By: Karoka
According to the Bible, aren't the kingdoms of the Earth controlled by Satan? So wouldn't that mean that they are praising Satan, making them devil worshipers?
I am not a Bible scholar. Where does this interpretation come from?
But weren't the Americans fleeing from British persecution? So wouldn't that make them cowards? And weren't there slaves during that time? So you had to be a certain race to be free? Doesn't that mean that not everyone was free?The Americans weren't fleeing in the War of Independence, and the song isn't about that; it was written in the War of 1812. America fought, in large part, to be left alone and to conquer British territory. And in terms of the song, they were defending, not fleeing.

The matter of slaves was a sensitive subject for America's love of freedom for the next fifty years, of course. America had a very mixed approach to freedom for all with an asterisk.
Quote:
But according to the Bible, aren't lots of the behaviors in the U.S.(Gay Rights, abortion, etc.) against the laws of God? (Sabbath, Dietary Laws, etc.)
Firstly, the song is much older than a lot of controversies. There was no gay marriage, or discussion thereof, nor was abortion a common medical practice.

Secondly, early American religion, both among the general public and among the Founding Fathers, was not much like current Protestant evangelists, or even mainstream American semi-non-religiousness. Trying to read it through modern religious views doesn't quite work right.

—Alorael, who is glad you like the PDN. His every choice, when not just a throwaway name, is made for your delectation and approval.